Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalime
Thanks for that review. Interesting. I have faith that Orlando can pull this off, although I personally do prefer him in "period" roles.
BTW, I read somewhere that part of the filming will take place in Kentucky, which is very, very close to where I live!

ancalime
*brings out the smelling salts* Are you going to try and get a glimpse of Orlando?

Angel
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Threthiel

You know I might just have to take a trip to visit my family up in Kentucky when filiming starts. At least then I have a place to stay while I am there and an excuse.

It sounds like a good movie, I hope it does well for him. The part about the phone and saying I will let you go and then talk about something else, I did that all the time when my ex was in California with the Marine Corp. That sounded just so sweet.
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Ancalime

Angel, I told a friend of mine in Ohio, who is another Orlando admirer, about the filming in Kentucky and she mentioned our going down to see if we can see him! I've thought about it! Don't know when, where, how, etc., though.

ancalime
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Angel, I told a friend of mine in Ohio, who is another Orlando admirer, about the filming in Kentucky and she mentioned our going down to see if we can see him! I've thought about it! Don't know when, where, how, etc., though.

ancalime
I'm sure you'll think of something. Where there is a will there is a way. All we ask is, if you do, we want pics if possible and a full report

Angel
Old March 9th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Threthiel

Does anyone know where exactly the filming will be in Kentucky?
Old March 10th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Ancalime

Threthiel, don't know yet, sweetie. I wish I did. The film is about Elizabethtown, Kentucky but that doesn't necessarily mean that is where it will be filmed.

Angel, you'd best believe that if something works out, you all WILL get a full report, and pics, if I can manage it! :)

ancalime
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Threthiel

If they film any of it in Elizabethtown or near there, I will be there too. My grandma, aunt, cousins all live in Corbin, KY, which looks to be about 2-3 hours from there.

ancalime, If they do film near there we just might need to get together so we can hold eachother up as we swoon!
Old March 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Malene

Hmm,I don't think anyone should start overanalyzing a script that they haven't even started to film,yet.Let alone the characters. The actors and the director make the characters. Not the script...
It's really too early to form opinions about this film.
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Ancalime

Oh my gosh, Red, my late husband and I always used to stop in Corbin for lunch on our way to Tennessee for the past several years! And yeah, if things work out and we somehow figure out where Orlando is filming, you and I may need to get together to hold each other up!

ancalime
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Eowirethien

Oh wow on the verge ov suicide thats not very often covered and it may help me out a bit (been there done that, got the scars to prove it...)
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Eowirethien

oh wow poor guy!!!
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:54 AM
luv4ever

such a big thread about his accent. well i just read an article and people say that its "Oscar stuff". maybe he'll win one or the movie will. ya never know.
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Once bitten, twice shy

Well, I won't say I'm nervous about this movie, don't want to get trouted by Malene, but I'm not a real big fan of the twenty-something romantic comedies. We all know that Orlando is fab in a dramatic or action setting. But this is uncharted territory. Well, guess we'll just have to see. At the very least, there will be plenty of eye candy!
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Eowirethien

im glad hes doing summat different to action ya no??
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Fanfic Junkie

from TNMC.org - note that this was written before Orlando was cast

Quote:

Elisabethtown Script Review

For those who don't remember, I am a huge fan of Cameron Crowe. He's my hero. His body of work has a special place in my heart. I've probably seen Jerry Maguire forty times. That movie has the one of the greatest screenplays ever produced. It's the finest balance between comedy and drama ever written. After a 4 year wait, I had the privilege of reading the script for Almost Famous a year before the movie came out. I loved it but the finished product was EVEN better and it was my favorite film of 2000. For the past three years, I have been hunting for tid-bits and details about his next project. We all know the details. An ensemble comedy. The strange name of Elisabethtown. Followed by the casting of Ashton Kutcher and Kirsten Dunst. Finally, the screenplay arrived at my house. It took me 90 minutes to read it...

