Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Troy

Old May 12th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Enelya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andune
I've got the song...sending it to Elf Lady right now. It should be avaliable on the site soon.

Thank you! You're the best. Tried downloading from another site but it didn't work.

Enelya
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Andune

AOL was giving me a hard time trying to send the bloody thing, but I finally did it. Stupid AOL put this thing in the song "AOL First Listen" which I guess is to deter people like me from trying to copy the song, but other than that it sounds pretty good. It's on my computer playlist along with Jesse Cook.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM
keekercatt

OK, I do not like the Troy soundtrack. It does not tweak me emotionally.

I read here somewhere that the original score had been replaced. I just came across the original score for Troy.
Whoever decided to change the score was, to put it mildly, a complete idiot. The original score fits so much better with the mood of the film.

I listened to "Approach of the Greeks", "Paris and Helen" , "Achilles Drags Hector" and "End Credit Song". That was more than enough to tell me they made a huge mistake! In my humble opinion, that is...

What were they thinking ??? Check it out here: http://www.gabrielyared.com/flashsite/index2.htm, click on "news" then "The Score for Troy" lists under his picture. The arrow in the lower right corner leads to remarks about the rejection of the score (I'm off to read that now)

What say you?

I just read the comments from the composer. The tracks there aren't even finished! I guess it fits the "Greek tragedy" theme...
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Enelya

Well, from what I heard listening to the music during the movie, I wasn't overly impressed. I'm not sure what I expected, something more dramatic or emotional I guess. :)

Enelya
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Andune

I kind of liked it, but I was also kind of sidetracked so I wasn't paying all that much attention. Most of it fit pretty well, especially once Troy's being sacked and it's that kind of montage feeling, where you hear the music and not the fighting. Thought that was pretty cool.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:54 AM
jsclark86

Well, I just got back from seeing it again and I think I know why we were all drawn to the music, whether we liked it or not. It was too loud. I mean not the movie itself, but when the filmmakers put the music into the film, they had made it play too loud and thats why we noticed it so much. I especially noticed it when there were battle scenes going on because you're not supposed to really hear the music, you're just supposed to hear it in the background and focus on the battle. Also, when the girl (who ever she is) is singing and it's too loud, it does get a little annoying after a while.

So, whether we liked the music or not, in my opinion, it was played to loud and thats why we noticed it so much.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:44 PM
MissDreamyDiva

Some soundtracks didn't fit in, I really can't cry if there is no good music.
I loved the music with the woman voice.
But not Hectors Funeral :-&
Hmmm actually the music is not beautiful I hate it :-&
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Aroreiel

I didn't completely hate it. And sometimes, it did seem like it blended in well...but there we loads more instances where it was WAY too overpowering, sometimes hitting the big notes at the wrong times. The thing about a score is it should blend into the movie in such a way as to give the movie extra character...and as a viewer, you don't conciously notice it because it feels like a part of the film. Unfortunately, this didn't. It didn't fit. James Horner is a great composer, but the fact that he only had a matter of a month or so to compose music to a movie this epic in size, was a tall order. And it didn't work.

I'll go and listen to Gabriel Yared's version now. But I'd like to watch Troy with the original score too...to judge it properly.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Angel_of_the_West

I've just finished listening to the Original and I must say it is a much better score! Much more powerful and evocative than the score we hear in the movie! Achilles Drags Hector, now that is powerful stuff, more emotional and has the lulls and highs of a track depicting a tragic moment.

And then the End Credit Song...That is so beautiful, much better than what we hear Josh Groban singing. Don't get me wrong Josh has a great voice, but that song was more suited to an Andrew Lloyd Webster musical than an epic story like Troy. This original song, has such a feeling about it, I can so clearly picture Troy, the characters, the beach and the open plain before the walls of Troy! It's has an almost cultural feel about it, which IMHO is just perfect for the setting and story of Troy!

The Josh Groban song did not make me want to stay in the theatre as the credits were rolling, or make me want to cry cause it tugs at the heart as it reminds me of the movie and the sad moments. 'THIS' song does both that!

I have no idea what they were thinking when they replaced this with the score we here in the movie, but I for one wish they hadn't! This score I'd spend the money on, the other score...I'll probably do without.

Wow, I have the end credit song playing now as I write this, and it just too beautiful!

