Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Elizabethtown

Old February 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
10th Doctor's Companion

Elizabethtown film news, discussion

It's official! Orlando signed up to do Elizabethtown. Here's some info thanks to OBF

Elizabethtown
2005 Feature Length Film
Studio: DreamWorks/Paramount
Production Company: Vinyl Films, C/W Productions

Cast and Crew
Orlando Bloom (Drew Baylor)
Kirsten Dunst (Claire Colburn)
(Hollie Baylor, Drew's mother)
(Heather Baylor, Drew's sister)
(Jessi Baylor, Drew's cousin)

Director: Cameron Crowe
Screenwriter: Cameron Crowe
Producers: Tom Cruise, Paula Wagner, Cameron Crowe

Summary
After causing the Oregon shoe company he works for to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, Drew Baylor (Bloom) is fired for his mistake, and promptly also dumped by his girlfriend, Ellen. On the verge of suicide, Drew is oddly given a new purpose in life when he is brought back to his family's small Kentucky hometown of Elizabethtown following the death of his father, Mitch, as it falls to him to make sure that his dying wishes are fulfilled. On the way home, Drew meets a flight attendant, Claire Colburn (Dunst), with whom he falls in love, in a romance that helps his life get back on track...

The project is intended to be a love letter to the resilience of the life force and is a story of an unexpected romance that develops against the backdrop of a Southern patriarch's hilariously elaborate memorial.

Filming Dates and Locations
Filming is scheduled to start in summer of 2004 in Oregon and Kentucky.

Release Dates (subject to change)

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #2
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:49 PM
In Valinor

Thanks for posting that Serein. I never did have time to even read about "Elizabethtown" before.

I wonder what Orlando's character does to cause the fiscal loss?
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Alynn

I don't know if it's just me, but I really can't see Orlando and Kirsten Dunst pairing up...just kind of a weird match to me.
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:19 PM
In Valinor

She seems awfully young, doesn't she. And I STILL picture her as Claudia from "Interview with the Vampire".
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:19 PM
OrlandosRiverRat

He's working in Oregon but is FROM Kentucky. Lord help me....does this mean he'll be doing the entire movie with a Southern Accent?!? An American accent is a given, and I found his to be...uh, cute...in BHD but if he has to have a Southern accent, I'm hoping someone works with him just a bit to improve on the Blackburn.

With Mandy on the "not thrilled about pairing with Kirsten," but I'm TRYING to reserve judgement as some pairings often surprise you (look how lackluster Clooney and Zeta-Jones were ).

I've said too much
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandosRiverRat
He's working in Oregon but is FROM Kentucky. Lord help me....does this mean he'll be doing the entire movie with a Southern Accent?!? An American accent is a given, and I found his to be...uh, cute...in BHD but if he has to have a Southern accent, I'm hoping someone works with him just a bit to improve on the Blackburn.
Didn't just about everybody in BHD have a sounthern accent? The language coach on THAT movie needed help. Orlando's accent wasn't the greatest but I think it was a tad better than Ewan McGregor. I even thought this BEFORE knowing who Orlando was when I saw the movie.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kirsten Dunst yet. She seemed alright in Spiderman but I also can't get the vision of Claudia out of my head.

We REALLY need more smilies. Note to self: Make EL get them.

Old February 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Alynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein
LOL....Now we know who wears the pants in THIS relationship. heehee!
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:50 PM
OrlandosRiverRat

Quote:
Didn't just about everybody in BHD have a sounthern accent? The language coach on THAT movie needed help. Orlando's accent wasn't the greatest but I think it was a tad better than Ewan McGregor. I even thought this BEFORE knowing who Orlando was when I saw the movie.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kirsten Dunst yet. She seemed alright in Spiderman but I also can't get the vision of Claudia out of my head.

