Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old June 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Elf

The "dance" rings a bell. They had to get dizzy to have the drunk appeal *bwhahah* Atleast thats what I think they were doing...

At this point, I feel like all of us need to meet up in Louisville for the premiere and a showing *bwhaha* Yes yes, I am insane; but its for Drew.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
Human News Ticker

I'm with you too Leggybelle, i can't wait till i actually get to see this for myself.
There is so little out there for this right now though that i can't stop myself reading these early reviews and getting way too excited.

A poster over at OscarWatch has also seen the movie and loved it.

In reference to that bad review on IMDB.
Quote:
That review has been established as BOGUS. It mentions scenes that were only in the script and not in the screened version. Why people do that is beyond me. I was at the screening, and I'm still thinking about it -- it's a magical movie.
Quote:
I think it's Crowe's best work, very lyrical and funny. The feeling is like a cross between "Almost Famous" and "Say Anything" with a dash of "Local Hero" and "Harold and Maude." Big step for Crowe as director too. Performances are very very strong, with the two leads way out front. And yep, Judy Greer is a stand-out. The "new" Paramount can really do something with this one, if they look to their own history of doing well with quirky funny and emotional character comedy. (Like "Harold and Maude" or even "Terms of Endearment.") Oh, and there's a side character named Chuck who nearly steals the show, the guy who is getting married in the hotel as Bloom is dealing with his father's funeral. Didn't get his name, but he got an ovation during the movie.

Last edited by Interconnector; June 2nd, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
Crazy in Love

Wow, Cameron Crowe's best work huh?! You guys do not know how happy I am to hear such AMAZING reviews of this movie... It has been consistent so far except for that BOGUS REVIEW. I hope this wins the BEST PICTURE in the OSCARS, really... Oh GOD, I can't wait.

Another review from imdb.com written by yankee_flyboy.

Again, take with a grain of salt.

*SPOILERISH*
Quote:
I attended the screening to this movie in Roseville, California last week or so. I was actually asked to while standing in line for Star Wars, and I have submitted a comment for it, although it is not up yet.

I will say this much, this movie reeks of Cameron Crowe and his... different style. Parts of it were funny, parts of it dragged. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Kirsten Dunst is wired in this movie. She plays an annoying airline stewardess and does it well, with high energy. However, I couldn't find anything to like about the character, and I REALLY don't like Kirsten Dunst. Call me biast on this one.

Orlando Bloom is... very mixed in his perfomance. His overall narrative seems to be better than his actuall acting! He does the funniest speech at the begining of the movie. He actually gets fired for designing a flop of a shoe that has wings and is meant to give the sensation of walking on air. When onstage with other actors he seems to be really subpar at times, while by himself, the perfomance is really quite good.

Alec Baldwin is in this movie all of ten minutes. He is a scene stealing bastard, and really funny. He may be the highlight of the film.

Susan Sarandon gives a phenomenal perfomance, albeit supporting.

A third of the film, apparently, is devoted to a road trip. And it comes at the end.

The ending was really, really, really bad. BAD bad. -------->

Not to say it was a bad movie, parts of it were really enjoyable. Sadly you can't just call it a love story (or a comedy, or a drama) because Cameron Crowe, or whoever wrote the script, entertwines so many themes, its like a book (in the Royal Tennenbaums sense). Parts of this movie are really dark, such as when Orlando is faced with the prospect of killing himself (via an excercise bike and a duct taped knife to the handle bar). Orlando's character can't catch a break, and it is hilarious- darkly hilarious, as we watch him contemplate suicide and watch all his stuff get jacked.

In short, if you were planning on seeing this move, go for it. You'll get what you expected, and so much more. If you'tr looking for something to watch that isn't thick or complicated, go see The Longest Yard. 7/10

Last edited by Llyneth; June 2nd, 2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:39 AM
Elf

Quote:
The ending was really, really, really bad. BAD bad
Someone's jealous..
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:55 AM
Pumpkin Spice

Thanks for the info. 8 minutes doesn't seem like it would make that big a difference. You'd think if they were to show 2 different versions, that there'd be a bigger difference between the two. But what do I know. Maybe it was 8 minutes of "slow" stuff. Like anything with our man could be slow.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:26 AM
Crazy in Love

Okay, the threads at imdb.com that had showcased early reviews of Elizabethtown had been deleted, due to the ugly accusations of WHO'S a fake or not... HAHA. Anyway, somebody brought WHY they were deleted and the same person who wrote the 7/10 review said this:

Quote:
I don't know. I was at the screenings, and I submitted a comment like a week ago and it still isn't up. I think (and this is just hearsay) that the screenings were to see if the movie had any merit, and that the company is thinking of scrapping it. It is a bizzarre movie, even from me, a guy who runs with the strangest. Then again, look at everything else Cameron Crowe has done. I think they're trying to keep it on the downlow information wise. But take that with a grain of salt, I could be (and probably am) wrong.
HUH?! This guy is freakin' stupid. How can it be a bizarre movie?! ARE YOU dumb?

