Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > The Calcium Kid

Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:23 PM
AryanaOrion

It didn't work for me either, Jo :) I don't want to know, but yet I'm in here lol.

Ele, you're a lucky gal :)
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Malene

Thankyou Ele!
Now I'm even more excited about this film,almost disturbingly!

Now you've seen it and you really like it.
I'm just curious,why do you think,doesn't the reviewer at Empire Online like it?
She says the characters are cliche.But IMO that can often be just right for certain films.
Obviously you can't read her mind,but just curious to why you can find it great and she can not.
Reviewers often tend to get cynical and technical when they watch films, I think.Maybe that's part of the reason with this reviewer too.

And how coloured do you think your opinion of it is by the fact that this is an Orlando movie?

Thanks again!! :)
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Elements

Good questions Malene.

I have a feeling that the reviewer probably went into the film not wanting to like it. You get a press pack when you go in and it is possible that she read through that and formed an opinion on it without even giving the film a chance. I mean, we do that right? We read a review and decide not to go and see said film. Well she had to see it, so that could have clouded the judgement.

It's also possible that she is simply not a fan of this type of film. I mean, different horses for different courses. It's a mockumentory about boxing, and some people just aren't going to like that. I'm a little young, but I am sure that there were plenty of reviewers that didn't like 'This is Spinal Tap' when that came out, and yet it is now a cult classic. I'm not saying that CK will necessarily be a cult classic, but it is a good little comedy.

We were in a room filled with journo's and there was lots of laughing at several points in the film. I honestly don't think there were many in there that didn't like it like she obviously did.

As for how coloured I was by it being Orlando, well, that's the million dollar question isn't it. The only way that I could truly answer that would be to come back one day if/when I have got over my crush and tell you then. But I must say I try and be as open minded as possibly when I watch any film. I am one of these people who does not think that POTC was Orlando's film etc. What I will say is that Orlando was brilliant in it, but if there was another actor who could put in a performance like that, and right now I am having a hard time thinking that any could, then I am sure that I would have liked it just as much.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Malene

Thanks for your answers. :)
The thing is that reviewers quite often go to see movies they don't think they are going to like. And their reviewes are coloured by it.
An example is a woman over here who reviewed POTC and she said there was too much swordfighting!
There can not be too much swashbuckling in a pirate movie!!! Totally wrong genre for this woman..
But she gave it a decent review because of the usual "Johnny Depp is so great blablabla.."raving.

I think my view of any movie Orlando is in will be totally clouded by my fangirl status..
Like with PoTC. I could completely see that JD owns it. But I could not and cannot even today after seing it x amounts of times tear my eyes away from Orlando whenever he is onscreen.
When someone is talking to Will and we only see the back of his head,I still stare at the back of his head!!! Even when it's Jack doing his thing, right in front of me... I can't help it.
I'm such a hopeless case..
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Bewitched

Awww ... thanks so much, Ele! I had a feeling this might be a really cute and funny film and your description is priceless! Looks as though it might be just that. Thanks for the spoilers - they never really spoil anything for me - just make me want to see it more. I guess I shall have to hope that this one goes the way Bend it Like Beckham did and it might actually make its way across the Pond. I'll be very eager to see it whenever it's possible.

Nin
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:47 AM
luv4ever

so that girl and jimmy r married? that is so sweet!
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Sazi

The movie sounds very nice, I would really love to see it, but I don't think it will be showing in the Netherlands. And even if it did, I would never find someone to come with me, because it's not the type of movie my friends like and nobody I know will want to go with me just for Orlando. And I'm not one to go to the movies alone. Soooo... I will have to wait until it's released on DVD I guess... whenever that may be.
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:26 AM
OrlandosRiverRat

Many thanks to Ele for this report, completely with fan moments (love those ), and for the spoilers. Since I know we here in the US aren't going to get to see this one for a loooooooooooong while, I appreciate knowing what happens in the film, and more specifically, how it is going to help/hurt Orlando's career. It sounds like he gives a great performance. What surprises me is how much depth there seems to be, not only to the movie, but to the Jimmy character. I know I read quite a few things in your report I wasn't expecting, which only make me wanna see the film even MORE but I'm SOL on that front, darn it.

