Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Pirates of the Caribbean > At World's End

Old May 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Artanis

I had the same problem, Istariel. I hadn't had my coffee yet.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:10 AM
princessoftroy

There are both good and bad critics. Some don't even bother going to the theater. They just base their judgement on the trailers. The final review belongs to the fans who go to see the movie. Orli is a great actor who knows his craft!!
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM
DMW3

As Babyjane posted from an article:

Quote:
Why? Because they're attacking it like it's up for Best Picture at the Oscars and they need to defend why it doesn't deserve the honor, not sitting down, grabbing a bag of popcorn, and enjoying a long and fun flick with a few minor flaws.
Kinda hits the nail on the head.

BBC Radio 4 has a film and arts programme that reviewed World's End, a the reviewer basically said the same as the above. He pointed out that the success behind the Pirates films was because they were something rare, genuine good old fashioned fun cinema, that neither tried to be too clever for it's own good, nor patronized it's audience. As this critic pointed out Pirates has no pretensions and apart from the craft catergories ( set design special effects etc etc) it wasn't and neither did it want to be an Oscar nominated movie.

I was quite shocked Radio 4 arts reviews are well, rather highbrow, they tend to go for, and review art house and stuff with subtitles, you get the idea. This was a review from a programme just as likely to review something at the National Theatre or spend 15 minutes discussing the musical direction the Covent Garden Opera house was taking under new managment or whatever ....

I do think that critics are venting frustration on a movie whose box office they have no power over However, as I have said in the past a lot of internet reviewers are fanbois of the lowest order, or local journalists who are just as likely to be reviewing the Mayors Annual Dinner as they are the latest blockbuster.

As i have said on these boards before; Pirates has a massive international audience, unlike comic book franchises, like Spiderman, which although successful internationally, don't have the same cultural hold as they do in the USA. Put it this way, apart from the big comic book guns, ( Spiderman, Superman, Batman), the publicity for most comic book movies in the UK have to tell us Brits that superhero whatever, is a comic book hero and give us the background, or we wouldn't, a few geeks aside, have a clue!

The last two Pirates films had massive 'legs' to use the box office term, due to reports of loud popmunching brats populating the cinema in the first few weeks of the Pirates films, I will not be going to see World's End until a few weeks time, when the audience, like the last two times will consist of the 25 plus age group enjoying the film in peace. Like my sister-in-law pointed out going to a 10pm showing of DMC last year, ' I couldn't believe how many over tired, glucose high 8 year olds there were in the cinema'..... I can wait thx ...
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Malene

I agree Diane,that the critics are venting frustration on a movie whose box office they have no power over.I don't think they liked what happened with DMC after many of them trashed that.

BUT,the reviews are mixed,certainly not all bad
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
paulac2cute

Questions that could be spoilers for you
Spoiler

anywayz im not gonna write all the questions i have but there all about will ,grrr i just dont get his story

Last edited by nazgul88; May 28th, 2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM
On a Yellow Slide

paulac2cute, I think those are questions best suited for the fan review/movie discussion thread. Perhaps you need another viewing to take in the details more?

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:07 PM
dazzled

nice review from : http://www.flickfilosopher.com
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:18 PM
White Masque

paulac2cute, I'm up for explaining some of those answers to you if you want, but perhaps we should switch threads or PM, like Llyneth said. It doesn't hurt to see the movie again though if you just want to do that. *imagines seeing Will again*
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Wow, that review is awesome ! Here's a critic who really dug the story and found the mythology surrounding Davy Jones' heart and Will's destiny to be the glue that held the whole movie together.

Thanks for finding this, mientje !!!
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Crazy in Love

Here's a good one from 411mania.com

Quote:
The ship that is the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has always been forced to paddle against the current. Now that the third installment, of what was envisioned as a trilogy, is finished, the results are positive. Critics are still sinking their fangs into its body, and gnawing away, but the mixed reception is not a shock. Unless sequels are deepened on a level that is satisfactory, and the sense of fun is diminished considerably, many of them just dismiss it as forgettable summer fare. Pirates of the Caribbean is not a trilogy comparable to Lord of the Rings, but keep in mind, this is based on a theme park ride, not the written works of J.R.R. Tolkien. At World's End is a glorious and invigorating conclusion for this saga.

