Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old May 19th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Crazy in Love

Elizabethtown reviews, critics and fans

from imdb.com written by jane_says...

Quote:
I think that Etown is Ordinary People with a shot of espresso, or vodka, or Prozac. Ordinary People, brilliant as the performances were and as touching as the movie was, was pretty much a downer. It gives you a father/son story, but also gives you a mother-abandons-her-family ending. Don't get me wrong, I would marry Alvin Sargent in half a heartbeat, and I really loved the movie, but most people didn't leave the theater feeling like happy shiny people.

Elizabethtown is a mixed bag, but it's fun, and funny, and sexy (not "sexual," you know what I mean by sexy). I think I said the movie reminds me of a marriage of Ordinary People (depressed young guy at a crossroads with his life and family) and Jerry Maguire (a man who lost it all finds the one thing to keep him going in a woman)... but with the soundtrack of Almost Famous.

As I recall, in 1980, Ordinary People made in the neighborhood of 50 million dollars. That was a surprise. But as far as I know its success was fueled (and I know this statement will seem weird based on some of my past arguments about Etown) by its Academy nominations and wins. Look at Million Dollar Baby this year. It made $179 thousand its opening weekend (which, by the way, since I just looked it up, is oddly enough the EXACT AMOUNT that Ordinary People opened at... weird). Then... picture, director, actor, actress, supporting... and six months later the movie left with more than a hundred million dollars domestically. To say that far exceeded expectations would be a dramatic understatement. What happened to Million Dollar Baby is exactly what happened to Ordinary People twenty five years ago. It opened small and probably would have stayed there, but the Academy made it the movie to see.

Now, hate me if you must, but I don't believe this will happen with Elizabethtown. It would be impossible and unfair to say it won't get Oscar love... Jerry Maguire was nominated for best picture, but that was a strange year... and Almost Famous, which I just loved, was nominated for I believe writing, editing, and a few acting, but didn't get picture. In my opinion and my opinion only, if Almost Famous didn't get a picture nod, Etown won't. I think writing is almost a given, given that Cameron does what few writers can, which is expose human weakness and strength in the same quick blow and then watch what all that wonderful pain and hope will bring about. At the same time, Etown will make a helluva lot more than $179 thousand opening weekend... I think it's fair to say it could make as much money as Ordinary People, possibly even more, but I don't think its Oscar nominations, whatever they may be, will amp that number significantly.

But, getting all the way back to your question, I don't think it's possible to compare Ordinary People to Etown. They are two very different movies, and I doubt the marketing campaigns will be similar, especially because of the insane changes in the advertising and marketing fields since 1980. Look at old trailers, if you have them on DVD. Theatrical trailers were rarely creative, and actually made even the best movies seem slow and boring; at least now they do, anyway, to "us," the modern audience, by comparison. The ways that movies are marketed now, it's kinda like precise military strikes. Back then, yes all the way back to the year I was born, they just kinda said, Hey, here's a movie. See it. Don't. Whatever.

Again, all opinion. I think the Etown trailer will look a lot like Jerry Maguire, with a lot of music, and the running head "From the director of Jerry Maguire."
So, she watched the movie or what?!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:56 AM
sored2me

More to the point...who the devil is Jane_says.... and does her opinion count for anything? Honestly the movie's not even close to being out yet and the False Authority Syndrome is ramping up already.

Sorry, Red's a little tweeked on the gump-o-meter tonight.

Red...not that one the other one.

Last edited by sored2me; May 19th, 2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Human News Ticker

We have been discussing the reviews of the footage from that thread over here.

It seems like footage from the movie was shown rather than the whole film and i would be very wary of anything an 'insider' says at IMDB.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM
sored2me

Thanks for the link Interconnector.

With their track record, IMDB is a source I take with MANY grains of salt. Hence the cranky Red reply.

I'll check out your disscusion in the other thread.

Red...not that one the other one.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM
*Blue Eyes*

Did I hear that name before somewhere? that person was also negative about this movie or Kingdom of Heaven I believe...
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
I just saw it at a screening. let me just say that i think it was a really great movie. It wasn't really a summer "blockbuster" type movie, so it makes sense they arent releasing it during the summer. it is more of an oscar hopeful type movie though, so releasing it in October makes sense. Girls will love Orlando Bloom in it, he looks good in every shot. and Cameron Crowe's directing is beautiful. This is a movie that will be worth seeing when it comes out.
from imdb.com, posted by SHUTUPWARREN saying he watched an early screening...

I don't buy this one again.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Human News Ticker

More from shutupwarren

Quote:
just got back from a screening. he speaks with an American accent. When Orlando and Kirstin first meet it is in the plane, it is an aweseome scene. It was a very good movie. It was heartwarming, and funny too. and Cameron Crowe's use of music is spectacular. It'll definitly be a movie people will be talking about.
I'm hoping this is true but who really knows with IMDB.

I also found this at the Town Hall board.

Quote:
I just wanted to let you all know that I went to the very first audience screening of the entire film, Elizabethtown, which took place in Roseville, CA...

... and it was absolutely stunning. I am blown away to say the least. Incredible.
I don't think i'm going to be able to last till October.

Last edited by Interconnector; May 25th, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Human News Ticker

More from Town Hall and it gets even better.

Quote:
I really don't want to give away too much, because the movie is really something you have to experience on your own, but in a word... brilliant. absolutely brilliant.

I have never seen this kind of acting come out of Orlando Bloom, I was totally blown away. His range is amazing... he was hilarious, but had a great emotional depth and complexity. Kirsten Dunst is so charming and adorable... a GREAT character. Susan Sarandon is so amazing as the frantic mother/widow... she has a great speech at the memorial service! So funny! All of the characters are so well done.

