Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old August 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Pumpkin Spice

I'm also hoping we'll get the score at some point. I love the music that Nancy Wilson wrote.
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Etoiline

I just got my copy of "Songs from the Brown Hotel." The whole charity thing moved me to it (besides, it was only $10 after shipping, so what the heck). Unfortunately it got shipped UPS which means I had to pick it up at the UPS customer center, because they can't and won't leave it at the apartment. Anyway, it's a sweet little cd. Short, but sweet.

It's nice to see the soundtrack listing, but I'll join the ranks in hoping they put out a score as well. I've had the ETown official site open at work for days, just listening to the sdtk. Was a separate score released for Almost Famous?

And on a random note: Steve Jalabonsky or however it's spelled, the composer of the music for the movie The Island, thanks Harry Gregson-Williams, the composer of Kingdom of Heaven, in his liner notes. Apparently Hans Zimmer produced the album, and you might recall how Zimmer is buddies with HGW and they've worked together on previous Ridley Scott movies, etc...just an interesting coincidence, I thought. I *also* thought the music for The Island sounded an awful lot like Zimmer's work, so I'm glad to be validated of course, that's OT.

So, let's all send a mental message to Cameron...release the score!

~Cal
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM
OBsessed

I looked online yesterday to see if any scores had been released for CC's movies, Cal, but I didn't see anything... I'm like you-I've been listening to those songs from the site over and over again at work. I love them.

I wonder if there's a way to send a note to him through his website, and ask about the score. I'll have to check that out.
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:09 AM
luv4ever

the track list and pic is now on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Pumpkin Spice

A good article from jambase.com:

Quote:
Filmmaker Cameron Crowe's well-known love of setting music to his movies has resulted in a number of unforgettable modern marriages of film and song, from Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" in "Say Anything," to Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" bus singalong at the emotional peak of "Almost Famous." In addition, the Academy Award and Grammy-winning director has always taken special care to create a cohesive soundtrack album that stands on it's own, as evidenced by the platinum or gold-status of "Jerry Maguire," "Say Anything," "Singles," and "Almost Famous." Now, after months of speculation on the musical line-up of his new film, the romantic-drama "Elizabethtown," the official soundtrack release has been set for release on RCA Records on September 13.
Inspired by a road trip through his father's home-state of Kentucky, a place filled with Crowe family roots, he says, "The celebratory mood and story of 'Elizabethtown' arrived quickly, almost fully formed. I hadn't been back there and seen those electric blue-green vistas since my dad's funeral years earlier. Suddenly, I had to get lost in that great state, driving the highways, feeling all those feelings, and out of that grew this modern folk tale about love and loss and failure and inspiration... and of course, music. Before long, 'Elizabethtown' felt like more of a musical than even 'Almost Famous,' a movie about music. The music turned out to be as important as any of the characters - it's the inner voice of 'Elizabethtown,' a friendly guide and a secret muse."

For the soundtrack to "Elizabethtown," Crowe put together a musical landscape he nicknames the Great American Radio Station, recalling the inspired freedom and authentic eclecticism of modern radio's halcyon days of the 60's and 70's, when music was often celebrated in all its varying forms and eras, often back-to-back. That mix provided the soundtrack to many a soul-searching road trip. The road trip, a near-mythical American institution, is the motif for the soundtrack CD and a direct reference to the powerful final act of the film, "Elizabethtown," which stars Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst and will be released by Paramount Pictures on October 14th.

For the line-up of artists represented on "Elizabethtown," Crowe turned both to radio legends, obscure gems and developing artists who share the spirit of the movie's musical soul. Tracks from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Elton John, share the spotlight with modern classics from Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, Lindsey Buckingham and My Morning Jacket. Also represented are newer acts like Wheat and I-Nine, who Crowe first heard from a live demo recorded last year at Eddie's Attic, a disc shared by friend and fellow fan CIMS owner Don Van Cleave.

Atlanta-based J Records artist I-Nine now make their recording debut here with the album's first single, one of the movie's original compositions, "Same In Any Language," written by Crowe and the film's scoring artist Nancy Wilson. Wilson's score is also featured prominently throughout the film. Tom Petty and Lindsey Buckingham contribute previously unreleased songs with "Square One," and "Shut Us Down" respectively. Helen Stellar, an unsigned band and another recent Crowe discovery, make their debut here with "i.o. (This Time Around)." Crowning the new offerings is a beautiful atmospheric composition, "Where To Begin" by My Morning Jacket, written especially for the film by Jim James. James and the Kentucky-based My Morning Jacket were also important early influences on Crowe and the project, and worked with the director on Kentucky locations and details. "There is nothing quite like the deep American soul of My Morning Jacket," he says, "and I'm proud their music runs through the movie."

The rich mix of music represented in "Elizabethtown" goes beyond this first collection, of course, and awaits further release subsequent to the film's debut. The movie's music also includes songs by Pinback, Kathleen Edwards, Washington Phillips, and a stunning new song, "Words," by Ryan Adams, also written for the movie. "If you're a director and a music fan," says Crowe, "every movie you make is an opportunity to create your own cinematic radio station. This one was a blast to program."
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Etoiline

You all know that they've updated the official site to include short samples of the songs on the soundtrack along with the score pieces, yes? Also has the track listing on the site.

