Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old August 10th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Crazy in Love

from MTV.com here.

Cameron Crowe Requests My Morning Jacket 'Freebird' For Film

08.09.2005 4:58 PM EDT

Quote:
Being that they're from the South Louisville, Kentucky, to be exact and given that they're currently one of a handful of bands saddled with the "Southern rock" handle made famous by Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers Band, My

Morning Jacket couldn't have picked a worse way to break into the movie biz.

"We're all in Cameron Crowe's new film, 'Elizabethtown,' " MMJ frontman Jim James laughed (see "Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst Sign On For Cameron Crowe's 'Elizabethtown"). "We play a rock band called Ruckus. And the one scene where we're actually performing as the band, we're playing 'Freebird.' "

So not only are they introduced to the moviegoing masses as a fictitious longhaired Kentucky rock act, but they're performing perhaps the most famous (and most maligned) song by perhaps the most famous (and most maligned) Southern rock act of all time in a movie about the eccentricities of life in a small Southern town. Director Crowe might've stuck the band in matching overalls and corncob pipes while he was at it.

But My Morning Jacket don't seem to care. They've been dealing with the whole Southern rock thing ever since they emerged from the barn behind (former) guitarist Johnny Quaid's grandmother's house with 1999's The Tennessee Fire and their breakthrough album, 2001's At Dawn (see "My Morning Jacket: What Everyone Will Be Wearing").

"There's not a whole lot we can do about it. I mean, we are from the South. And people kind of look at us a bit weird, but we fit where we make ourselves fit," James said. "I can understand it a lot more with our older albums, but with our new one, we made an effort to move a bit beyond all that."

That new album, Z (out October 4), is a markedly different effort for the band. For one, the marathon jam sessions that made up the last album, 2003's It Still Moves, have been replaced with shorter, tighter, more vicious pop numbers. Also gone is MMJ's penchant for reverb, which was on full display the last time around, thanks to the band's custom-built echo chamber (actually just an old silo). Most shocking of all, though, is James' evolution as a vocalist.

On previous efforts, he'd been dismissed as nothing more than a warbling Neil Young impersonator, but on Z his voice is given room to expand and contract. And the results be it his crystal-clear falsetto on "Dondante" or his punchy drawl on "What a Wonderful Man" are shocking.

"The last record was all long songs, with like 8,000 different things going on, and on the new one we wanted to cut things back and let each element kind of grow," James said. "This time it was a lot less 'OK, on the count of three, everyone start jamming!' "

Some of the songs on Z will also appear in "Elizabethtown," Crowe's look at love and family set against the backdrop of the real-life Kentucky town of the same name. Due in theaters October 14, it stars Orlando Bloom as a failed designer who returns to the small town for his father's funeral, along the way falling in love with Claire, a free-spirited flight attendant played by Kirsten Dunst. Like all of Crowe's films, it plays out like a visual mixtape, a testament to the writer/director's love for all things musical (see "Cameron Crowe: Hometown Hero").

"Cameron saw us perform at the Troubadour [in West Hollywood] about three years ago and came backstage and introduced himself and talked to us about the story of 'Elizabethtown,' about his travels back to Kentucky and the nostalgia he felt there," James said. "And he wanted to talk to us about what life was like in Louisville and what our families were like. And he's been talking to us for the past three years about music and the movie and life."

Other artists appearing on the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack include Ryan Adams, Elton John and Tom Petty. According to RCA Records, the track list is still being finalized though they'd better hurry up, since it's due in stores on September 13. And if the film and soundtrack do forever frame My Morning Jacket as nothing more than Southern-rock pretenders, well, James is OK with that. After all, he can always fall back on a career as the guitarist for Ruckus.

"Ruckus already performed once. At the after party for the movie," James laughed. "Maybe we could take that act on the road. Open up for some jam bands. Who knows? Ruckus only really knows two songs and one of them is 'Freebird.' "

Check out everything we've got on "Elizabethtown."

James Montgomery
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:28 AM
luv4ever

cool. thanks ambayuun
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:03 AM
sored2me

I guess this answers the question of what song is playing whent that flaming stuffed bird flies in and sets off the sprinklers.

Red
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Etoiline

So it's gonna be 'a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll'?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Man I wish my life could lend itself to 'visual mixtape'-ing.

I can't believe it's this far in August already. Just a few days plus a month before this comes out!

