Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Troy

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM
besotted with buttons

wow- that is pretty impressive! Thanks for the photos

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Hector's Death questions

While I'm watching Troy I have two questions.

Why did Hector fight Achilles at all? He didn't have to and it wouldn't do any good because Achilles would just keep killing good people. If he fought for honor, he shouldn't have because honor only gets you hurt or killed most of the time. Fighting Achilles left his country without a general and he knew that if he died, the Greeks would have an easy time getting into Troy's gates. Why did he choose to fight and die knowing his country would be on the line?(and he berated Paris for bringing Helen)

Two, after Hector dies, Achilles drags him behind his chariot. I know it's in the legend, but the archers are just standing there. Their prince is being humiliated after he died and they do nothing to stop Achilles from dishonoring him. Why do they let their Prince suffer humilation at the hands of a monster like Achilles?
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Adoring

Hi Guin,

I don't remember what justifications were given in the film for Hector's solitary combat against Achilles but in the Iliad, Hector is tricked into it by Athena. She took the form of one Hector's younger brothers (not Paris) and convinced him that they would fight Achilles together. When Hector turns to face Achilles in battle, Athena, in her disguise, disappears.
The gods had decided to destroy the city of Troy long before Hector and Achilles fought. Hector's actions were nearly irrelevant and there would have been no course of action open to him that would have saved either himself or his city.
I'm not certain why none of the Trojan archers killed Achilles while he was desecrating the body of Hector but Homer says that the death of Hector took the heart (and the fight) out of the entire Trojan population.
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
chronicler of Ibelin

Location: Germany - some miles northwest of Hamburg - but in my mind I'm living at Ibelin, Port Royal...
@ Guin: The first question is answered the best by Hector's feeling guilty for the killing of Patroklos. He considered it himself as wrong to have killed a boy younger than his little brother Paris - even though he wasn't able to recognize the disguised boy as no match for him. Hector doesn't use to fight for honour, you're right, but to hear a challenge to a duel like that from Achilles and refusing it would have ruined his reputation as leader of the Trojan army. So he was forced by his position as a prince of Troy and leader of the Trojan army to accept the challenge and had to fight against Achilles, whether he would or not .

The second question once was my own. I think, I found some practical answers - beyond the fact, that this scene is exactly taken from the legend:

1. In those former days it was usual to give the winner of such a duel safe conduct; means, it would have been a sacrilege to attack Achilles after his victory over Hector. (I know, it's hard to follow this unwritten rule, especially, when the winner is committing a sacrilege of his own. But to attack somone, who is committing sacrilege does not make the own sacrilege better...)

2. The outcoming of a duel was considered as a judgement of the Gods. To intervene in such an ordeal would have provoke the Gods - no one would have risked to do so, because this would mean the doom of their realm (here especially Troy). [Well, in a story of mine, I changed this special part of "Troy" a bit and Paris stops the fight with an arrow, which is hitting Achilles at his famous heel - and getting verbal slaps in the face from Hector and his father Priam, but I couldn't just resist...]

3. The Trojans are totally shocked, on the one hand by Hectors unexpected death, on the other hand by this evil abuse of Hectors corpse by Achilles. The only one, who moves at all, is Paris. But it's clearly seeable, that he does not wage to order an attack on Achilles, although he wants do do so.

Why he does not do this? First of all he had learnt, that his former spontaneously actions mostly led leastwise into problems, if not into a catastrophe - like his taking away Helena from Sparta. Paris isn't sure, if this decision would be accepted by his father and the General Glaucus. He will not act against them, because he is fearing to evoke additional evil on Troy (he is giving himself the blame for having provoked the war), if he steps into a judgement of the Gods (see No. 2)

4. The simple archers won't do anything without an order. Hector forbid them to shoot at Achilles before the duel - and after his death no one is giving an opposite order. Soldiers are soldiers - they do nothing without order... No order, no shooting.

The little problem, which no Trojan can know, is Achilles' wrong thirst for revenge. Patroklos had slipped into sandals, which were much too big for his small feet. He took the risk volunteeringly and without knowing, what was waiting for him. Therefore Achilles' fury is not blessed by theGods - but who told that to the Trojans?

After all: Whenever I see this special scene, my fists get clenched and I want to slap Achilles for doing this and Paris for not doing what he wants to do in this scene, since the Gods won't blame him. But look in Paris' eyes: He's swearing revenge - and his hour will come...

What man is man, who doesn't make the world better?

Balian of Ibelin

Last edited by Gundolf; July 30th, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
In Love

I was slightly disappointed with some of this movie, then again I am disappointed anytime they cast Brad Pitt in a movie. I do not like him, personally I felt as though had Orlando and Eric Bana not been in this, I wouldn't have watched as long as I did. With this being said, danggg I love Orlando in this time period.
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Orlando's Shadow King

Anniversary of Troy today!

Since there was already a thread about Kingdom of Heaven's anniversary, I decided to do one about Troy today!

7 years since we first saw our beloved Prince Paris!

Here's a little something to celebrate:

(Just pretend Helen isn't there)

I wish Prince Paris would look at me like that!
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
chronicler of Ibelin

Location: Germany - some miles northwest of Hamburg - but in my mind I'm living at Ibelin, Port Royal...
Very good idea, Guin! Thank you for starting this thread.

In rememberance of the Troy-starting-day I just read my own film-book about "Troy" this week again and finished it today.

What man is man, who doesn't make the world better?

Balian of Ibelin
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
In Love

Oh geez, I remember that May 14th embarrassingly well. I was in 10th grade and it was the week before finals. I had a paper due that I thought was only supposed to be 300 words, but I got to school and found out it had to be 800 words! So I spent the whole day adding onto it. Such a stressful day, but seeing Orlando/Paris on the screen that night made it all worth it.
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Passionately Enthralled

seven years woow ! I remember when I saw it xD I always love that movie lol Great idea Guin ^^