Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > At World's End

Old May 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM
alienmoon76

POTC: On Stranger Tides

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=1&cset=true

Quote:
4th 'Pirates' film already on horizon
Like fellow blockbusters 'Spider-Man' and 'Shrek,' the salty series has entered the era of the unlimited sequel.
By Josh Friedman, Times Staff Writer
May 29, 2007

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" hardly marks an end.

With the latest in Walt Disney Co.'s lucrative series reaping an unprecedented $401 million globally in its debut through the Memorial Day weekend, the question of whether there will be a fourth installment has effectively been answered.

Sure, producer Jerry Bruckheimer is coy, saying he and his mates need a break. But he already has rights to a book that could end up as another installment.

Star Johnny Depp? He hasn't promised another voyage, but he clearly loves the flamboyant, irreverent Jack Sparrow character, telling one interviewer: "As long as you're doing it for the right reasons, why not?"

In today's Hollywood, blockbuster franchises function almost as independent corporations that, once up and running, can't easily be mothballed. Which is why another "Pirates" is pretty much a given.

"When these franchises become part of the world's culture, they take on a life of their own," said **** Cook, Disney's studio chairman, who says he's on board for another "Pirates" if the script is right and the filmmakers are willing.

Enter the era of the unlimited sequel. DreamWorks Animation SKG began developing a fourth "Shrek" film more than a year ago — long before "Shrek the Third" was even finished, said Anne Globe, the Glendale studio's head of marketing. The next installment is slated for 2010.

A fourth installment of "Spider-Man" — the third one just debuted May 4 — has been in the works for more than a month, with the studio circling screenwriters it may tap.

"If you want the kind of longevity we're hoping for with 'Spider-Man,' you have to think of them as stand-alone movies, not '1-2-3-4,' " said Amy Pascal, Sony Pictures' studio chairman. "They're sort of like the James Bond stories."

One reason the big franchise machines keep operating is the special effects-laden movies have become ever bigger and more costly — making and marketing May's three megasequels cost more than $1 billion altogether — and they require elaborate planning. Studios also need long lead times to line up marketing alliances.

Disney worked with 13 promotional partners to help spread the word on "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," including Volvo, Verizon, Coca-Cola, Circuit City, Best Buy, Toys R Us and Starwood Hotels. Even the obscure, Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration — which recently made headlines when it reported recovering 17 tons of treasure from a shipwreck in the Atlantic — signed on.

Nonetheless, the sheer size of the summer blockbusters can drain filmmakers. Bruckheimer said there would at least be a respite after the production of back-to-back sequels to the 2003 original "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."

"We've been working on this trilogy for 5½ years, and the latest one was just a monster," he said in an interview from Tokyo for last week's premiere. "It's always about making sure you have a great story with interesting plots, themes and characters. There is a possibility — we'll see what happens."

Though Bruckheimer and Disney executives say the "Pirates" trilogy has concluded, they hint that the series could continue through a spinoff or prequel. In an interview with an Australian film website, screenwriter Terry Rossio said he and partner Ted Elliott would take a crack at another "Pirates" script and see if they could make it work.

Big franchises also take on a life of their own by reaching beyond the multiplex into TV, stage and theme parks. DreamWorks Animation is wrapping up a network special, "Shrek the Halls," for this holiday season, and the big green ogre is headed for the Broadway stage in a 2008 musical.

The franchise sequels can pay off not just for studios but for the entire industry. For the first time, Hollywood could be en route to more than $4 billion in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales for its extended summer season, thanks largely to momentum from this month's trio of high-profile "three-quels."

"Spider-Man 3" reset the opening weekend standard with its $151-million domestic launch early this month, while "Pirates" this past weekend broke the domestic holiday record with $142 million, according to the research firm Media by Numbers. "Shrek the Third" set a new mark this month for animated films by debuting at $122 million.

On a worldwide basis, Disney says its "Pirates" overtook "Spider-Man 3's" $382-million six-day haul — a 3-week-old record. Privately, Sony executives questioned Disney's decision to include Monday's overseas grosses, as well as Thursday night's "pre-opening" sales in the U.S., in the total.

In generating the huge box-office numbers this month, studios overcame concerns about the kind of sequel fatigue that in the past plagued such franchises as "Batman" and "Superman" before they were revived.