~Cal
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:44 PM
jsclark86

Amazon.com has the album cover for Elizabethtown.

Here it is:

Old August 15th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Crazy in Love

Cool. Very cool! Thank you so much!!!!
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:05 AM
luv4ever

cool thanks js. is the track list there too?
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:58 AM
jsclark86

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4ever
cool thanks js. is the track list there too?
No, they don't have the track listing yet, but I'm sure they will have up pretty soon.
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:02 AM
luv4ever

ok js. thanks. i just noticed the pop. crossed out and put 2. thats cute
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Crazy in Love

This is gonna be an amazing soundtrack...... Aaaaaaaaah! I cannot wait! OH MY GOSH! I love the score! I can envision the scenes in my mind with each musical score... OH MY GOSH. They pretty much gave away everything in the official website, well, maybe not. But they gave away a lot about the soundtrack. It is amazing. Just amazing! and the titles on each score, oooooooh, like "Sun on the Rug", "Telephone Waltz" and "Every Snowlake" are really interesting! Ugh, I love the Telephone Waltz one... So melancholic yet so, bright. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack. I never owned a Soundtrack since, ummmmm, A Walk to Remember.

Last edited by ambayuun; August 16th, 2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Just Another Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoiline
So it's gonna be 'a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll'?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Cameron Crowe. The man has an ear for mood and music.
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM
arwen_undomiel

I've been listening to the songs on the official website. And Im in love with "Every Snowflake"! Well, others are also great but this one just..touched my heart.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Kensi1212

I went to ear-x-tacy and got mine (and a few for friends) today. Had a nice chat with a man who drove Orlando around for weeks. They're keeping them behind the counter. It's just in a sleeve and you've seen the track listing. It benefits a local charity.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM
jsclark86

Hey, I just noticed that the song from the "Training Wheels" video is on the soundtrack but it's the instrumental version. It's called "Same In Any Lingo" I love this soundtrack. I've been listening to it everyday. This is gonna be the end of me when the movie comes out.
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensi1212
I went to ear-x-tacy and got mine (and a few for friends) today. Had a nice chat with a man who drove Orlando around for weeks. They're keeping them behind the counter. It's just in a sleeve and you've seen the track listing. It benefits a local charity.

You got the soundtrack?? Where are you located??

Never mind! I googled and LOOK!

Website to order!!

Last edited by thalassatx; August 17th, 2005 at 10:13 PM. Reason: More information!!
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Etoiline

Wow. just visited the official site and listened to the music there. I hope all of that beautiful instrumental stuff is actually on the cd. I hate it when they offer stuff and get hopes up and it's not there! What a wonderful soundtrack...

guess I should get back to studying.

~Cal
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
OBsessed

Etoiline...I shoulda known I'd find you here.

I really want to buy the promo disc, but just don't have the cash right now. And then I was thinking maybe iTunes would have it some day, but then I thought about the money going to charity. ARGH!!

Anyway, I'm going to keep my eyes on Amazon.com to see the tracklisting. I can't wait!!!!

ETA:
two things I've learned since I posted:

My Father's Gun is from Tumbleweed Connection, an old record of Elton's. I love his old stuff.

Telephone Waltz is a beautiful song.

Last edited by earthcrosser; August 23rd, 2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Human News Ticker

Here is the tracklist from Billboard

"60B (etown theme)," Nancy Wilson
"It'll All Work Out," Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
"My Father's Gun," Elton John
"io (This Time Around)," Helen Stellar
"Come Pick Me Up," Ryan Adams
"Where To Begin," My Morning Jacket
"Long Ride Home," Patti Griffin
"Sugar Blue," Jeff Finlin
"Don't I Hold You," Wheat
"Shut Us Down," Lindsey Buckingham
"Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)," the Hombres
"Hard Times," eastmountainsouth
"Jesus Was a Crossmaker," the Hollies
"Square One," Tom Petty
"Same in Any Language," I Nine
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:39 AM
luv4ever

wow. thats great. thanks interconnector! i cant wait for this
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:34 PM
OBsessed

Wow. So none of the stuff that Nancy wrote, with the exception of 60B and Same in Any Language, will be on there??? That's such a bummer! I wonder if there will be another way for us to get it???