Drew Baylor (Ashton Kutcher) works for a huge shoe corporation in Oregon. His invention tanks badly losing the company 972 million dollars. Phil, the billionaire owner, fires him for his mistake. His girlfriend Ellen who works with him dumps him. He goes back to his apartment and he's about to commit suicide when he gets the call. His father Mitch has passed away. His mother Hollie and sister Heather send him to Elisabethtown, Kentucky. His mission is simple: have Mitch's family respect his final wishes. On his trip there, he meets Claire Colburn (Kirsten Dunst), a flight attendant. The clash of cultures with his southern heritage complicates his journey. He finally comes to terms with his late father and his own roots with the help of Claire.

Amazing. It's a southern romantic comedy with very strong dramatic moments. It definitely is one of the most unique scripts I have read in a while. It doesn't have any flaws. There's some fat that could be cut here and there. But nothing dramatic. Every Cameron Crowe film has fantastic sequences. This film has two of them: a lengthy phone conversation between Drew and Claire and Hollie's funeral speech. Those are CLASSIC Crowe moments. But wait, it could get better. In Almost Famous, the 'I am a Golden God/Tiny Dancer' sequence is the highlight of the film. In the screenplay, it wasn't written that clearly. The whole 'Tiny Dancer' scene was only a paragraph long in the script. It didn't strike me at all. Elisabethtown doesn't have any music directions. Cameron's film score has always been an intricate part of the story. His musical touch could change an entire scene. So the final product will definitely be improved from what I've read.

Ashton Kutcher in a Cameron Crowe film. I cringe every time I hear that. How can Kelso or the guy from Dude, Where's My Car? play the lead in a great project like this? My only answer to that question is: Did anyone think Tom Cruise could pull off a role like Jerry Maguire before that film? If Cameron can work that magic again with Ashton, then we may have a brand new Ashton. Or else, Cameron will end up being Punk'd.

I absolutely love Kirsten Dunst. She's been a favorite of mine for a long time. Her role has a fun little idiosyncrasy. She likes to take imaginary snapshots. Claire has an opinion of people based on their first names. It's easy to imagine Kirsten in that part. She will be perfect. Claire is written better then Penny Lane. It's one of Cameron's best female characters ever.

Probably one of the most fascinating roles in this project is Drew's mom Hollie. Jane Fonda came close to coming out of acting retirement to play her but eventually dropped out. It's a real background supporting part for the first two acts. But when she finally arrives in Elisabethtown, she starts stealing the show. It culminates with a show stopping speech in the third act. It could be a great role for Diane Keaton or Meryl Streep (who was originally cast in Almost Famous).

Elisabethtown features three themes that Cameron Crowe uses in his films:

1. Airport and airplanes.
Jerry Maguire has a fabulous scene where Jerry tells a fellow traveller how he met his fiancιe. We also see him in various airports and airplanes. Almost Famous has the confessional scene where every character reveals something when they think their plane will crash. Also, Anita Miller was a stewardess. In Elisabethtown, Claire is also a flight attendant and their first meeting takes place in a plane. It's a brilliant little encounter.

2. A single parent.
We all remember Dorothy Boyd (Renee Zellwegger) and her son in Jerry Maguire. Elaine Miller, delightfully played by Frances McDormand in Almost Famous, was also a single parent. It's no secret that Cameron's mom Alice Marie Crowe was the origin for that character. Coming from that type of family unit, it's reasonable to see why Cameron incorporates that in his work. This time it's Drew's cousin Jessie Baylor and his mischievous 4 year-old son Samson. He's referred to as 'the loudest kid in the world'.

3. Phone Conversation.
I think everyone remembers 'Show Me The Money'. While the phone discussions between William and Lester Bangs (Philip Seymour Hoffman) were probably some of the best scenes in Almost Famous. In Elisabethtown, there's an 18 page long phone conversation. Twenty minutes or so of screentime for a very witty and adorable chat between Drew and Claire.

If Jerry Maguire is one end of Cameron Crowe's work and Almost Famous is the other, then Elisabethtown would be the middle where they meet perfectly.
sounds promising, doesn't it???

sig & avatar by the lovely and talented elements

Dean: Come on man, I've been itching for a hunt
Gordon: Sorry. But hey, I hear there's a chupacabra two states over; go ahead and knock yourselves out.
SPN Ep 2x3
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:10 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

From MTV.com News, (thanks to OBM):

Quote:
After blowing audience's minds with 2001's "Vanilla Sky," writer and director Cameron Crowe is planning to warm their hearts as he did with earlier films like Say Anything ...