The music is one of my favorite aspects though, lots of acoustic guitar that made the film flow beautifully... and the familiar songs used during Drew's road trip are a great touch that made it alot of fun. : )

You guys are going to love this movie, it's definitely in my favorites!

Congrats to Cameron Crowe on such an accomplishment, wow. I'm speechless. : )
Quote:
ha, well to be honest, I completely forgot that Orlando was to be American in this movie, so when he started speaking in an American accent, I was so surprised! He did a great job though... it was tough to accept at first, because I've never heard him as anything other than British (duh), but he pulled it off very well.

Last edited by Interconnector; May 25th, 2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM
On a Yellow Slide

*starts salivating* Thanks for posting those, Interconnector and ambayuun.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
princessalie

ker thud.

I have very little patience and this is KILLING me.

<~~~ chants must be patient. must be patient.

~Alie
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Only 141 more days.......I'm dying here........wishing away the whole summer......am I crazy, or something?
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Pumpkin Spice

Thanks for posting those! *salivating with Lyneth*

ETA more from IMDB:
Quote:
I didnt notice anything strange about Orlando's accent. It seemed normal to me. and as for the chemistry between orlando's character and kirsten's, i think it worked very well, the chemistry between them was right on to what the story was. (personally i'm not a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but her character in this movie is very fun to watch, and it is fun to watch her character interact with Orlando's character) their character's personalities are different in such a way that it is very interesting to watch them both interact. So that, added with the great script, and Cameron Crowes great directing, ends up with a great movie. but hey, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Pumpkin Spice; May 25th, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Passionate about the Elf

These were good to read, thanks... *salivating with Llyneth and PS* but at least I clean up

Mirk
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:38 PM
SherinaSue

My hubby has recently been won over and is actually looking forward to seeing this with me- He loved KOH, too.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:11 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkwoodelfchick
These were good to read, thanks... *salivating with Llyneth and PS* but at least I clean up

Mirk

bucket: $5
mop: $10
salivating with pumpkin and Mirk: priceless.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:18 AM
MzTachikawa

These awesome reviews are KILLING me....I'm going to be looking forward to this even more than I did KOH!!!
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Human News Ticker

Another from IMDB

From DevonMarie

Quote:
I haven't seen it, but a friend of mine did, and she raved about the movie. She also said that it would provide proof that Orlando Bloom can act, and act well. "He's good in this, really really good, and his chemestry with Kirsten Dunst is nothing short of fabulous." I don't know if that helps, but she described the movie as a whole as being incredibly funny and touching, and urged everyone to see it.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM
MzTachikawa

Thanks for that review Interconnector! Hopefully this movie will FINALLY show everyone he's more than just a pretty face and there will be less Orli-bashing going around and more appreciation!
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:37 AM
At First Sight

Squeeeeeh!! I got goosebumps reading all those short but enticing tidbits !! Thanks for the link,Interconnector
Bring on October !! At least I hope that's when it's showing in Oz
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Human News Ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniviel
At least I hope that's when it's showing in Oz
I've got some bad news for you, there doesn't seem to be a release date for Australia.
It was originally meant to be released Oct 27th but it's been moved and i haven't found a new date yet
Knowing our luck we'll be stuck waiting till 2006.

Little bit more from Town Hall.

Quote:
oh definitely... it is WELL worth the wait.

Honestly, my main curiousity for seeing it was Orlando Bloom. I'm definitely not a teenybopper, but being an Orlando fan, I think this is going to be a huge step for him. It will probably silence those who believe that he can't act.

But I'll admit, it was fun to see Orlando do a little dance.

Last edited by Interconnector; May 26th, 2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Bad news re:Aus cinemas, but I hope at least we get it on DVD

Good news- Orlando does a little dance... What sort, does it involve significant hip movement?
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Human News Ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Mists
Bad news re:Aus cinemas, but I hope at least we get it on DVD
We'll definately get it in the cinema it's just a matter of when, it could be in October or it could be 6 months after the rest of the world.
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:12 PM
In Valinor

Thanks for the fab reviews. Concerning the little dance Orlando does in the hallway, could we have had a peak at that way back in September of last year when cameroncrowe.com put up the "meet the crew" video?

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Human News Ticker

Or it could be this.
From Camerons journal

Quote:
Beaver Bridge is where all the pent-up emotions from the Lorraine start to hit me, and everybody else. We need to film Drew dancing alone here. When we get here, there are many tourists and locals waiting. This was a location that was widely published on the internet, and the “embarrassing dance” will actually be seen by many. Orlando worries a little bit about it, but only for a moment. He quickly puts the shrieks of nearby fans out of his mind, and I try out a piece of music. He’s going to do the dance in a hall of trees just by the bridge, and then afterwards we’ll move onto the bridge itself.

Something happens in that hall of trees. Call it the music, or just the growing internal life of Orlando as Drew, but in one take this young actor’s whole working life seems to take a leap. It’s one of those breathtaking moments you dream of in a movie – and I hope I’m not jinxing it by writing this – but watching it, a whole raft of feelings start to well up. I can feel my dad, my own family, all the intentions of the script, start to come together. And when the take is over, Orlando bounds back with a soul full of oxygen and excitement and pride. He knows it, too. It’s a truly great moment, and we move onto the bridge. More greatness follows. I can’t help it, some tears squirt out as I watch Orlando walk proudly back down the bridge. Looking around, I’m not the only one dabbing tears.
I probably didn't need to post that whole bit but i like what Cameron had to say so your all stuck with it
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
In Valinor

You know, that's probably more like it Interconnector. I'd forgotten about that bit. I do hope the movie will be well received critically. Now if only they'd do a test screening out my way.