I put in a vote for a *HUG* smiley!! Every board I frequent HAS to have one of those 'cause I use it all the time

As far as BHD and the Southern accents, you have a good point, Serein. Although I think Jason Isaacs completely knocked it out of the park with his accent....maybe he worked with a different coach I still don't know what that man is (British, Southern, what...he's too good!). I just hope if Orlando has to have one in this movie, it's improved upon from BHD, although he did ok :)

I'm also kind of freakin' out about him being in a "regular" movie. I know Haven is set in modern day too, but that's an "indie" flick. This is kind of major, isn't it?
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Niamh

^ Yes, this is a Hollywood film with an established American director. I personally think Kirstin is an excellent actress and will work well with Orlando. I need to check out Virgin Suicides, directed by Sofia Coppola. She was wonderful in the Cat's Meow with Eddie Izzard and Edward Hermann.
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:40 AM
10th Doctor's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandosRiverRat
As far as BHD and the Southern accents, you have a good point, Serein. Although I think Jason Isaacs completely knocked it out of the park with his accent....maybe he worked with a different coach I still don't know what that man is (British, Southern, what...he's too good!). I just hope if Orlando has to have one in this movie, it's improved upon from BHD, although he did ok :)

I'm also kind of freakin' out about him being in a "regular" movie. I know Haven is set in modern day too, but that's an "indie" flick. This is kind of major, isn't it?
Jason Isaacs is a British actor and his accent WAS superb. I'd forgotten. There were quite a few people in BHD, including Eric Bana. I couldnt' believe he was Australian! Let's hope Orlando's speech coach on this film will do him justice.

I'm a little freaked out that this is contemporary as well. I was getting so used to Orlando being in period costume. He looks like he really belongs. This is his chance to show some range. I'm nervous for him, just like I was when I heard about PotC.

I don't have any complaints about Kirsten Dunst as an actress actually. At least she seems to have had some decent roles under her belt. I'll have to check her out in Cat's Meow then. Thanks for the recommendation, Niahm.

Old February 14th, 2004, 03:47 PM
In Valinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alynn
Quote:
LOL....Now we know who wears the pants in THIS relationship. heehee!
So did y'll notice that I ran out and got more smilies? <maybe too many >
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:50 PM
shaynalisa

I'm looking forward to this movie solely based upon the fact that it's a comedy, and I'm dying to see Orlando in a comedy. In POTC and Ned Kelly he has a few funny moments, so I know he has comedic timing and the ability to make us laugh.

I, too, am having a hard time with the Kirsten Dunst pairing, but we shall see.

I'm sure there will be a dialect coach to work with him for his southern accent. He did a good job with the Irish accent in Ned Kelly, so I'm hopeful. I haven't seen BHD, but I've heard he didn't do such a great job with the American accent. However, he's a bigger star now, and he'll be carrying this movie so I'm sure Cameron Crowe will not allow his star to sound ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

Lisa
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:39 AM
dream wanderer

People cannot agree about accents! Everywhere I go on the internet there are these back and forth discussions..."Orlando's Irish accent in Ned Kelly was great..no it was terrible...the non-American actors in BlackHawk down were great..no they were terrible! Back and forth back and forth...there is little concenus.

Jason Issac's character in BHD was from the south so when they did their basic training in Georgia he went around deliberately talking to people, striking up small talk with the locals and took a tape recorder along to record conversations.

Ewan did ok but it sounded like he was working too hard at it to me..

Eric Bana did an exaggerated southern accent. That covers a multitude of sins... :o

Orlando did ok except for a few slip ups..but they ALL had slip ups.

But the good news is the American southern accent is apparently the easiest American accent for Brits to do so it should work out ok...and he may not even need one. From what I can tell the character has been away from Kentucky for a while and some people's accents change when they move from region to region. My brother had a moutain North Carolina accent but after living for a few years in VA he lost that.

dream wanderer
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Seuvilen

I'm so excited that's Orlando's doing something contemporary! I love him in period films, but it's gonna be great to see him doing something different.

It's a comedy? I hadn't heard that. That's even better. :)

Can't comment on accents, I'm terrible at them. It has to be pretty bad for me to notice it may not be as good as it could be.
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:38 PM
shippermd

Oh WOW Kirsten Dunst and Orlando? Hmmm. Could work. Kirsten's not as young as Kiera is! (Kirsten Dunst was born in 1982, making her about 22 or 23?Kiera Knightley's only about 20 I think.)

I always think of Kirsten as Claudia in IWTV also. She rocked in that film, as did Brad,Tom and Antonio! (MAN-CANDY, that film!)

That will an interesting pair to see though.

