Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Movies/TV/Stage -various smaller roles and projects > New York, I Love You

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Human News Ticker

New York, I Love You

Looks like it's official that he's in this!

Variety

Quote:
Bloom, Hawke, Thirlby 'Love' N.Y.
Johansson, Portman to make helming debuts

An eclectic group of thesps and helmers are fanning out across Gotham's five boroughs to shoot "New York, I Love You."

Orlando Bloom, Olivia Thirlby, Hayden Christensen and Ethan Hawke are among those who have boarded the omnibus pic, a mixture of contemplative romance and unabashed civic boosterism. The anthology of shorts follows the format of "Paris, je t'aime," a surprise specialty hit released last year.

A few names had been rumored online since the project was first announced last spring (Woody Allen has nothing to do with it, contrary to reports). Paparazzi have swooped down on the production, currently midway through a planned 10-week shoot, and blogs started to teem with photos, especially when Scarlett Johansson started lining up shots.

Johansson, like fellow thesp Natalie Portman, is making her helming debut on the project. Portman also stars in a separate short.

Directors include Mira Nair, Brett Ratner and Alan Hughes, plus international helmers such as Fatih Akin, Andrey Zvyagintsev and Wen Jiang. The pic's producers include Marina Grasic, exec producer of "Crash"; Marianne Maddalena, of the "Scream" pics; and Jan Korbelin, exec producer of Lionsgate's "The Lucky Ones."

Domestic rights are still being negotiated, and Bill Bloch's QED is selling international.

Using a similar approach, "Paris je t'aime" quietly racked up nearly $5 million at the domestic B.O., quite a feat for a French-language title. First Look distribbed in the U.S.

"Paris je t'aime" kicked off producer Emmanuel Benhiby's planned global series that could see numerous locales get the "I love you" treatment, with Shanghai and Africa on the drawing board. The timing is right, the filmmakers add.

"This is a way for directors to play with a format that isn't 90 minutes," Korbelin said.

"With films like 'Crash' and 'Babel,' the approach to narrative has changed," Grasic said. "People are getting more sophisticated about watching content in shorter forms."

In one business respect, "New York" stands out amid the current tide of pics such as "Sex and the City" and "Enchanted" that have spotlighted Gotham locations. NYC & Co., the official marketing and tourism organization for the City of New York, is fully behind the pic, throwing its weight into sponsorship deals.

A major airline is in final talks to help ferry talent to and from the city and promote the film on its aircraft, for example. Such co-branding deals go well beyond the typical offer of a few bus shelter ads and minor marketing considerations.

"Given that this film is a valentine to the city, the city feels extra responsibility," said one person involved in dealmaking.

So what's to separate the movie from simple testimonial tourism promos that would run in a taxicab or on a billboard? The filmmakers say that the explicit auteur approach, as well as interstitial material that weaves together the shorts into a planned 100-minute whole, will steer clear of overt shilling.

Still, "This is a natural for New York," Grasic said. "It's definitely going to be cross-promotional."

In the end, they say, New York will be a character, as it has been in films since the silent era, with a special nod to the diversity of 21st century Gotham.

"There are a lot of culture clashes and love stories involving people of different races," noted Grasic.

Other confirmed thesps include Carlos Acosta, Kevin Bacon, Justin Bartha, Rachel Bilson, James Caan, Bradley Cooper, Chris Cooper, Drea de Matteo, Irrfan Khan, Cloris Leachman, Blake Lively, Emilie Ohana, Maggie Q, Shu Qi, Eli Wallach, Saul Williams, Robin Wright-Penn, Anton Yelchin and Ugur Yucel.
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Im just excited he's in something although I never saw Paris Je T'aime, but Ive heard nothing but good things! Can't wait for more on this
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Imagination Rules!

WEll, there's a turn up - will wait eagerly to hear more. Yeah, another movie.! Thanks for the heads up Interconnector - on the spot with breaking news yet again. How do you do it?!! (I don't care, just keep doing it!! Thanksxxx)

cheers
Luna
x

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Great news! Thanks Interconnector!

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:21 AM
arwen_undomiel

Thanks for the news. That movie seems very interesting and I really hope he does it and won't resign like in the An Education case.
There are lots of talented actors who joined the project!
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thanks for that, Interconnector.

I quite liked 'Paris je t'aime' so am really looking forward to this, interesting cast too!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Kate_Sienna_Inw

WOW What a cast!!! This has got to be good! Great news!
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM
In love with my Romeo...