Again, Ele, muchas gracias for sharing with us
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Catz

Ele,

don't know what rock i've been under, but thanks for the great info.
You lucky thing - can't wait to see this film.
thanks for sharing.

xxx
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:39 PM
OrlandosRiverRat

From The Sunday Herald:
Quote:
The Calcium Kid
Orlando Bloom seems to be conducting his career in reverse. Having become an overnight sensation overseas, first in New Zealand (Lord Of The Rings) and then Hollywood (Pirates), Bloom finally makes a low-budget, homegrown film – and may wish he’d stayed away.

He plays Jimmy Connelly, a south London milkman whose years spent drinking his own product have created bones so tough that, via a freakish accident, he is plucked from obscurity to contend for a boxing world title. While embracing the challenge, Jimmy’s naive spell under the celebrity spotlight alienates him from the community he loves.

There’s nothing wrong with attempting a comic version of Rocky; and Bloom plays innocence and startling stupidity very well indeed (he would make an excellent Candide). *** CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS? ***

The problem is wholly with the execution: this is yet another British film in thrall to the Lock Stock school of cheeky chappies, C-list cameos (Chris Eubank and Frank Bruno), grating, laddish “humour” and whiplash, look-at-me editing. Thoroughly anaemic, The Calcium Kid is in need of milk, vitamin C and all manner of other nourishments.

All films are released on Friday

25 April 2004
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:20 PM
In Valinor

Candide is a character in Voltaire's story "Candide" which is a satire about 18th century religious fanaticism and differences in the classes. Candide is young, innocent, but by the end of many trials becomes sadly disillusioned. I can totally imagine the expressions Orlando would bring to this character.

Anyway, thanks for posting that review, Sonia!
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Elements

Candide is a book by Voltaire, the main character is a charmingly positive man who manages to remain optomistic through incredible bad fortune and adversity - everything goes wrong as he tries to get his love back. I haven't actually read it, but from what I know I can understand what they are saying. Jimmy is a kind of watered down Candide, and I can see Orlando in that role, the lovable optomist fighting his way through everything that is thrown at him to be with the one he loves.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM
In Valinor

Screen Daily Calcium Kid Review

Quote:
The Calcium Kid
Allan Hunter in Edinburgh 27 April 2004

Dir: Alex De Rakoff. UK-US-Fr. 2004. 89mins.
Orlando Bloom’s post-Lord Of The Rings appeal will be sorely tested by The Calcium Kid, a title fight mockumentary that packs a puny punch. A world removed from the genre-defining classics of Christopher Guest and his troupe, this uninspired effort has more in common with parochial British fare like Mike Bassett England Manager.

Box-office may struggle when the film starts its UK theatrical release on April 30. The adult certificate (15) could deter the Bloom fans most likely to constitute its core audience and word of mouth is unlikely to sustain initial interest once they discover the nature of the film. Globally, its unlikely to make an impression.

A chirrupy, South London milkman, Bloom’s Jimmy Connelly is accidentally responsible for putting Britain’s middleweight hopeful out of action one week before a match with world boxing champion Jose Mendez (Pena). Sleazy, second rate promoter Herbie Bush (Djalili) is so desperate to find a replacement that he chooses Jimmy. Documentary film-maker Sebastian Gore Brown (Mark Heap) senses the opportunity of a lifetime and trains his camera on Jimmy and his cronies in the seven days leading up to the bout.

What follows is a broad brushstrokes mockumentary filled with hand-me-down characters and predictable situations, including the inevitable training run through the neighbourhood streets to the strains of the Rocky theme. The sketchy screenplay lurches between different plot elements without developing a strong sense of purpose or momentum. The audience is asked to take a good deal for granted as Jimmy suddenly develops some backbone or a marginal romantic interest somehow blossoms into marriage.

The film lacks the memorable set pieces or belly laughs for a crowd-pleasing comedy and the whole set up is so wildly improbable that its impossible to take it seriously. A subplot covering Jimmy’s relationship with his jailbird father fails to deepen our emotional attachment to the character or his fate.