Shipper
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Elements

On the subject of accents in BHD... I always thought that Hugh Dancy did a good accent, but then what do I know, being a Brit

As far as Elizabethtown is concern, I am really looking forward to seeing this. I think it will be a really good show case for Orlando's talent. A comedy but with a dark tone, it should be great.
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:57 PM
She Kender

When I heard about who was cast opposite him I was pleasantly surprised. I love Kirsten. She owned the character Claudia and couldn't have been better. I thought she was alright in Spiderman but then again I guess I wasn't in the right mood for that movie. I never understood the hoopla for it. A good movie was The Virgin Suicides. She played a complicated character there.

I never thought these two would ever appear together onscreen let alone as paired as love interests. I'm looking forward to seeing if they have any chemistry. I think they will have it.
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Malene

Quote:
I'm nervous for him, just like I was when I heard about PotC.
Why? Why is that? Why are some people nervous about his career choices or other peoples opinions about his acting skills
or whatever?
I've never been nervous about a thing when it comes to this mans abilities and talents.
I'm a believer!

Kirsten Dunst,I LIKE her! So glad she's the one he's up against. She's quality.And she's smart. She's only made good career choices so far.

And Cameron Crowe is a bigshot.
Can't really see much going wrong.
Isn't even Jane Fonda supposed to make a reappearence in this film?

Yup! I'm excited!!
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Elerrína

Kirsten Dunst was good in A Cat's Meow. The only problem I had with the movie was the unsatisfactory ending... but at least it wasn't a teen movie. I also liked her in Mona Lisa Smile.

Keira is 18. Unless she's had her birthday, which would make her 19. Obviously. I can't remember... I think it's March. It's somewhere on the Pirates special disc.

I'm excited about this movie. Especially the 'Oregon' aspect of it.
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:48 AM
LegolasIsMyOneRing

Quote:
Oh WOW Kirsten Dunst and Orlando? Hmmm. Could work. Kirsten's not as young as Kiera is! (Kirsten Dunst was born in 1982, making her about 22 or 23?Kiera Knightley's only about 20 I think.)

I always think of Kirsten as Claudia in IWTV also. She rocked in that film, as did Brad,Tom and Antonio! (MAN-CANDY, that film!)

That will an interesting pair to see though
hey i don't know maybe orli likes women younger then he is! LOL! b/c kate is a young one too i like she is on 21 one or 22 but any way i love KD and i can't wait to see this moive! and i agree i love IWTV its one of my fav movie and all of my hottie are in it tom , brad , Tonio but KD did rock in that movie!

but as for Elizabeth town i am excited b/c i live six hours form there soo i am going Orli stalking! LOL! i just hope the have out the excats dtes of fliming so i can plan accordly to go stalking lol!
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:53 PM
10th Doctor's Companion

Elizabethtown Screenplay Reviews (Spoilers) Updated 1/10/05

Fillmrjerk.com has a review of the screenplay.:

Quote:
inSCRIPTions Screenplay Review: "Elizabethtown"
Written 03-06-2004 by DarwinMayflower

This script is dated March of 2003. The film will be released sometime in 2005.

Cameron Crowe’s “Elizabethtown” finds him returning to form after the mind-bending “Vanilla Sky.” Crowe is fast becoming the rare big-name director whose main purpose is to give you characters that you long for when the curtain falls. Those smart, deep, complicated, human characters that are both somehow intimately real and too good to be true. Despite moments that will light you fiercely from within, “Elizabethtown” finds Crowe trolling in weirdly well-trod territory.

Drew Baylor is having a career crisis most of us could not even have a nightmare about: at only twenty-seven years old he is seeing his life’s work go down in flames. The sneakers he designed for the megacompany he’s employed by, which he’s worked on for eight years, have been recalled, and this disaster will cost the business one billion dollars. The weight of the failure will be Drew’s boulder to pull (he alone is taking the hit for the company), and when he leaves work that day, fired and ruined, even his in-office girlfriend dumping him, he has only one thought: suicide. The thought is a freeing one. After ridding himself of his possessions (TV, DVD player, etc.), he rigs his long-dormant stationary bike with a Ginzu knife: technological hari-kari.

