Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Troy

Old June 7th, 2004, 06:06 PM
besotted with buttons

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/whatson/greeksummer/

several of us were talking about going to see this exhibition- details in the link..and just wondering if there was any others of you might be interested..it is on this summer- but time passes quickly..
maybe go to see the film after if it is still hanging there at the cinemas..

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/whatson/greeksummer/

several of us were talking about going to see this exhibition- details in the link..and just wondering if there was any others of you might be interested..it is on this summer- but time passes quickly..
maybe go to see the film after if it is still hanging there at the cinemas..
ECK! Totally forgot about this I'd love to go, but don't know any of the dates. Would have to be a weekend, as can't make it during the week. Also great idea on the going to see the movie afterwards. We can all drool and whimper together

Edited to add: Just checked dates and I see there is a Troy Day on the 19 June (Saturday)

Quote:
Troy Day
This day explores the making of the film Troy and the lasting power of the story of the Trojan War from ancient times to the present. Our special speaker is Daniel Petersen who has tracked the making of the film. The day also includes a lecture by curator Lesley Fitton and readings by the Actors of Dionysus
There is an entrance fee, but since it's about the film, it might be the best one to go to? And then the movie afterwards?

Angel
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Master Elf

I was thinking about going to Sat June 19th one since it's about the movie and I can't make it during the week either. If you are going to that one I'd love to join you gals.
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Elements

19th June sounds like a good day to me
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Rozzan

Yes I will try and arrange to be able come that day if possible. It would be a really special day! Shall we go for it girls? Where shall we meet ? What time? We would need to Pm each other with details and how we could recognize each other. I think it would be a good day. We are all intelligent girls :) at least i think so from our posts and we could talk about things and also drool! What a combination! Also I'm sure it would add an extra dimension to our time on the board if we had met each other in real life.
Please return with your thoughts girls?
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Angel_of_the_West

THis is looking positive...the 19th looking very possible Ah maybe we can discuss times and places here, gets a bit tricky having to PM all over the place.

Angel
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:36 AM
besotted with buttons

ok so the stuff on the 19th is between 11am and 4 pm- i will try and find out what time those lectures are on- if we have to book etc- and then get back to you. i have an issue- if the film goes on too late we will have ? number of women wandering around london on their own- all to completely different train stations, late at night..so ideally we need a late afternoon showing- somewhere near the BM- and also time to grab something to eat /drink in between. i haven't been to the BM for years so can't remember what nearby..anyone know it better?

Old June 8th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Catz

Ladies,
good plan - will check to see if I can make it.
The British Museum is Tottenham Court Road way. 10 -15 mins walk to Leicester Square.
would be great to meet up.
xxx
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM
besotted with buttons

excellent catz- well i have emailed them to find out the lecture times- i think there are 2 talks that day aswell as the other bits of the exhibition, so hopefully they will get back soon, will be easy to find out about Troy in leicester square- good that it is so close- and loads of places to grab foo/drink -thanks for that catz- it is slowly coming back to me out of the deep recesses of my memory..

Old June 8th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Rozzan

I have Ok'd it with my family... They will hold the fort here so I will be able to come on the 19th. like Nuit said I would prefer to go to the earlier talk and film, rather than later as I need to get a reasonable train back home too from Kings Cross.
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM
besotted with buttons

WOW OK this looks good- this is the plan for the day at themuseum- plus they show the film at 4.30pm!!
what do you reckon- we need to get tickets...

Troy day

BP Lecture Theatre, Clore Education Centre
Saturday 19 June 2004

10.30 Registration

11.00 The Search for Homer’s Heroes
Lesley Fitton, curator of Greek Bronze age antiquities at the British Museum, looks at the myth of the Trojan War and the archaeological background to the world of Homer

12.00 Dramatic readings
Paul Currier and Alice Parsloe from the Actors of Dionysus read extracts from Homer’s Iliad and other works of literature inspired by the story of Troy

13.15 Lunch (please make your own arrangements)

14.15 The making of Troy
How do you bring the Troy story to life for today’s audiences? Daniel Petersen,
son of the director of Troy gives his personal account of the making of the film

15.15 Troy retold: the Trojan myth through the ages

16.00 Close

Cost: £12, BM Friends £10, young people 12 -18 £8

Screening of Troy
The British Museum is delighted to present the newly released Troy, London’s most popular film. With Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Orlando Bloom, Diane Kruger, Brian Cox, Sean Bean, Brendan Gleeson and Peter O’Toole. With kind permission of Warner Bros Pictures.
Director: Wolfgang Petersen
2004, 163 mins, cert 15
Saturday 19 June, 16.30
BP Lecture Theatre
Cost: £5, concessions and those with ticket to Troy Day £3

Bookings: call the British Museum Box Office on 020 7323 8181, 10.00 – 16.45 daily.
Or send a cheque, payable to ‘The British Museum Great Court Ltd’ with your name,
address and title of the event to: Box Office, the British Museum, Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3DG

Also book online at www. thebritishmuseum

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Master Elf

Sounds great. Have you all got tickets? I haven't so if you all have then I'll have to book soon as well. I'll have to go down from Leicester so I'll be catching the train back from Kings Cross as well. And I'll probably take my sister with me.