Even with a relatively brisk running time, the film drags and grows tiresome as we are subject to the underhand dealings of fight promoter Bush, the unconventional methods of Jimmy’s drunken Irish trainer or his prostitute mother’s insistence that she is merely a massage therapist. At least we are spared a triumphant showdown in the ring for the film’s climax.

Director Alex De Rakoff indulges all the faux documentary staples of wobbly, handheld camerawork, direct-to-camera asides and fly-on-the-wall embarrassment but what once seemed fresh and funny now appears stale and obvious.

Joke cameos from boxers Frank Bruno and Chris Eubank and the presence of local names like Ronni Ancona and Billie Piper might add some extra appeal for British audiences but internationally Bloom remains the main attraction. His eager but unremarkable performance is likely to be judged a minor, homegrown diversion between major blockbuster roles.

Prod cos: WT2, StudioCanal, Universal
UK dist: UIP
W’wide dist: UIP/Universal(US)
Exec prods: Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner
Prod: Natascha Wharton
Co-prod: Richard Johns
Scr: Derek Boyle, Alex De Rakoff, Raymond Friel
Cine: David M Dunlap
Eds: Marguerite Arnold, Jon Harris
Prod des: Joel Collins
Music: The Boilerhouse Boys
Main cast: Orlando Bloom, Omid Djalili, Michael Pena, Rafe Spall, David Kelly, Michael Lerner, Ronni Ancona, Billie Piper
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:17 PM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

Sheesh...could they have torn it apart any more?
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Elements

That's what I say!

I swear these people are looking for something beyond what the film is. Yes this film is never going to win awards, it's not going to change the course of cinematic history, but it is sweet and gentle and it makes you laugh and leaves you with a good feeling. What more do they want?
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Aroreiel

I can't really go into detail about it because I'm still reeling from it. Finally, after all that waiting, it's over. It's not a brilliant movie, but it's extremely cute and entertaining. Better than what the critics are saying. I think maybe they aren't understanding that it's a mock take of those stereotypical characters and the profession....not a drama. Critics need to lighten up, me thinks.

I wanna marry Jimmy. There you go. I can't really pinpoint what were my favourite scenes because I love Jimmy in all of them. But I do love the little Irish jig he does in the ring while Paddy is talking to the camera...and Jimmy collapses in the background Awwwww! Everything...I just love Jimmy! ...and his mate Stan was really amusing.

I'll go more into when I've had time to take it in. Yay!

Can I be Jimmy's bird? *sigh*
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:12 AM
In Valinor

Mirror's Calcium Kid Review

Quote:
THE CALCIUM KID 08:00, Apr 30 2004 (by Kevin O'Sullivan)

Cert 15, 89 mins 4/5 SEE IT

Do we still have a Milk Marketing Board? Who cares. But if the official pushers of Britain’s delicious dairy products continue to exist, they’re going to love The Calcium Kid.

When I was young, it seemed as though about 50 per cent of all TV adverts were aimed at persuading my parents to stuff my face with as much milk and as many eggs as possible. Pick up a pinta, go to work on an egg – oh, for those halcyon (or was it calcium?) days before we realised full-fat cream clogged the arteries to a heart attack inducing extent.

Jimmy Connelly is a throwback to the ’60s. He drinks three pints of milk every day and somehow this makes him healthy. Don’t try this at home kids. Mind you, Jimmy’s doing the job he was born for. He’s a milkman delivering his beloved cows’ juice to his happy customers on a South London estate.

In his spare time he works out at a local gym where he is offered the chance to spar with Britain’s highly promising contender for a world boxing title, tough guy of the ring Pete Wright.

Unfortunately, Jimmy’s enormous intake of milk has built up his calcium levels to such a degree that his rock hard bones are like tungsten. And when Pete attempts his first serious punch, his fist shatters on Jimmy’s cast iron forehead. To Pete’s unquenchable fury, his grudge match against visiting American champion Jose Mendez is off.

To make his money, hapless Jewish promoter Herbie Bush – hilariously played by Omid Djalili – needs a new opponent. Enter the bemused Mr Connelly who, because of his milk habit, Herbie immediately renames The Calcium Kid.