A phone call stops the deed, and the news gets even worse: his father, who was visiting relatives in Kentucky, is dead. Since his mother doesn’t like the people there and his sister has a kid, it is Drew’s job to go there and get his father’s remains. He meets a flight attendant on his way over, an attractive woman named Claire, and her insistent good nature and bonhomie cut through his depression enough for her to glimpse inside him, and make her fall just a little bit in love. They soon separate and he’s in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, and he wakes up to a new reality: an alien landscape that he doesn’t recognize, though his genes are in abundant supply: this is a world his father existed in that he knows nothing about.

Drew gets caught up in their chaos, soon retouches with Claire, and swims upstream against the tide of issues: whether to cremate his father like his mother wants or to bury him in his family plot like his friends want; figure out who his father really was, in the eyes of these people he does not know; navigate the loud, unfamiliar-to-him surroundings, fall into their zeal, without going insane; and connecting with Claire, who’s elusive yet chronically revealing.

Buried in Crowe’s overstuffed-though-underwhelming script is a great, touching, affable, funny, emotionally satisfying romance. But around that, like mold, you’ll find a lot of extraneous material that simply takes you nowhere.

I think what Crowe is saying with this script is that our current big-city, corporate society and workforce is distancing us more and more each day, and that in life you really need to stop worrying, you really need to take risks if you want to find happiness, and you better embrace the vicissitudes and lack of order that comes with our existence. These aren’t exactly new or exciting ideas. And Drew’s stay in Kentucky feels like Crowe’s journal entries (he has family there) -- the observations about food and culture, which he appears to find fascinating, never really rise above their seemingly autobiographical trappings. The significance of it all remains unreachable for us because we do not have Crowe’s familial bonds. The characters in Kentucky aren’t cliché, exactly, but only because they’re not really deep enough for that. Drew’s cousin Jessie has a kid he can’t keep a handle on, and it’s clear that Jessie is a kid with a kid. And even though that’s of puddle-depth, psychologically speaking, I think Jessie is probably the Elizabethtown resident you get to know the best. Drew’s father had a lot of friends and family, and while Crowe adores showing us how they live there, he’s not very interested in letting us know who they are. He loves them too much to turn them into backward buffoons. But even that, at least, would have shown some sign of a pulse. And where, exactly, among all this gazing-into-the-past, elegiac eulogizing, is the exploration of how Drew felt about his father?

Crowe writes Drew’s mom, Hollie, as the most high-strung woman on the face of the planet. She fences with her grief by embracing things she always wanted to do but didn’t. Cooking, dancing, comedy, etc. Hollie’s character is so over the top and hysteria-shaken that I couldn’t help but think of Jessica Walter in “Arrested Development.” She shows back up in Elizabethtown to confront the people who accused her of stealing Drew’s father away from them. She gets onstage and does a comedy act. Its meaning seems to be “live life day by day and have fun.” Crowe has as much contempt for these city characters as he has reverence for the country people. He wouldn’t satirize them, but he does just that to the mother and sister -- satirizes them right into cartoonishness.

Cut away all that fat, and you have an amazing connection between Drew and Claire. This muted, glorious replication of reality, where you feel that enchanting magnetic pull between two people. There’s a scene, one of the best I’ve ever read, where they’re talking on the phone all night (after seeing a wedding party Drew feels utterly lonely and calls her out of desperation) about every conceivable topic and they keep saying “Well, I’ll let you go,” and then something new comes up and they can’t stop and they’re doing laundry while they talk and clandestinely going to the bathroom and wandering around, the phone pressed to their ears so long they start to hurt. And the whole experience is bright surprises. You fall into this comfortable embrace. You found someone, you’re shocked to realize, that thinks just like you. Has the same sense of humor. And this person is really a stranger. But you can’t stop yourself from disclosing everything there is about you. Crowe handles this scene like a poet. I felt like he plucked it straight out of my memories. It’s something we’ve all experienced -- not just the phone call and not just the conversation, but that click of something that feels right -- and that’s what Crowe does so well: he gives us that starry, cute, Hollywood romance stuff, but in a way that is so true and honest, so attuned to his characters and to the small details of reality, that we’re instantly involved in something that feels intimate and genuine.

