Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Gah- can't wait to see it (the dance, and the whole movie)
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Mists
Good news- Orlando does a little dance... What sort, does it involve significant hip movement?
I can't wait to see him dance... HAVE YOU GUYS ever seen him dance? I haven't... I hope it involves some kind of stripping.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks for posting that bit about Cameron Crowe's reaction to Orlando's "dance". It was wonderful.....and brought tears to my eyes AND I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT YET !!!
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Yeah, I was at that same screening. Got to see the whole film. the titles and credits werent finished yet though. But yeah, it is a really cool movie. As for all those scenes, they turned out really nice. The scenes with all the relitives were done really well, it made you feel like you were actually there with a bunch of people cramed into a small house. And the chuck and cindy scene's are hilarious, Your gonna love it, The audience i saw it with sure loved it. People were cracking up all through the movie. Noone involved with making the movie was there (that i know of) but it was kinda cool seeing a movie that's never been shown to any other audience.
I would say the movie is a dramatic movie, with comedic elements. But done in such a way that it doesnt seem weird. It has some really touching parts, and some hilarious parts.I think the movie will do really well, I think if it is marketed right, then it could be a really big movie. I think a lot of people are gonna like it.
posted by shutupwarren from imdb.com
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

Have I mentioned today that I can't wait to see this movie? Cuz I mean, DAMN. I can't wait to see this movie!
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Human News Ticker

More from here

Quote:
Wow. I am completely blown away.

The film is absolutely amazing, I can't even describe it to you. It's definitely Cameron Crowe's best work... and Orlando Bloom's best acting performance by far. You all will be totally blown away. It's so different from Orlando's previous roles... to be quite honest, I haven't had a very high opinion or Orlando's acting, because all of his previous roles have been the same to me. I just didn't think he was a good actor, but this movie is a total 180! He's absolutely hilarious, but also carries alot of complexity and depth, alot of emotion. It's the widest range I've seen him deliver yet. I'd love to go into all kinds of spoilers and specifics of the film, but I think it would ruin the whole experience for you all... it's truly the kind of brilliant film you all need to see yourselves. The acting is phenomenal, the music (one of my favorite aspects of it... WOW!), the setting, the development of the characters... incredible. I can't wait for the world to see this film!
Another from here

Quote:
On Tuesday I had the pleasure of seeing a rough cut of Elizabethtown. I wont
give away any spoilers, but to say Orlando was adorable and charming. He looses
his accent for the film and it took me a few moments to get used to him without
any accent.

The movie is a wonderful slice of Americana and several times I exclaimed
"Hey, that's exactly like my family!". There were some slow moments (due to
the fact it was a 'rough cut') and some very funny moments. I think this is
going to be a wonderful film when it is complete.

I will give this away. Drew (Orlando) gets lost driving in Kentucky. This is
an absolute HOOT as I was driving through Kentucky last year and got lost! I
know exactly how his character feels!
I know we've only heard from a handful of people but i'm so glad that the film (and Orlando) are getting such a positive reaction from people.

Last edited by Interconnector; May 27th, 2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Aroreiel

I'm getting more excited by the day, I swear. If that's even possible. I know this film is gonna be great.

I wish the trailer would hurry up. I'm impatient to see more of a glimpse of the film.
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:19 PM
petitebaguette

i get so giddy when i read good reviews about this film. my birthday is in october, so this will be an awesome gift.
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Human News Ticker

Another from OBM

Quote:
I just saw the first studio screening for Elizabethtown! It was held at a theater, here in Roseville, CA. It was FANTASTIC! Everything was great.. The humor, the story line... The music was great! I found myself tapping along with songs.. It just all worked for me, and I'm not a fan of comedies.

Orlando really demonstrated what a talented actor he is. He was very expressive and funny throughout the film. Drew is nothing like any of his other roles, and he just shines. Dunst was good too.. There were a few times I thought she was a bit over the top, but this is the first showing of the film.

The movie was 30 minutes late getting started, so the studio paid for all the snacks. A lot of people were taking advantage of this, and nearly cleaned out the snack bar. We were there for over 5 hours, so those extra snacks did come in handy.

I'll stop here. Don't want to spoil it for all of you.. I just know you're going to love it!
There is also a post at the With The Mind board that i will only link to.

Dairwendan asked Laura (the girl who posted these comments) some questions and she was nice enough to answer them and let her post them to that board.
There are quite a few SPOILERS in the post though.

Last edited by Interconnector; May 28th, 2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Pumpkin Spice

Keep it up, Interconnector. I'm loving reading this stuff!
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Crazy in Love

THANKS Interconnector... You are the best when it comes to finding reviews... WOW!

I can't wait to see DREW *break down and cry* in a movie, there is just something about men crying and me falling in love with 'em... YES. I have a history. =)
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Just Another Freak

Gah! I can't stand the wait. With every review my desire to see the movie is doubled. I just know that it's going to be a great movie and finally prove that our boy can act.
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Passionately Enthralled

From the beginning, after seeing some of the behind the scenes footage on the LOTR's DVD extras, I have thought that Orlando had a terrific sense of humor, a real comedic streak .....and that someday some director will use this in a movie.