The Kid’s rigorous fitness regime includes his strict diet of fish and chips washed down by oceans of milk. His training is handled by his best mate Stan, triumphantly portrayed by laugh-a-minute Rafe Spall who also delivered the funniest performance in Shaun Of The Dead.

In the title role, the excellent Orlando Bloom contributes to the enormous charm of director Alex De Rakoff’s knock-out comedy.

American Oscar winner Michael Lerner adds his heavyweight credentials as Mendez’s fed-up manager, Frank Bruno makes a cameo and Mrs Chris Evans, aka Billie Piper, plays a glamour girl who wins Jimmy’s heart.

With the exception of another walk-on appearance from the ridiculous Chris Eubank, what more could you ask for?

Old May 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM
Ancalime

Well, it's about TIME! Thanks, EL!

Ancalime
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:05 AM
besotted with buttons

absolutely Anaclime the previews have been less generous huh? good to see someone actually gets the joke.
so excited...going this weekend...

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:09 AM
Aroreiel

Yay! Finally, someone who sees it our way. They actually get that the stereotypes are done on purpose and doesn't take it seriously. Hallelujah! I'm glad there's at least a few good critics out there somewhere.
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Elements

Someone gets it! This is what I thought about it too, and it is so good to find someone who is willing to print what they think and not what they think makes them look good (as I suspect others have done). Wonder if this was the person laughing loads when I saw it?
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM
clpm_9

I agree having just returned from seeing it.
It is a very cute film it won't win any acting accolades but it was certainly fun and enjoyable. I really liked the way the mockumentry style that it was shot in. There are some very funny and sweet and sad moments in the film. I really am very glad I decided to see the film and make up my own mind.

I found Jimmy totally adorable, and Orlando made him believable actually none of the characters came across being too much . Thankfully there was very little of Billie Piper.
And on the shallow side there are lots of shots of Orlando's eyes and ohh aren't they expressive- especially when he's upset -I was lost

Charlotte

PS I agree with Aroreiel I defiantly want to be one of Jimmy's girls.

Edited to say the I forgot the music it was very good
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Cl@re

A lot of my friends keep saying to me "Do I have to go with you? It's got terrible reviews. It looks terrible."
I don't know how many times I have to explain to them about the humour, they as many others are not giving it a fair chance because they simply "don't get it" as you are putting here. It sums up my whole struggle with my friends. Luckily I have found one who asked if she could come with me, a none Orlando fan - so no bias. I asked her out of curiosity why she wanted to see it to which she replied: "Well, cause it looks funny!" I had to applaud her for not listening to other "critics" and wanting to make up her own mind.
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:14 PM
besotted with buttons

just got back from the film- thought it was Fab!! OK maybe not oscar winning but DEFINATELY better than some of the reviews were claiming

all the intelligent points about the film have been made...Ele saw it some time ago and i remember reading her synposis of the plot...plus those girls up there *points up* re the music, style etc- i also thought that the portrayal of racism was well done..ie it was shown up to be a load of ****

so on to the more shallow points which i am sure will be more interesting than my observations about film style
firstly Orlando Bloom is on the screen for amost the entire film, so that is just fine
secondly his face is just SOO expressive- some of those Will type faces..some legolas angst, some orlando bloom smiles, some just drop dead goregeous close ups- that furrowing of the brow thing he does- gah!
thirdly- i have seen this in the middle of the day- there was me, my partner and 4 women in the whole cinema, yet when he took his boxers dressing gown off and we got a real close up of his chest there was an audible gasp...(not from my partner i hasten to add..he did think it was a really good film though- better than he expected)
fourthly- if those photo shoot ones weren't enough to change yur mind about sweatpants..hold on to your seats ladies..on an even more shallow note--there is NO WAY that was a fold in the material, when he walks down the tunnel to the fight
fifthly he doesn't look so young in the flesh as it were compared to the pictures
sixthly- i am floored...wanna see it again....couldn't speak on the way home

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Sazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuit
on an even more shallow note--there is NO WAY that was a fold in the material, when he walks down the tunnel to the fight
Errrrr... now I really want to see this movie Have to wait until the DVD gets out though