Britgirl from the same forum said very nicely.

Quote:
The screenings were to see if the movie had any merit? Are you joking? You think Paramount is going to shell out $50-$60 mil just for the hell of it and then decide "screw it, the screenings didn't go as planned so we'll just dump the whole movie"? If the movie business worked like that I imagine 75% of movies would never make it past the screening stage and would all be junked before they hit the theatre.

Personally I loved the script and thought it was classic Cameron Crowe. The reviews that I have read so far (excluding yours) have been very positive so I'm not worried that Paramount is going to scrap this movie any time soon.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:27 AM
Human News Ticker

You beat me too the thread deletion info ambayuun

I don't think the threads were deleted because of people calling each other fakes, i have seen much uglier threads never get shut down. Also it was only one thread that was happening on and the other threads that got deleted were very civil.
I think Paramount might have had a hand in this, maybe they were upset about the story being leaked by so many people.

I don't know what to make of that 7/10 reviewer, he says that the story is bizarre (which it definately isn't) but then look at what Crowe is known for. Vanilla Sky excluded, since when has Cameron Crowe been known for his weird movies?

Last edited by Interconnector; June 2nd, 2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
Pumpkin Spice

Scrap it? Sure, why not. "Eh, it's not conventional. Let's just toss it."
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interconnector
Something strange has happened over at IMDB. All of the threads (except for that newest one) that dealt with the screenings have been deleted by the administrator. I wonder if Paramount have decided to crack down on them?
Probably, or simply because it really go too ugly.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambayuun
Probably, or simply because it really go too ugly.
I've seen posters over there try to shoot movies they have never seen down just because they want to be mean,or because they don't like the actors in them.
That board is so full of idiots that the one's who actually have something valid to say get lost in all their crap.

It's a bad thing that this site seems to have a lot of merit out there,because it doesn't deserve it at all,IMHO.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Human News Ticker

Here are some more reports...i can't believe these are still appearing a week later.

More from OscarWatch

Quote:
(on it's awards chances) I think the movie could catch a big wave, if positioned correctly, which shouldn't be too hard. It's very likable and its a big emotional journey... no movie like it right now, and nothing like it on the horizon. Possible BP and definitely strong in the Director/Screenplay category for Crowe, maybe Supporting for Dunst/Sarandon. Bloom, you never know, if the movie takes hold. His accent was good, and pretty expressive, I liked it. It's his movie in many ways, though he's surrounded with a lot of wonderful character actors. Greer plays the emotionally wrecked daughter of Sarandon (a good match). She'll get a lot of notice from this part. Music was a standout, surprising amount of score and then a slew of great records in the last third of the movie. When the movie was over, a lot of people just stayed in their seats and let the whole experience stay with them... me included.
From majik_cat at IMDB.

Quote:
About a week ago, I saw a rough cut of Elizabethtown.

1... Script was fantastic
2... Kirsten was fine... She and Orlando did have chemistry on screen.
3... Accent was just fine.. It was weird though.. I just wasn't use to hearing him not have the British accent. He was great as Drew.

I had a great time, and was very entertained... I laughed my bum off. The audience gave a thunderous round of applause after the showing.
Quote:
(in reference to the 7/10 poster) I was at the screening too, and I don't agree with you. I really liked the movie, and laughed my bum off. There were a few slow spots, but since this was a rough cut, they will be edited out. That's why they wanted feedback from the audience.

Kristen was a little bit over the top, but that is the way the role is suppose to be. She is suppose to be the annoying busy body, and she does that with flying colors. I'm not even a fan of hers.

How is Drew suppost to act when he's the focus of attention of relatives he hasn't ever met? His father died, his life is destroyed... I think that's why he stood back and watched what was happening around him. I don't think his acting was bad at all. I think a normal person would have been withdrawn in that crowd. Orlando's acting was right on.

The audience clapped at the end of the movie, so I'm not alone when I say.. It is a good movie.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
In Valinor

How strange that the review threads were eliminated by the IMDB admins. Anyway, thanks for being on top of everything Interconnector. I think we've all come to rely on you to gather all these reviews! Thanks also to ambayuun!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Favor please! If the review contains plot spoilers, please post a spoiler warning in your post, as this thread is not marked for spoilers, just general reviews of how people liked the film so far.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Human News Ticker

Yet another positive review from here

*SLIGHT SPOILERS*

Quote:
Oh lord. I just got back from the test showing of Elizabethtown, and Oh My God, I am just over the moon at getting the chance to have seen this film. I LOVED IT. Words can't properly express how happy this movie made me. I'm really sad that I can't go see it again right now and even more sad that the soundtrack isn't in stores for me to buy. I just. So good.