I just bought the VCD of Calcium Kid, and laughed my head off at Orlando's antics and expressions. Just as I thought, he is great in comedies.

At last, he will be able to show this side of his acting ability in this movie by Cameron Crowe. I really think people will be surprised !!! In Calcium Kid, Orlando is way better than most young comics on the screen today !! With Elizabethtown, he just may have found his place in Hollywood !!

What more could Hollywood want? Talent in serious drama, in action adventure, in romantic love scenes, and in delightful comedies !!! That's our Orlando Bloom.
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

I said this in the release date thread but I'll relay it again here, since this is where I originally meant to post it...

As Orlando said himself, Cameron is the quintessential American director. In my opinion, of our time. He's my favorite by a long shot, even before I heard Orlando was going to be working with him (I was obviously enthusiastic over it). Orlando really couldn't have been smarter then to work with him because this is the guy who takes an actor, molds them, and makes them incredible, all with being extraordinarily soft.

Just look what he did with Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire. I think that says enough as Jerry is, by far in my opinion, Tom's best performance to date. It even earned him an Oscar nom. How's that for incredible? And Kate Hudson won for best supporting actress (or BA) at the Globes for Almost Famous. I can only hope that if Orlando continues down the track of contemporary movies, he REALLY looks at the filmmaker, because it's already proven in his track of movies that that can really make or break it. Clearly, he's got a winner.

I don't want to jinx anything, and I really don't want to see him win (I have my reasons, a lot of them, one being that he wouldn't follow it up with an artsy movie, just pirates, where he might fall into the old, comfortable Will pattern, secondly that I don't think he's at that place in his career yet), but if Orlando nails this, which it really feels like he has 125%, a Globe nom might not be too far on the horizon.

Either way, I can't wait to see him shine.
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM
jsclark86

These are so fun to read. I'm so bummed out right now cuz I live about 20 min from Roseville, CA and I can't believe I missed it! Maybe they'll have another one between now and the time it comes out. Anyways, for thoses that saw it, you're so lucky and I can't wait for this movie!
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:48 PM
The Elf!

Thank you for posting those reviews - a nice little base to build my anticipation upon. Guess it's too soon to start hyerventilating, huh?

It seems like I've been spending a lot of my days holding my breath for the next Orlando movie, even while I'm drooling over his current one(s).
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Tinkerbelle

Oh my I CANT WAIT for this to come out!! Its weird to think that I have never seen him in a "modern" role...with th e exception of BHD. Anywho judging by the reviews so far it looks like its gonna be awsome! I know this may sound weird but I think I am most excited to see him cry......theres just something about hot guys crying that touches my heart haha. Thanx for all the reviews
p.s ...when do we all think that well get a trailer??
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

A not so sunny review from IMDB but psh, like I care. This person doesn't even seem to know who Cameron Crowe is, let alone his style.

Quote:
did we all see the same movie y'all? i was bored and i thought kirsten dusnt was pretty darn bad. i don't expect a lot from her but she was so annoying like she thinks she the cutest thing in the whole wide world. based on the people i sat with she was not. i was really diappointed. i loved jerry maguire and i really liked the one he did with billy crudup. but this movie wasn't very good. the music was good but the movie was so slow, all that stuff in the house, with the cousin and his loud son? i was bored to terrible tears. i'm not trying to be mean, and i think every man and woman for his and herself, but i didn't like this movie at all. fraid i can't recommend it to anyone. it just seemed like an awful todo just to get two good looking people to be like, hey, why not, we got nothing better to do, so lets fall in love because the music cue says so. susan sarandon and the girl who plays her daughter were the best bits to me. all that stuff about cooking and her trying to keep busy, that was real sweet. and i'm a fan of orlando, and his accent was fine, and his acting was fine, but nothing special. what oscar could that possibly yet? y'all must be under the mistaken impression that a movie can get awards for having good music and looking nice. it don't go that way.

hopefully the director will cut out a lot of the boring bits and then maybe it will be worth it, but right now, i have to say it wasn't very good.
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Human News Ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchick
A not so sunny review from IMDB but psh, like I care. This person doesn't even seem to know who Cameron Crowe is, let alone his style.
Of course not everyone is going to like it so it doesn't suprise me that some people at the screening felt differently than the others. I don't think this is a majority opinion though since i have heard that the crowd gave the film a very positive reception.
That poster sounds like they had a problem with the whole storyline of the film and since i already know it (i am a spoiler 'ho and couldn't resist reading the script) i don't think i'm going to be disappointed.

Quote:
it just seemed like an awful todo just to get two good looking people to be like, hey, why not, we got nothing better to do, so lets fall in love because the music cue says so.
This makes me think the poster missed the whole point of the movie.
Spoiler

Having only one negative review out of all reviews we have gotten is pretty darn good. On a shallower note notice how Orlando has not gotten one bad review? Kirsten has gone from fantastc to okay to bad while Orlando has gone from outstanding to good.