EDIT: I can't remember how to get to BM. Where and when are we going to meet?
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Oh this looks really fantastic!!! Going to try and also convince another friend to come along, if that is all right? Will be so great to meet you all Now do we all just go about booking for ourselves? I guess that would be the best? Or anyone else got another idea?

And how will we recognise each other?

Angel
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:45 PM
besotted with buttons

no tickets yet..was still figuring out numbers, but we can all book seperately or in little batches- doesn't really matter. i guess we could meet outside the museum at 10.15-(early start!) got three quarters of an hour then before it starts- i might take sandwiches.. it is a pretty tight schedule AND you have to see the costumes and stuff

recognising each other- daft grins and dark rings under our eyes?

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Master Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_of_the_West
And how will we recognise each other?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Well we know the one with lunch box will be nuit.
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:53 PM
besotted with buttons

well we either have to carry something or send photos..or both..my lunch bowx is fairly big though :)

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Master Elf

If nuit gets there first with her BIG lunch box, we can all gather around her!
Old June 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Elements

Maybe we should all get those I *heart* Orlando pants that Fairy put on Paris and wave them around

This sounds totally cool, I did consider telling my brother as I know he would be interested, but as he would more than likely ruining my squeeing, I think I will keep it quiet and hope that he has army things booked that weekend I think as long as we choose a sensible place to meet, we shouldn't have too much of a problem finding people. I mean, how hard can it be to go to London and meet people you have never met before? There aren't that many people in London
Old June 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
besotted with buttons

catz- you know if there is just one main entrance-? really can't remember

Old June 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Rozzan

Hi my husband says we could meet somewhere in the British museum. he says there is a place called the great court with a cafe. Or if someone knows a particular rendevouz point they could give us directions. perhaps we should swap mobile phone numbers too in case anyone gets delayed on their train and needs to be met later or something.

I will book my ticket tonight on the phone. Is that Ok?

Also master Elf I will be catching a train from Bedford, Thats probably the Midland mainline one from Leicester. I know i would not necesarrily be able to find you on the train unless you rang me with your train time and tell me which carriage you are in but we could travel home together I suppose if we wanted to leave at the same time.

Ok girls just edited to add that i have just booked my ticket. make sure they book you in for the film afterwards as well, the girl in the box office who took my calllwas a little confused.
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
besotted with buttons

ok brill- rozzan-- will get on to it- thank you! the cafe sounds fine too- could you ask your husband if there are more than one ..cafe's i mean..

Old June 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements
Maybe we should all get those I *heart* Orlando pants that Fairy put on Paris and wave them around

This sounds totally cool, I did consider telling my brother as I know he would be interested, but as he would more than likely ruining my squeeing, I think I will keep it quiet and hope that he has army things booked that weekend I think as long as we choose a sensible place to meet, we shouldn't have too much of a problem finding people. I mean, how hard can it be to go to London and meet people you have never met before? There aren't that many people in London
No not difficult at all!! I agree about meeting up somewhere central...like the cafe at the BM. Makes sense! And yeah maybe a good idea to trade mobile numbers if possible, so we can check in if any of us get lost or delayed.

Ah Rozzan, excellent...so at least one of us is booked! Nuit will get in touch with you later re numbers on my side.

Angel
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Master Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzan
Also master Elf I will be catching a train from Bedford, Thats probably the Midland mainline one from Leicester. I know i would not necesarrily be able to find you on the train unless you rang me with your train time and tell me which carriage you are in but we could travel home together I suppose if we wanted to leave at the same time.
I will be going down from Leicester but I need to check what time the train is. Will get back to you on that. I think after the movie my sister and I will probably go for dinner in Wagamama, would you like to come with us? Everyone is welcome of course.

I'll book my ticket tomorrow. Hope it's not too late to book on phone like the LotR one.
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

Oh, I'm so jealous. I hope you guys do meet up and have a great time. Of course, we will be expecting a detailed report.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein
Oh, I'm so jealous. I hope you guys do meet up and have a great time. Of course, we will be expecting a detailed report.

Awww, Serein I wish everyone could go! A mass day out for the members of OL! Now wouldn't that be great? And we promise a full detailed report!

Ah Master Elf, don't go getting me worried now! They will have to still have lots of tickets so we can all get in! I'd be gutted if we tried to book tomorrow and found they were sold out! But now that won't happen!

Angel