Oh god. Let me just state now and for the record: All you people out there who said that Orlando Bloom can't act? You're WRONG. DEAD WRONG. He's good in this, really really good, and his chemestry with Kirsten Dunst is nothing short of fabulous. I want the two of them to run right out and have millions of adorable babies right this second. I love their characters. I love the way that their characters interact. I love love love the phone conversation that they have, and if they cut that from the movie I will CRY.

The really major thing here is that the movie me HAPPY. The ending? Was one of the best movie endings I've seen in FOREVER. I hope they don't change a thing about it. It was also a very very very funny and touching movie, which I honestly wasn't expecting at all. After it was over, my friend Charlotte turned to me and said something like "I can't remember when a movie made me so happy." I agreed, but honestly, I can remember. And it was the first time I saw Garden State, which is really saying something.

Whee! Charlotte and I got to stick around afterward too, part of a group of 30 or so, to give more in depth opinions. Was fun. Got to be opinionated. Flailed 'bout the music. SO GOOD. Will be buying the soundtrack, omg. I'm fond of Charlotte, and fond of this movie and the whole world.

If you've got any specific questions about this, speak up! Because I will answer, I just don't want to bore anyone.

In any case, when this movie actually comes out in September (I think?) GO SEE IT.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Just Another Freak

Thanks for the reviews Interconnecter. Oh, I just cannot wait to see this movie. I'm going to go nuts waiting. I'm glad that she talked about the phone call scene because everyone's been raving about it since the script came out. I hope that the ending was actually good and not cheesy. Er, I'm such a spoiler ho though, I want more details.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I just love what everyone has said so far about Elizabethtown. Especially that it made them feel so happy ! We need more movies that make us feel happy !

Just reading these comments makes me happy for Cameron Crowe and for all who worked so hard on this movie. I hope Cameron gets the best picture and director award for Elizabethtown. It's also great to hear the awesome comments about Orlando.....he, too, deserves a good movie after the mixed reviews on KOH (in which he was outstanding, but will get no credit ).

I can't wait to see Elizabethtown. I hope it is way better than Garden State, cause that movie was a downer for me. I think the music from Elizabethtown will make the difference here .....cause Cameron Crowe likes the same kind of music as I do.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Crazy in Love

It makes me very happy too leggybelle... and for the movie and cameron crowe, i really hope they get an oscar nod at least. for the Golden Globes, they do have a VERY strong chance. It seems like that this is the only good comedy to come out this year (although THE PRODUCERS (musical) is likely a big hit), but hey, voters love heartwarming and almost autobiographical comedies.. We will see.

As for Orlando, a nomination is really enough for me. I hope he gets a GOLDEN GLOBE for his role as Drew, oh God... But as for the OSCARS, we can only hope. They do have a thing for snubbing young actors. But hey, we will never know. =)

Supporting actors (Judy Greer and Susan Sarandon and possibly Alec Baldwin), from what I have read so far, do have higher hopes in getting nods especially in the OSCARS, since so far, there aren't that many supporting roles that create as much Oscar Buzz as these.

I can't wait for this movie.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Pumpkin Spice

You guys stole what I was going to say ... that review, more than any so far, made me very very happy. I hope that particular poster shares more. For this kind of film (i.e., not mystery or suspense), spoilers don't bother me.
Thanks Interconnector.
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Human News Ticker

Another small comment form the screening from Full Bloom
It's nothing new but it's always nice to read such positive things about the movie.

Quote:
They had a test screening of Elizabethtown out here in Sacramento, CA. And I got to see it. It was amazing. The movie was sooo funny and heartwarming. Orlando did an amazing job, his American accent was dead on. Loved the movie over all. I can't wait to see the end product of this adorable, funny, sad and lovely film.
Old June 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

Sounds good to me!
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:05 AM
DMW3

Just a quickish observation: The reviews, especially the ones at IMDB, seem to be viewing two slightly different films, I wonder whether as in some popular Tv series and as is done in the cases of some films, whether these two different versions of E-Town (the happy version and the sad version) were screened close together so as not to spoil the ending! and to deliberately confuse the internet film spoiler industry

Diane
Old June 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Human News Ticker

Diane, according to some people who were at the screenings there were two different versions screened with one being 8 minutes longer than the other. I haven't heard anything about a happy/sad version though.

Quote:
It seems like that this is the only good comedy to come out this year (although THE PRODUCERS (musical) is likely a big hit),
There are some strong contenders coming out later in the year such as In Her Shoes, Rent, Shopgirl and Walk the Line but i guess we'll just have to wait and see what type of critical reception they get.
Old June 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM
katemcgregor04

All this talk about ETOWN might be making me go slightly crazy with the waiting. I don't even wanna know what my insides are gonna do if they should like...release a trailer or anything.

Old June 5th, 2005, 09:35 PM
katemcgregor04

Oh, and thanks to everyone who bothers to brave the scary Orlando fans (*snort*) to fill us in on your opinions. I don't think I can accurately express how much I appreciate them.
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:59 AM
On a Yellow Slide

please use the edit button to add to a post, instead of double posting close together. thank you!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*