Last edited by Llyneth; May 30th, 2005 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added a spoiler tag, as I'm spoilerphobic
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Crazy in Love

yes interconnector, your are right. But still, it is too early to tell... =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchick
I don't want to jinx anything, and I really don't want to see him win (I have my reasons, a lot of them, one being that he wouldn't follow it up with an artsy movie, just pirates, where he might fall into the old, comfortable Will pattern, secondly that I don't think he's at that place in his career yet), but if Orlando nails this, which it really feels like he has 125%, a Globe nom might not be too far on the horizon.

Either way, I can't wait to see him shine.
A nomination will be good enough... But as what you said that you don't him to win because "he wouldn't follow it up with an artsy movie..." I honestly don't care. What did Adrien Brody do after his Oscar win? and Jamie Foxx, he is gonna follow it up with, ehem, eeew, MIAMI vice with the annoying COLIN FARELL?

As long as at that time it makes him shine, and that a "golden globe nominee/winner" on the poster and trailers of his more movies to come will definitely be a plus, no matter what.

Well anyway, a nomination will be fine. That at least we know it is not only us that admires him, but the critics and his peers as well (in case he gets a nod too from the Screen Actors Guild AWARDS)...

If not, it is fine as well. As long as he is able to prove that he can act, without the help of lavish special effects and intricate costumes.

Last edited by ambayuun; May 30th, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old June 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM
Human News Ticker

An interesting point has been bought up on the IMDB thread where the negative review was posted. Another poster has pointed out that a character the negative reviewer is talking about has actually been cut from the movie and was only in the script. They are still sticking to their story but i'm now taking anything she says with a HUGE grain of salt since she could easily have just read the script and not even have seen the movie.

Or they could be screening two versions which is the only other way it could be explained.

Someone else has seen the movie but hasn't really gone into detail yet.

Quote:
Did anybody else see the movie? What did you think? I liked it, thought it was on the long side, great music, great acting even from Mary Jane. I was surprised.
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:00 AM
Crazy in Love

I went to the imdb message board and those people crack me up...

Quote:
Clearly you got a copy of the script on the internet and you are LYING.
SAVEWASH (user name of the author of the negative review) IS A PLANT!!!!
anyway, the person interconnector was talking about actually went into a little more detail, as asked by someone if the movie in itself is too long (2 hours and 20 minutes)and if susan and orlando were good... She is not a big fan of ORLANDO (not knowing much about his work) but she liked his performance...

From IMDB thread

Quote:
It was on the long side, but I wouldn't cut a thing. Maybe a few seconds here or there but not any scenes. It's a long movie but I don't think I would call it slow. There's a lot going on. If they cut out thirty minutes I don't see how it will be the same movie. It will lose all its personality. The looks Drew gives. I think if you cut any scenes you risk losing the full effect of Drew learning to see the world the way Clare does. She kind of saves his life.

I thought Susan Sarandon was amazing. If anything I wish she was in it more. Judy Greer was hilarious and she looked a lot hotter than I ever remember seeing her. I almost didn't recognize her.

Orlando Bloom was really good. The accent didn't bother me but I dont know accents. It didn't even sound incredibly Southern to me. Just American. He did a great job in just being Drew. I don't know his work very well, I have seen the Lord of the Rings movies and Troy. He has a lot more to do here. He comes off very normal. Just a guy who meets this girl. He has some great lines.
Thanks for the link interconnector...

Last edited by ambayuun; June 1st, 2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old June 1st, 2005, 06:36 AM
Human News Ticker

That thread is hilarious, everyone is being called a plant now.

Here are some bits from someone else who saw the film, they can be found if you wade through the 'plant' thread.

From abby-street

Quote:
There were two different movies shown to two different test audiences on two different days in two different theaters. One version was eight minutes longer. This is often done a few months apart, but this is a special movie that is still being messed with. I saw the longer version and I absolutely loved it. Did it seem a little long? Maybe. But I didn't care, because it was amazing. A friend saw the other version. They were almost identical movies. And after both movies there was a contagious round of applause. Hope this is helpful.
Quote:
Both screenings were at the Century 14. One was on Tuesday the 24th at 7pm, one was on Thursday the 26th at 7pm. Both audiences were told they were the first audience to ever see the film, which was essentially correct. The movie shown on Thursday was about eight minutes longer. I thought the Tuesday screening was at the UA 12 but I was wrong. Elizabethtown was fantastic. Hands down, everyone seemed to really love it. I stayed after Thursday in a group of about 20 for a focus group. Nobody involved with the production was there. The criticisms were few, including running time. We were told there was a shorter cut of the movie. I don't think it matters. It's a great movie. Best of luck to you guys, trying to weed through all the testimony isn't going to be easy.
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Great to hear all the good reviews from the test audience......but I am more anxious to see for myself, i.e., the trailers, the promos, etc., and reviews from the movie critics that do this for a living......then I will feel more comfortable in believing that Elizabethtown is as great as IMDB posters say it is.
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM
Squirtle2003

I'm with Leggybelle. I enjoy reading all the reviews from the lucky few who have had the chance to see it already, but I can't wait to see the trailer and the actual film for myself. Orlando is such a great talent and Cameron Crowe is an AMAZING director. Put the two together and bake at 350...you got yourself some sweet cake!