Crowe made me fall in love with Drew and Claire (not necessarily individually, but together), but even they don’t fully escape some dents. Claire is clearly Penny Lane (Kate Hudson’s character from “Almost Famous”) all over again. That spunky spirit whose unending optimism can tunnel through anything. The relationship between Drew and Claire is essentially the same one between William and Penny in “Almost Famous,” only this time it’s the girl who wants the boy. And once again we find a free-spirited girl unlocking the soul of a careful, plan-carrying male (which seems to be the grid for every romantic comedy these days). In the end, though you want them to be together and they’ve charmed you, you can’t help feeling that Drew and Claire are really Crowe remaking “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” The complexity of their relationship is really no deeper than that.

“Elizabethtown” is a script about a guy whose life is shattered and who leaves the hermetic box of his life to see that there is more to the world than he knew. Along the way he meets a woman who changes his life forever. And while it’s all hokey and Hollywood-happy-ending sappy, it has the warmth and familiarity of a hug. Which makes Drew’s time in Kentucky all the more tragically meaningless. Crowe wanted to tell the tale of a handful of interesting people. He didn’t quite get there. Drew and Claire make your inner cynic wither and die, but around them you’ll find what feels like bad studio comedy fare: unfunny jokes and gags that give the script an overburdened, messy feel.

Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom have been cast in the leads. If Crowe is able to slim this thing down, and make it less about Kentucky culture and more about humans sparking, maybe, as with “Say Anything” (which this resembles in small ways), he’ll have something that will make moviegoers remember his characters not just on the drive home from the film, but for the rest of their lives. Maybe.

Old March 7th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Whooo, thank you for this Serein! It sounds like a wonderful story! I can just see Orlando being able to pull off the crushed and on the edge of suicide Drew! I'm really looking forward to this movie!

Angel
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Elements

The reviewer brings up the exact thing I was worried about when I first heard about this film - that it is going to be formulaic Hollywood romantic fluff with rather over the top comic relief and lots of sap. I am sure that there is a lot in there that is good, and certainly he seems to think that the two main characters will draw you in so much that you don't care about the rest of it, but it could still be less than spectacular.

It will be interesting to see Orlando doing the modern day film, but somehow this has too much of a Hollywood feel to it, at least to my eyes. I would have prefered him to play a less obvious character in a less obvious story. Having said that I am sure that I will love the film as I have with other fluffy things like this. The Wedding Singer springs to mind. Not the greatest film ever, but enjoyable all the same.

Somehow I kind of wish that Ashton Kutcher hadn't have 'pulled out' or whatever he did, and Orlando would be doing something less mainstream. Yes Crowe is a very good director, but this is a film - as far as I can tell from this review - that we have all seen several times before. Hopefully the characterisation of the two leads, and their story can outweigh all the fluff around the edges and make this something to stand out from the crowd.
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements

Somehow I kind of wish that Ashton Kutcher hadn't have 'pulled out' or whatever he did, and Orlando would be doing something less mainstream. Yes Crowe is a very good director, but this is a film - as far as I can tell from this review - that we have all seen several times before. Hopefully the characterisation of the two leads, and their story can outweigh all the fluff around the edges and make this something to stand out from the crowd.
I understand your concerns, Ele! I think we have to have faith in Orlando and just how he will portray Drew. And key is to sometimes just accept the fluff. Sadly, Orlando will not always get into a role that will be fantastic. And we could be totally surprised by how it turns out, these types of movies can sometimes surprise, and I have faith in Orlando that he will make the character of Drew come out of the fluff and make his character stand out from the crowd.

And yes, we have to accept that there will be a risk that Orlando will finally choose to do a movie that bombs. So far he has been fortunate in the movies that he has been in have been box office successes. But no matter whether he succeeds or fails, we will love and continue to support him and go and see his movies, because we love him :)

And I do look forward to this movie, because I want to be able to see him in something other than a period movie, with costumes and effects. I guess we will get some kind of idea of what he will be like, when Calcium Kids comes out.

Angel
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Ancalime

Thanks for that review. Interesting. I have faith that Orlando can pull this off, although I personally do prefer him in "period" roles.
BTW, I read somewhere that part of the filming will take place in Kentucky, which is very, very close to where I live!

ancalime