I'm sure the soundtrack will be great, but I really wish they'd put some more of her stuff on it.
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Jenni_fromTexas

Is it just me, or was Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" conspicuously left out? What about "Freebird", Bob Dylan's "Tambourine Man", and didn't Cameron Crowe mention he was also going to throw in some Jeff Buckley as well...? Maybe there will be a another 2-disc set released? Or maybe this article doesn't have the finalized version of the soundtrack? I suppose we'll see when Amazon actually posts the track listings. I really like Patty Griffin, though, nice choice on her. Beautiful voice.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
OBsessed

so I was thinking...

maybe there'll be a score that accompanies the soundtrack. Nancy scored the movie, really. So maybe there's hope that these instrumentals will appear in a separate collection.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I'm hoping there's more, too :) I can't wait though. I'm sure I'm going to love whatever songs we end up with, and hey, maybe we can collect our own of the songs they don't put on there. :)
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:19 AM
luv4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni_fromTexas
Is it just me, or was Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" conspicuously left out? What about "Freebird", Bob Dylan's "Tambourine Man", and didn't Cameron Crowe mention he was also going to throw in some Jeff Buckley as well...? Maybe there will be a another 2-disc set released? Or maybe this article doesn't have the finalized version of the soundtrack? I suppose we'll see when Amazon actually posts the track listings. I really like Patty Griffin, though, nice choice on her. Beautiful voice.
oh yeah i just noticed that. hmmm... i wonder
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Crazy in Love

from Business Wire here.

Quote:
Tom Petty, Cameron Crowe, Together Again for ``Elizabethtown''
August 24, 2005 04:42 PM US Eastern Timezone

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 24, 2005--Tom Petty will see four of his songs featured in Oscar-nominated writer/director Cameron Crowe's upcoming feature film, "Elizabethtown," starring Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst and Susan Sarandon, set for release October 14, 2005.

Petty contributes two brand new Petty compositions, "Jack" and "Square One," as well as the Grammy nominated "Learning to Fly" from the 1991 "Into the Great Wide Open" album. Also, his track "It'll All Work Out" will be featured throughout the film as both instrumental and with vocals as a recurring theme incorporated into the story of an unexpected romance that blossoms between a young woman and man during an outrageous memorial for a Southern patriarch.

Crowe stated, "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are one of the very finest American bands of the last thirty years. I've always found Petty's music a powerful fit with the movies I've written or directed. Plus, as anybody who's ever put together a road-mix CD knows very well, no trip and no highway is quite the same without the Heartbreakers to set the mood. Petty was an early musical inspiration for 'Elizabethtown' with his great song 'It'll All Work Out.' It's only right that as the movie took shape, his songs landed perfectly again and again."

Petty and Crowe have collaborated on various projects over the years. Crowe wrote the first-ever Rolling Stone feature on Petty and the Heartbreakers as well as the liner notes for the CD "Anthology: Through the Years." In 1982, he made his directorial debut with the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers MTV special, "Heartbreakers' Beach Party." In addition, Petty's "American Girl" was featured in Crowe's first major film, the 1982 cult classic "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," and "Free Fallin'" appeared in Crowe's 1996 blockbuster "Jerry Maguire."

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, who next year will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of their self-titled debut album, are currently in the midst of one of this summer's hottest tours. In the Los Angeles Times' review, Richard Cromelin noted that Petty & the Heartbreakers' show was "an enduring statement of underdog determination and purity of heart, wrapped up in an undiminished joy in the pleasures and potential of fundamental rock'n'roll." Preceding the 30th anniversary, Petty will see the release of "Conversations with Tom Petty," an extensive Q&A book that is the first to chronicle Petty's extraordinary life and career.

For complete info on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, log onto http://tompetty.com/
Ugh. I just had to say I can't stop listening to those original scores in the offical website. They are wonderful. "Every Snowflake" is BEAUTIFUL! Oh my, it has this romantic quality to it. "Headstone" is amazing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni_fromTexas
Is it just me, or was Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" conspicuously left out? What about "Freebird", Bob Dylan's "Tambourine Man", and didn't Cameron Crowe mention he was also going to throw in some Jeff Buckley as well...? Maybe there will be a another 2-disc set released? Or maybe this article doesn't have the finalized version of the soundtrack?
The TRACK LISTING is official, as it is already posted in CAMERON CROWE.com as seen here.

Last edited by ambayuun; August 25th, 2005 at 07:00 AM.