I still maintain that Pirates of the Caribbean is the Indiana Jones for this generation. It is pure escapist delight that fulfills the masses on virtually every level. The crew at hand wanted to raise the stakes without overstuffing their boundaries, or overly convoluting the story. They succeeded, and have completed as solid a series as one should hope for. All the questions have been answered, and all the necessary sub-plots ran their course. The Pirates tale is parallel to the Back to the Future trilogy. Obviously the first film is the best, but parts two and three are just as fabulous, and have noticeable entertaining qualities that are unquestionably memorable.

At the end of Dead Man's Chest, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) was killed by the Kraken. Now, Will (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth (Keira Knightley), Tia Dalma (Naomi Harris), and Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) must travel to the land of the dead to rescue Jack, and assemble the pirate lords from every corner of the planet. Since Jack did not appoint a successor before he died, his presence is imperative at this congregation. Due to the fact that Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) holds the heart of Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), he forces him into an reluctant alliance. The two control the seas with the Flying Dutchman, and seek a way to eliminate all pirates from existence. Despite uncertainty of who stands on what side of the playing field, the pirates prepare for one final epic encounter against the East India Trading Company.

The opening minutes are wonderfully eerie. As Beckett sends all pirates, anyone ever affiliated with them, or anybody having ever associated with them to be hanged until death, one young boy approaches the platform singing a song. It is this tune which prompts the Brethren Pirate Court to gather at once. Following this scene, a coin drops while the title appears on screen. The audience at the showing I attended was at a hush silence. At that moment, I had a feeling At World's End would be a bit different.

The most evident alteration is the action. Regardless of a small skirmish that commenced the festivities, and the exhilarating finale, the bulk centers on the characters, giving each of them a chance to shine. It seems many reviewers are throwing temper tantrums due to the increase of dialogue and concentration on a storyline. The removal of countless stunt work and sword fighting was risky, but essential. It gives Dead Man's Chest an identity of its own. The rumors of a fourth adventure are still anyone's guess, so At World's End had the task of not only adequately amplifying the excitement, but also crafting absorbing new plot threads, and closing the series in a way that moviegoers would be contented. At nearly three hours in length, all is accomplished fairly well. Make no mistake, this is not a masterpiece, but it does meet expectations.

The general theme for this phase is betrayal. Each person has their own agenda, and no one really knows for sure, who is loyal, who is lying to suit their needs, and where their allegiances lie. I could attempt to clarify and untangle what transpires, but on paper, it would not just be too long, but rather confusing. Will wants to save his father, Beckett is balancing deals to wipe out the pirates, Barbossa wants to free the Goddess Calypso, Norrington is stuck obeying orders, and Jack wants the Pearl. Meanwhile Elizabeth tags along for the trip. That was a brief summary of what's on everyone's mind, but you get the idea.

The first time viewers see Johnny Depp in his iconic role, he is aboard the Black Pearl on a white, barren piece of land in Davy Jones' locker. Suffering from hallucinations, Jack leads a crew of numerous other Jack Sparrows, only the ship isn’t sailing anywhere. I was reminded of that scene in Being John Malkovich. Coming back from the dead has substantial side effects, and these delusions would remain with Jack throughout the escapade. It was strange, but funny. Depp is still in prime form as Captain Jack Sparrow. His lines are terrific, and his eccentric mannerisms continue to hold the structure in place. It is not about the performance anymore. The chief concern is whether or not the fascination with Jack persists. Fortunately, his power has not been damaged, or watered down.

Will Turner marks the most interesting and pleasing journey over the three films. He is not the flamboyant and romantic swordsman anymore. At World's End reveals a darker, more organized individual. He still wants to marry Elizabeth, but he has other priorities, and does not rely on her approval. Orlando Bloom is more enjoyable, more tolerable, and more convincing this time around that he ever has been. Bloom has grown and matured as an actor, much like Will Turner has in the story. I found that I was actually mesmerized by his involvement.

This is almost Keira Knightley's show. The significance of her character has intensified dramatically. Knightley's portrayal of Elizabeth Swann has gradually turned into one of the more captivating female heroine's in recent years. It was somewhat startling that Elizabeth became a Captain. The romance between Elizabeth and Will is on shaky ground, but it was dealt with sufficiently after the events of Dead Man's Chest. She is still sexy and forceful, but it is easier to care about Elizabeth and the obstacles that bounce her way.