Angel
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Aroreiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_of_the_West
I have no idea what they were thinking when they replaced this with the score we here in the movie, but I for one wish they hadn't! This score I'd spend the money on, the other score...I'll probably do without.
I'm listening to it all now. I have to admit, a lot of this is better and lighter than the final score. Quite beautiful. I think maybe I know why they [Warner Bros.] abandoned it...it wasn't Hollywood enough. Not a big, buzzing, loud soundtrack to a grand, epic movie that was wanted. The feeling of Gabriel Yared's score seems more European, more right for the time of the story, with a modern lilt to it.

Still, I'd like to see the movie with this score attached to it, just to hear whether or not it does blend in. But it seems a lot more involved to the film, as I'm listening to it.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:34 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

I think my problem with the James Horner replacement was that the score was too weak. I liked some of it and I liked the girl singing. I have to say, I do NOT like the original "Hectors Funeral". Too strong.

Anyway, the original soundtrack has more character. It seems to define the movie better. Maybe I'm just to spoiled by Howard Shore but Horner's music seemed so incongruous at times. EL said to me that there were parts that sounded too modern and I think she nailed it. Yared's score has a more ancient feel to it. I really like the original end credit song. I admit, I'm not a huge fan of Josh Groban.

I don't hate Horners' score but I don't think it helped the movie one whit. It didn't emphasize in the right places and it was fairly forgettable. I wished I could have seen the movie with the original soundtrack.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Aroreiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein
I think my problem with the James Horner replacement was that the score was too weak. I liked some of it and I liked the girl singing. I have to say, I do NOT like the original "Hectors Funeral". Too strong.
I totally agree on that one, Serein. The original "Hector's Funeral" was too heavy for such a heartbreaking scene. I didn't like James Horner's version, but this one doesn't fit well either.

The girl's singing was alright...for first couple of times I heard her. Then her voice got annoying. Maybe that was just me, but it drove me a little mad. It was too overused.
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM
On a Yellow Slide

I thought the score was uninspiring, but what do you expect when a composer has to whip it up in about a month? I really enjoy movie soundtracks, and during the film I was not at all excited about this music. I think they just should have tweaked the old score and kept it. Serein and EL have a good point, it did sound more "ancient" than the new score, much more fitting for an epic like Troy. But that's just my humble opinion.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Kikyo

I'm listening too the original soundtrack and I think is way much better than the one they use for the movie.... i think it would have fit better... but i like Josh Groban song, is a very beautiful song...
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:32 AM
In Valinor

Another problem I had with the Horner score was that at any moment, I thought the Starship Enterprise was pulling into space dock or that a Romulan Bird of Prey was going to suddenly appear. Echoes of "ST: The Wrath of Kahn" anyone?

However, Horner did what he could given the time constraints he was working under. I just wish the suits at Warner Bros had allowed Yared to rework/tweak the score and re-write "Hector's Funeral". I liked the vocalizations but then again, I'm a sucker for stuff like that. I adored the "Gladiator" score and Lisa Gerrards' singing.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:20 PM
estella_84

hey you,

I use to listen to the original score via the web? how do u? is the original score available in stores? in Germany it will never be published.
I love the End Credit Song, I could listen to it a thousand times one after an other. but I have to say that the other ones are not that great. I am going to see Troy today the first time and I am looking forward to listen to the James Horner score. I like his compositions, but the are all very similiar to each other and I am convinced that it will not fit well or better.
His music is already used up. They should not have changed the score.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Heather_Lea

Why judge music when it poors from a heart to many? I thought the music fit perfectly with the scene and being 3200 years ago how would you think music sounded then?
I've opened my heart and soul to many composers, and listening to the music is not only apart of the movie, it's what was created from a person with a heart and soul, someone had truely put there heart and soul into this, the lyrics, the voice, listen to the sorrow of the voice when Hector is killed by Archillies, or the beat of the drum that fills your chest with anger when Paris is out for Archillies.
I've learned to accept all music in some way or another, if the lyrics arn't understanable then the way the voice dances in the air is another way.
There is always away to accept music, without that what would happen to this world?
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:10 PM
estella_84

I just got the score. oh, I use to replay the last song ever and ever again. I could not leave the theatre because of this title. he has a great voice, I liked it that he is an unknown artist. I hope this song will be nominated for the academy award. the voice is so clear and strong and with thse female voice in the back gound. * faint *
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Legessa

I LOVE this song. I can't seem to get enough of it. =D>
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Dead in a Dead Mans Chest

I've heard the samples (if you interest PM me), and I faaaall in love with Gabriel Yared score. It's such a powerfull and emotional music. And the End Credit Song singing by Tanja, is OOOH GOD soo powerfull and heartbreaking! Perfect for the movie in my opinion.. and I don't understand the choice for Warner's productors.