Using pricey marketing campaigns, Hollywood sought to convince prospective moviegoers that the latest versions of "Spider-Man," "Shrek" and "Pirates" weren't just retreads. Reviews were mixed, but fans still went in droves to see all three.

In Southern California, moviegoers interviewed were divided on the prospect of a fourth "Pirates" after watching the latest chapter, which clocked in at nearly three hours.

Elizabeth Lopez, 24, of Long Beach, suspected the latest "Pirates" might disappoint as the third film in the series.

"But it actually was very good," she said. "Yes, I'm hoping they make another one because of the way it ended."

But Richard Kirk, 69, of Bellflower, has seen enough.

"It just gets rather complicated, especially the first part of it," he said. "I really think they should leave it at three."
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Passionately Enthralled

A fourth ??? The dust hasn't even settled on the third yet !!!

But by the way the third ended, there was a hint of a story-line for the next one - POTC and the Fountain of Youth !!! O...M...G... !!!
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Etoiline

I wasn't sure about seeing a fourth movie before I saw AWE...but now I'd definitely like one Anything for more Will!

~Cal
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Blue Dreams

Location: In my own little world but its ok they know me here.
They have a very nice arrangement for themselves. They can make a 4th or they can not make a forth. I'm sure what i think they should do honestly. I'd love to see all the main characters wind up immortal. Wouldn't that be somthing. lol
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM
In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoiline View Post
I wasn't sure about seeing a fourth movie before I saw AWE...but now I'd definitely like one Anything for more Will!

~Cal

Then you may be watching Jude Law or Ryan Gosling or some such. Orlando has said he doesn't want to return to the role of Will Turner ...
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:01 PM
HiLaRbEaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica rich View Post
Then you may be watching Jude Law or Ryan Gosling or some such. Orlando has said he doesn't want to return to the role of Will Turner ...
It was my impression from recent interviews that he may do another "Pirates" movie, just not right now, as he's looking forward to taking some time off and doing other things.

Who knows what can happen a few years from now? If they're smart, they will wait to get fan reviews of AWE before heading into #4. Like the article said, I think that half the fans are all for a #4, and the other half are done.

I personally would love to see a #4; but I'm also worried that too many people will be burned out on the entire Pirate franchise.

That's just my two cents.
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Though I have always said I wouldn't like a fourth instalment, now the third on is released I am quite aware of how much I am going to miss to go to the theater and watch my pirates, specially Will Turner... I would like much more of him on screen, for a change! he's really good as an actor, and though Jack is great, Will has a lot of things to offer in his role and I have always get the impression that he is put aside in a way... don't know if you agree! thanks for all, ladies! Hug:
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Fanfic Junkie

From other things I've read, and the fact that Orlando and Keira aren't mentioned here, I have a feeling a 4th film will be all Jack and his crew and probably won't involve Will/Liz, especially since we now know that

Spoiler

So I can't see it being very easy to figure her into a 4th adventure. Unless that is also 10 years later I guess we can hope though

sig & avatar by the lovely and talented elements

Dean: Come on man, I've been itching for a hunt
Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

Although I would love to see Orlando back in pirate garb, I don't really see it happening. Will's and Elizabeth's story has been told and their part in this is over. The next installment, if there is one, will be all Jack and although I DO like him, I don't know if I could tolerate him without Will.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Malene

PoTC without Will? Not interested.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
princessoftroy

I thought the way it ended hinted at a fourth one too. I support Orli in whatever he wants to do. I love Captain Jack but it wouldn't be the same without Will.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Artanis

When I watch my pirates, I expect to see the entire ensemble cast. I want my Will, my Elizabeth, my Jack, and my Barbossa. Without either one, it feels a bit bereft and lonely. They work fantastically as an ensemble and splitting them up isn't a good idea. That's why the second POTC wasn't as great for me, though I still loved it. With the absence of Barbossa, it felt like there wasn't really much there to off balance Jack. And without Will and Elizabeth in the fourth, if there is a fourth, it wouldn't off set the moral and immoral characters. It's just be Barbossa and Jack. And you know that they'd go ahead and do everything under the sun if they could. So, I'd like to see all my characters back.

And right now, I don't want another POTC. I like it at three, please.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Oh no, please don't! As much as I love Orlando in this role, the story is told and done - anything more would be a bit far-fetched. And I'm not sure if the thing will work with Captain Jack only without his antagonists.