I love Claire's journal. That's great stuff.

Thanks earthcrosser and Pumpkin Spice! I'm sure there won't be a score released, then, but a girl can always dream...

~Cal
Old September 13th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Etoiline

I hate posting after myself, but I thought this deserved a new post. I went in before work today (just after Borders opened at 9 am) and picked up the soundtrack. It's good! nice to finally hear the songs in full. I still wish there would be a score cd released, but I recorded the music from the website so at least I can listen to it whenever I want...

The liner booklet included is very cute. It's got what looks like scrapbook pages from the "map" Claire gives Drew. And the cover that we've all seen is actually a slipcover, with the cover of the liner notes looking like the suitcase for the map. Good stuff.

I also picked up the 2006 OB calendar with Sebastian Copeland pictures and the untitled version of Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous, which I just finally saw over the weekend. It was interesting listening to the score for that movie and comparing it with the score from ETown. They're very similar, but both pretty.

I hope ETown has a singalong to an Elton John song like in Almost Famous

~Cal
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Crazy in Love

I got the soundtrack too and scanned the images. Ugh, I love the lay-out of the soundtrack. I feel like it is the scrapbook itself! SO CUTE.

Sorry about the quality of the scans.

Okay, the cover we have seen before is actually a paper cover, not the cover of the cd itself.

and the back of it...

The backdrop or whatever you call it, where you put the actual CD.

The the booklet inside. This is the cover:

The back:

As for the inside, Ugh, it is so cute. Here they are, in order.

Enjoy!

The soundtrack is worth buying. TRUST ME.
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Forgot that this was coming out today. Bad girl !! But will be going to the mall tomorrow and will be sure to pick up my copy.

Thanks for posting the pics, Amby.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Lysistrata

I just got it my father brought it home for me since he stopped at Best Buy, Wooo-Hooooo. I love this soundtrack.
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:41 AM
luv4ever

that is such a cute booklet. thanks ambayuun
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Soul On Fire

Stupid Best Buy! Stupid Target! They didn't have the soundtrack. I was thinking about going to Wal-Mart and Circuit City and possibly K-Mart today. Online shopping is my last resort. (Takes too long to get here.)
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbabe04
Stupid Best Buy! Stupid Target! They didn't have the soundtrack. I was thinking about going to Wal-Mart and Circuit City and possibly K-Mart today. Online shopping is my last resort. (Takes too long to get here.)
Awww, sorry! The Best Buy I went to only had one copy, ONE COPY! Try TOWER RECORDS! They usually have everything.
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Soul On Fire

I went to the Wal-Mart closest to me, then FYE, Circuit City, and K-Mart, and the last place I looked was at the Wal-Mart that was 10 miles away from me and I FINALLY found it. I drove around for an hour looking for one CD The things a fan will do for their man! I'm listening to it now and I absolutely love it so far!
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:41 PM
OBsessed

I'm so embarrased that I don't have it yet!!! I can't believe it.

Thanks for all the scans and stuff. I really can't wait to get it!!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Crazy in Love

Elizabethtown Music Score CD

According to Amazon, it will be out October 11th, 2005.

Here is the cute cover. I think it is Orlando and SIDI. Why Drew and a DOG? I find it weird, as there is even no dog in the movie. Unless that is CLaire on a leash!

Last edited by ambayuun; September 22nd, 2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Human News Ticker

Thats a great cover! Did they just find a picture of Orlando and Sidi they liked and decide to use it?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interconnector
Thats a great cover! Did they just find a picture of Orlando and Sidi they liked and decide to use it?
Maybe But it's really cute, I love it!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
sblomie99

Is that also the same Nancy Wilson from Heart?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interconnector
That is what I was thinking. I guess they were thinking that it was such a good picture for it not to be used.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblomie99
Is that also the same Nancy Wilson from Heart?
Why yes it is-- she is married to Cameron Crowe. I think she has done music for him in the past, but don't hold me to that.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:47 AM
luv4ever

LMAO claire on a leash. yeah i wonder why sidi is there. anyways its cute. thanks
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM
Etoiline

SO happy about this! Just spent a goodly amount of time on the official site with the new goodies and just happened to click on the music tab for fun, didn't think it would be updated. But lo and behold, a score! YES! Even though I already recorded the music from the website, it will be nice to have the official version.
It does look like Sidi, doesn't it? Maybe Sidi shows up in the film somewhere

Nancy Wilson has indeed written music for Cameron's films in the past. She also scored Almost Famous and cowrote the Stillwater (fictional band of the movie) songs, and I assume she wrote some of the songs that this movie's fictional band (Ruckus) will perform.

I am a score *****, so this makes me so happy.

~Cal
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Etoiline

So apparently God was listening and urged Cameron Crowe to release the score *recall the "send mental note to release score" post I made earlier on the page* since the official site is reporting that the score, with all the instrumentals that play on the site, will be released October 11. Yay! Makes my little score-loving heart so happy. Since it's only coming out days before the movie, I hope that it will be in stock when I go to pick up my Kingdom of Heaven dvd, which, incidentally, also comes out that day

~Cal
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Light

thanks