Go Back   Orlando Love > The Graphics Gallery > Graphics Tutorials, resources and help

Old May 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Photoshop Puzzle Tut.

Here is a little (or large) photoshop activity to play around with. I made the tut working in CS2, but the tools are basic. I am not an expert, and I know there are other ways to do this....maybe even easier, but this is how I did the steps.

Don't be put off by the quantity of instructions. Read them all before you start to see where they are heading and then work one step at a time.

If you need any help just ask. If you have any suggestions please post them, so we can all learn.

Please post your puzzles so we can all play with them.

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Gone bush!

I used to make online puzzles they are fun! Look forward to seeing one of your puzzles Kat-the instructions do look mind boggling but will have a proper sit down & read when I get the chance.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Yeah, I think the instructions make it seem more difficult than it is, but once you get the idea the steps repetitive.

Here is one:

click

*I found that it was best to toggle the layers on and off to check that they were the right layer to work on, was a good way to avoid cutting or merging to the wrong part.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Gone bush!

Hey great! I think I'm really going to like subject matter of these puzzles haha!
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Alive...and kicking

I've already told you,but want to say it in the "open"thread...What a fantastic work,my dear...though it could be a bit tough for beginers,but quite a challenge anyway...

Note:I'm preparing a couple of tuts,too...about using selecting tools and blending modes.But I'm currently quite busy and I need an extra time for translations and all...hope I could post them next week....

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
Frecklescounter

I have a problem.
I finished my puzzle pieces and put a pic under it. When I now cut a piece out and paste it in the other canvas I only have the piece but not the part of the pic. Do I have to do something after I added the pic?

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Krazy for the Elf

Make sure you have the piece shape selected (the dots around it) but the working layer is the pic layer that you are making the copy of.....sounds like you have the puzzle piece as the layer you are working on instead of the pic.

select the pic layer to work on, > Hold down the ctrl key and click on the pic of the puzzle piece in the layer pallet this won't change the working layer just outline the piece.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Frecklescounter

Thanks, Kat!
I knew I did something wrong but had no clue what it was. Will work on it later.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Krazy for the Elf

No problem, Choco sometimes it is one small detail that makes the difference. Good to talk about issues in here because there are probably others doing the same thing.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Frecklescounter

I thought it makes more sense to ask in the tut thread. So others can read it without asking twice, too.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Frecklescounter

I finished my first. It's over in the GC thread. Will post it here after the GC is over.
I kept the psd file with the pieces so I can change the background pic without doing new puzzle pieces. That's the part who took the longest.
I was first putting the squares on the canvas and started then with cut/merge down part. I use the small preview thumbnails so I used green instead of white and turned the background red so I could see when 2 pieces weren't matching.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Glad it worked! Good idea to save your pieces to put with another pic.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
at world´s end and beyond

all I have to say is WOW... what a great thread and is amazing all the hard work you put in it ... *bows*
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Krazy for the Elf

Thank you, Nel I'm hopping that once more people try it and add input, like Choco did, it will be something anyone feels they can tackle.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Frecklescounter

If you follow Kat's great tut it's really easy. After doing a few pieces it's going automatically. And if you stuck you can always ask.
I was playing around with the shapes. If you don't have many you can use you can differ the size of the shape. Like Kat I used 40 x 40 px. I also placed the form in the middle. In some of Kat's pieces they are placed a bit more up or down.
It's all about the fun to play around.

Thanks for making this tut, Kat! At first I thought I would never ever finish it but then it was very easy. You described it so wonderful that it was easy to follow every step.

Ava, Icon & Sig by me
OPQA & CU No. 1 to Helen