Next year, Crowe will return with "Elizabethtown," a romantic comedy that will star Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst. Shooting will begin this summer and the film should be in theaters in the summer of 2005.

"It's about a guy who, on the eve of an incredible fiasco and failure, decides to kill himself," Crowe said. "[But instead,] he takes a trip back to his old hometown in Kentucky and gets broadsided by life. And laughter ensues."

During the film, the misfortune-plagued man, Drew Baylor (played by Bloom), meets a flight attendant named Claire Colburn (Dunst) while trying to fulfill the last wishes of his deceased father. The two fall in love and Baylor discovers a new reason for living.

The score for "Elizabethtown" is being written by Crowe's wife, Nancy Wilson of the band Heart. Wilson wrote the songs for the fictional band Stillwater in Crowe's 2000 movie, "Almost Famous."

"She'll do all the incidental stuff [for 'Elizabethtown']," Crowe said. "She's really the full-time musician in the family. We wrote some music together for Stillwater, but this one's all her. For the soundtrack, we'll have a lot of great records, which we'll surprise you with down the line."

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM
In Valinor

Heart?! I LOVE Heart! Thanks for posting that, Serein.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:15 PM
OrlandosRiverRat

I have decided I'm dying for this (and Haven) to be in theaters already. After seeing the trailer for The Calcium Kid, I am very anxious to see Orlando in a modern film, not to mention something that is about as far from drama as possible! So I can't wait for this film, even if I'm not feeling the pairing of him and Kirsten. Hopefully they'll come across on-screen, though :)
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:51 PM
British Boy Lovin' Goon

Who knows? Maybe him and Kirsten will actually surprise us. Some couples often do. I didn't have a magical feeling about Orlando and Diane Kruger when I first saw the pic of them together but now looking at pics of them making out, acting in love, etc, they have great chemistry.

We'll just have to see how it goes. As it will be Orlando's first modern role that people will actually see - not counting Calcium Kid, that one is an independent so it wont be as much of a large demographic - I hope it will appeal to people and they wont label him just as an Errol Flynn type guy.

Oh, what else, Kirsten Dunst was on Leno. She didn't mention Elizabethtown though. Heath Ledger is going to be on Leno tonight for Ned Kelly! So watch!
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leowen
Well, I won't say I'm nervous about this movie, don't want to get trouted by Malene, but I'm not a real big fan of the twenty-something romantic comedies. We all know that Orlando is fab in a dramatic or action setting. But this is uncharted territory. Well, guess we'll just have to see. At the very least, there will be plenty of eye candy!
Leo,if you don't speak your mind in fear of being trouted by me,I shall certainly trout you!!
I have no power here.
I just speak my mind in a not so polite way sometimes.

But I do think that the worries about Kirsten Dunst are a bit uncalled for.
She's a high quality actress,IMO.
Wasn't she Oscar nominated already at the age of 11 for the vampire movie with Tom cruise and Brad Pitt? I think she was.
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:57 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

A bit of news regarding filming schedule and location of Elizabethtown from cameroncroweonline,
thanks to Dana and OBF.

Quote:
It looks like E-town will start shooting this July. Still no final word on locations, but I've heard that they will include Elizabethtown (KY), Los Angeles and Oregon. Some second unit footage may have already begun. A 2005 release is most likely.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Threthiel

July? Works well with my schedule. Please let them be there then in Elizabethtown. I usually travel up there around that time of year anyway.
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Eowirethien

ok yeah i so wanna see every thing hes in but cant!!!
The whole age thing been young sucks
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Ancalime

It makes me kinda sick to think of some of the filming taking place in Elizabethtown, KY and me just sitting at home, being so close and wishing I had a way to get there?? ](*,)

ancalime
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Threthiel

Quote:
It makes me kinda sick to think of some of the filming taking place in Elizabethtown, KY and me just sitting at home, being so close and wishing I had a way to get there?? ](*,)

ancalime
Well, if you need a ride and I get to go up there this summer, I would be more then happy to come get you. I might have to rent a van or something, cause my car is quite small.