Geoffrey Rush is fantastic as Barbossa. The amounts of humor he and his irraplacable monkey lend to the proceedings are stupendous. As the veteran leader and former Pearl Captain, his knowledge of procedure and pirate law is progressively engrossing. It is the stride, the accent, and the facial expressions that are so superb about Rush's contribution. Bill Nighy is not just a tentacle-faced villain. He is a three-dimensional creature that was cursed, and an poignant and sensitive side to his personality is exposed. I loved the shot of his normal human features.

For the small part he was given, Jack Davenport does wonders with Norrington. By not ignoring these minor, yet crucial characters, and also improving them in certain areas, the potency of At World's End is made abundantly clear. Norrington is refreshingly compelling. Lord Cutler Beckett is one area that was overlooked however. He is depicted as a mere paper-thin foe for the pirates. Bill Nighy enabled us to be sympathetic towards Davy Jones, but Tom Hollander has no room to breathe with Beckett. The addition of Chow Yun-Fat as Captain Sao Feng from Singapore was neat, but too succinct. His presence at the Brethren Court meeting would have been a bonus.

At World’s End can be easily recommended due to so many devastatingly beautiful scenes. Director Gore Verbinski and company have crafted a masterful combination of live-action and CGI. If they do not receive the Oscar next year, a crime will have been committed. When Captain Jack is retrieved from Davy Jones’ locker, the crew needs to figure out how to get back to the land of the living. They pass through a creepy, but cool, body of water with endless amounts of dead bodies. Shortly thereafter, a dazzling sequence occurs in which they tip over the boat completely rendering a spectacular side view. This was simply genius. Another instance has the Pearl sailing at night in a breathtaking moment where the stars in the sky fill the sea. Ship Wreck’s Cove was also a special effects sensation where a virtuoso shot of the island is revealed with ships stacked on top of one another. The funniest scene has Jack, Barbossa, and the rest of the gang pointing their guns at each other. They pull their triggers and hear only clicking since the powder was wet.

Gore Verbinski has worked his magic in magnificent fashion, and outdone himself in more ways that you can imagine. Take for example a scene that Sergio Leone would be proud of where Jack, Barbossa, and Elizabeth meet their enemies on a small patch of sand in the middle of the ocean. This was perhaps unnecessary, but it was effective and just plain awesome nonetheless. Similar to Dead Man’s Chest, the pacing is a bit off, but that is a trivial complaint. The further expansion of the Calypso character was stimulating, and I was anxiously awaiting her arrival, but it is disappointing to say the least. The appearance of a giant was quite goofy, and thankfully it was short. No doubt this will be the primary flaw for most people. After so many years of grueling hours, day in and day out, Mr. Verbinski and his stellar team all deserve a break, and should give themselves a hearty pat on the back as the millions are raked in.

The score provided by Hans Zimmer is exceptional and stirring. His music swells at each key scene, and queues us to feel a specific emotion. It satiates the background, and creates a mind-blowing outcome at the end when those two ships are furiously circling each other in battle. Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio had the daunting mission of carrying out a screenplay that would make everyone happy. While a bit overwhelming at times, the one-liners and twists were extraordinary. The list of names in the effects departments is literally a mile long, and if I could, I would type every single name. That is how good the CGI is.

When the lights went out, and I sat through what felt like 20 trailers, and eventually became hypnotized by the film, I had forgotten about what I was really anticipating. It was Keith Richards, and his extremely hyped entrance as Captain Teague, the father of Captain Jack Sparrow. I had read an interview in Rolling Stone magazine with Johnny Depp and Keith Richards, who discussed his participation, among other things. I was amazed that it had slipped my mind 5 minutes into the beginning. The theater erupted, and I can safely say he was a treat to watch. With four years worth of swashbuckling analogies under my belt, I am ready to move on, hang up the costume, retire my sword, and stash away the old eye patch. This is a victorious achievement, and an honorable way to dock the ship, and award these pirates an extended vacation.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Malene

Thanks very much for posting positive reviews!!
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Alive...and kicking

At last!! Somebody who knows what´s talking about!! thanks a lot Amby.

Old May 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM
princessoftroy

Thanks for the good reviews Amby!!