And I'm soo sick of all those sequels and prequels and what not - only to make more money
In this case they were fortunate to produce a good third part, but look at the utter crap that is Spiderman 3 - they could have this fate easily with more Pirates.
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:29 PM
manwathiel

as much as i love the 3rd movie. they need to leave it. everyone likes it and they ending works they way it is...especially with the scene after the credits....a 4th would over due it and it wouldn't be as good....and i don't think kira and orlando want to do anymore anyways....they can't do another one without all 3 people!
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
SherinaSue

My first thought when I saw this thread title? Ugh, NO! It's perfect, leave it! I think they almost have to put a little tag on there to let you know Barbossa and Jack are still out there doing their piracy thing, but I don't want to see it. Leave 'em wanting more, right?
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:51 PM
White Masque

I absolutely adore Orlando, Johnny, and the crew, but AWE isn't liked too much by audiences (younger people being the exception). They could do another, but I'd be under the impression it was all done for the big bucks it would earn, not for the actual storyline. I love the characters, but a fourth in my opinion would be a step too far.
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
____amanda

I don't know if I'd like to see POTC continue without Orlando, Keira, Johnny, and, of course, the great director that it had. Although, it would be nice if they'd film a little of the movie in Florida () as I only live a short distance from St. Augustine and I'd be willing to help out in the lovely town if need be.
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM
smallville78

id love to see a 4th especially with jake going to look for the fountain of youth and im sure they can do something with will and elizabeth, if orlando wasnt in it, i wouldnt like it as much, i would watch it though
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
mina09

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica rich View Post
i know, but if johnny depp askes him or someone he admires i'm sure he'd do it but i honestly think they should leave it alone with 3 movies
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:34 AM
wallace

I have mixed feelings about another film on POTC. In some ways, I would like to see Orlando and Keira's characters in their married life, and see him interact with his son. But, then what adventure would they conjure up to make it as good as the others. The two writers did such a great job that I am sure they would come up with another.

If they can put a Shrek or Spiderman 4 in the works, and they are doing another Indiana Jones 4 - why not POTC4? But, if Orlando or the other key actors were not all on board, it wouldnt be as good.
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:05 AM
mandy

Nothing compares to the first Pirates installment for me, but every one after that was good as well and I wouldn't mind seeing a fourth. I have faith in the writers. They've done a great job so far and I'd be interested to see what they could come up with.Johnny Depp is enough to get me in to see a fourth, but of course I would love to see Orlando back too.

Last edited by mandy; June 12th, 2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Kate_Sienna_Inwλ

I'd be glad with a fourth film, but ONLY with all the original actors and actrices in it. Jerry made it very clear that without Keira he wouldn't do it, and I hope they'll stick to that. Don't get me wrong, I love to have a Pirates of the Caribbean: The Fountain of Youth sorta thing, but not if they have to break this magical trio of Jack, Will and Liz
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Malene

The script writers have stressed that the PoTC story is Elizabeth's story.It starts and ends with her.

I think the end in AWE is left open for more for all the main characters,meaning Jack,Will,Elizabeth and Barbossa.AWE will gross a billion US dollars in the box office.I think it would be very tempting for Disney and Bruckheimer to try to make more films.This franchise is a gigantic moneymachine.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
mcamp81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene View Post
The script writers have stressed that the PoTC story is Elizabeth's story.It starts and ends with her.

I think the end in AWE is left open for more for all the main characters,meaning Jack,Will,Elizabeth and Barbossa.AWE will gross a billion US dollars in the box office.I think it would be very tempting for Disney and Bruckheimer to try to make more films.This franchise is a gigantic moneymachine.

It's funny..I always kind of felt it was more Will's story than Elizabeth's story. I mean I get her story too..but Will kind of had a bigger character arch.

But anyway. NO MORE PIRATES!!! If they really want to carry it on...make a cartoon spin off on Saturday mornings lol. I can't take any more pirates films. I don't want it to ever lose it's charm and that's what would happen.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Shadow

I love POTC all three films very much. But I don't think that Orlando will be in the fourth film. He said he won't do another sword film.

But a POTC movie without him? I can't imagine this movie without Orli.

I hope when they really start another pirate movie, that Orlando is in the movie again!!