I really hope it's true!
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
mcamp81

I really loved Paris Je T'aime and I am looking forward to seeing this...regardless of who is in it.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
nahla

Sounds interesting, and...I don't know why but I have the feeling this will be true- though I hope The Red Cirlcle project STILL be on!
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Passionately Enthralled

I really love to see Orlando in a new film....I'm just a little sad because this movie is an episode movie, and I think it will be a small role for Orlando....
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
nahla

Yeh, like Love and other dissasters...well actually I guess it will be a bit longer
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Deborah

Great News! Thanks for posting this.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Clarice

Here in Italy we used to say Taking care more about the substance rather than quantity
I don't mind if it's a small role until he's involved in good movie like this
Bang up Orlando!
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
arwen_undomiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
Here in Italy we used to say Taking care more about the substance rather than quantity
I don't mind if it's a small role until he's involved in good movie like this
Bang up Orlando!
I absolutely agree. For an actor it is important to have a good, demanding role no matter if it's supporting or leading role.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Malene

And if it's a small role he will still be able to do other projects this year.
Since I'm not particularly interested in this sort of movies,I hope the work on this won't take up that much time.

If it's something that gives him a different type of credibility in the business than the one he already has,I guess this is a good project.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Human News Ticker

More from Entertainment Weekly

Quote:
LaBeouf, Bloom, Christie in 'Love You'

After months of rumors and speculation, the trades report a confirmed list of actors and directors on board for the Gotham-set anthology feature ''New York, I Love You''

Orlando Bloom, Shia LaBeouf, Julie Christie, Ethan Hawke, and Kevin Bacon are reportedly among the group of actors and directors taking part in the anthology feature New York, I Love You. The project, a collection of 12 shorts shot in each of New York's five boroughs, is being compared to Paris, je t'aime, the French-language film that used a similar approach with Paris as the setting. Names have been swirling around the Internet for the past year, but on Wednesday (April 10), the trade papers reported a comprehensive listing of those involved, both in front of and behind the camera.

Hollywood Reporter reports that LaBeouf is starring with Christie in a segment, written by the late Anthony Minghella and directed by Shekhar Kapur (Elizabeth: The Golden Age), about a woman who checks into a hotel somehow caught between worlds. There, she meets a young man and the two discover a connection and begin to understand their situation. The short is being described as similar to Minghella's feature Truly Madly Deeply. Natalie Portman is making her directorial debut with a short (she also stars in one), as is Scarlett Johansson, who is directing a segment that follows the journey of a lonely man and his vision of the city. Photos of Johansson lining up shots made the rounds in the blogosphere last month.

Variety reports that directors Bret Ratner, Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding), and Alan Hughes are among those sharing helming duties. In addition to Bacon, Hawke, Bloom, Christie, and LaBeouf, the other actors reportedly confirmed for the movie include: Carlos Acosta, Justin Bartha, Rachel Bilson, James Caan, Bradley Cooper, Chris Cooper, Drea de Matteo, Irrfan Khan, Cloris Leachman, Blake Lively, Emilie Ohana, Maggie Q, Shu Qi, Olivia Thirlby, Eli Wallach, Saul Williams, Robin Wright-Penn, Anton Yelchin, and Ugur Yucel.

The movie is said to be about halfway through a 10-week shoot. Domestic rights are still under negotiation.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

This is so exciting, but why is Orlando in LA if they are half way through the shoot in NY. I bet we will see some NY pics soon. Thanks for the info Interconnector. Kathyoooo
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
NinJa

Thanks Interconnector!!

This is so exciting
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Yay! Another new film to look forward too.

Thanks for the news Interconnector.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Crazy in Love

For some reason, NEW YORK makes him stylish. LA makes him, the other way around...

I hope he stays in NEW YORK. =P I am excited about this. Thanks!
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
mcamp81

Oh and another thought..I'm heading up to NYC to see Mary Poppins next Saturday....wouldn't it be great if I ran into Mr Bloom I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Melissa
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Passionate about the Elf

He's going to be in NYC? ROAD TRIP!!! Do we know when yet? *cough*

Thanks for diggin' these up ,interconnector!
Mirk
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Even if it's just an episode I can't wait to see it!!
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM
The lover ...

That sounds good! I'm very excited!
Thanks for the info!