Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Movies/TV/Stage -various smaller roles and projects > New York, I Love You

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks Nothrtar !

I'm little less sad to haven't see the movie. I hate Canada XD
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Happily Obsessed

I'm very sad too, City Girl, that there is no Canadian release date at all!
It was the same with Ned Kelly and Haven also. When they are in "limited
release" they don't seem to make it here to the regular theatres.
Luckily, Haven premiered here at T.I.F.F. the year before it was released
in theatres and I was lucky enough to get tickets then, but was not as lucky with NYILU
last year at T.I.F.F. I just thought, oh well, I'll see it when it gets its regular
theatrical release. But, I guess not!
Keep those reviews coming in from you lucky girls that do get to see NYILU in your
cities! We envy you!
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
northstar

I found myself wishing there was more to Shunji Iwai’s short about a composer (Orlando Bloom) and his mysterious over-the-phone muse (Christina Ricci). The premise is promising but, again given that each piece is only given a few minutes, the payoff seems abrupt and unsatisfactory. Bloom, in full on grungy artist mode, is excellent (especially considering he is playing off of a phone rather than another human being). When Ricci finally does show up, the chemistry just isn’t there.

In having seen the film, I disagree with the above. He is properly attired in the full grunge mode, but his acting in this segment is great! He properly portrays the frustration a musician has and the unfair pressure that is placed on him, but when Ricci shows up, the scene ends so their comment of no chemistry is unfair. How would they know that if the scene ends?
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:42 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Lass View Post
I'm very sad too, City Girl, that there is no Canadian release date at all!
It was the same with Ned Kelly and Haven also. When they are in "limited
release" they don't seem to make it here to the regular theatres.
Luckily, Haven premiered here at T.I.F.F. the year before it was released
in theatres and I was lucky enough to get tickets then, but was not as lucky with NYILU
last year at T.I.F.F. I just thought, oh well, I'll see it when it gets its regular
theatrical release. But, I guess not!
Keep those reviews coming in from you lucky girls that do get to see NYILU in your
cities! We envy you!
You are so lucky ! I love so much Haven !!!

I think for us it will do the same thing as "paris, je t'aime". The movie will go to blockbuster video club directly. Or I think I will have to buy it at Archambault ...It's weird, in the movie there is a lot of good actor and actress. Hayden is canadian ! xD
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I think this one wasn't posted yet ...

Source

Quote:
Rated R for language and sexual content.

New York, I Love You is the second installment of Emmanuel Benbihy’s global explorations of love. I still remember fondly watching Paris, Je T’aime on the big screen, being enthralled by how truly special each short was. Following that lead would be tough for anyone, but Benbihy and his writers have moved the concept to New York City, where viewers can be introduced to an assortment of eccentric people and neighborhoods. The result is not as masterful and refreshing as Paris, Je T’aime , but the vast array of styles and ideas still offers imaginative tales and an overall worthwhile film.

Paris, Je T’aime found the right balance between the quality of the directors and the quality of the casts. Nevertheless, it was the filmmakers time to shine, and they triumphed beautifully. New York, I Love You makes some changes to the format we fell in love with previously. First is that the star caliber is higher, while the directors are more unknown in many cases. This is fine, as it allows green filmmakers the chance to prove their talents, while still throwing in the intermittent famous director to have fun with a short. The most notable faces at the helm this time are Natalie Portman, Brett Ratner, and Mira Nair. The line-up is a jarring transition from the Coens, Gus Van Sant, Wes Craven, and Alfonso Cuaron, among others.

New York, I Love You was shot over a period of 36 days. The 10 filmmakers were given three guidelines: They had only 24-48 hours to shoot, a week to edit, and they needed to give a sense of a particular neighborhood. The shorts are around 10-12 minutes in length each, give or take a minute. In my mind it is misleading to summarize a few and leave the rest out, so here are my brief thoughts on all of them. Noticeable as well are the absences of titles. This time, the name of the director acts as the title for each segment, but more on that later. His or her name will appear in bold italics.

Jiang Wen – This strange short has a young man named Ben meeting a girl in a bar. He has a cell phone she left behind, and starts a conversation that is interrupted by her boyfriend. Wen instills a rather slick methodology here that I dug, and Garcia and Christensen have a solid chemistry as foes.

Mira Nair – The director of The Namesake and Monsoon Wedding crafts a tale of a Hasidic woman dealing with an Indian diamond merchant. She is about to marry, and says that she will cut off all her hair on that very day. This is one short that I flat out did not care for. Natalie Portman and Irrfan Khan are both excellent actors, but they get lost in the story. It is incredibly bizarre, and doesn’t make much sense.

Shunji Iwai – Here we have a premise that is not entirely original, but at this length, it is compact and effective. David is a composer that spends most of his time talking to the assistant of his boss. They form a connection without seeing each other. Orlando Bloom is quite dirty, but appropriately so considering he stays at home composing music for anime films, and Christina Ricci is cute with her big eyes and nice smile.

Yvan Attal – Ethan Hawke stars as a writer who tries to hit on a random Asian woman smoking on the street. This has a twist at the end, which was hilarious, and watching Hawke emit echoes of his Before Sunset/Sunrise character is always a pleasure. Attal just points and shoots, but with Hawke and a lovely Maggie Q, that’s all we need.

Brett Ratner – Anton Yelchin is a high school senior that was just dumped before the prom by Blake Lively. He is without a date, until his local pharmacist hooks him up with his own daughter, played by Olivia Thirlby. The thing is, she is confined to a wheelchair. Mark my words, this is Brett Ratner’s best work in years. He captures the area with adequately vivid detail, while Yelchin and Thirlby are outstanding in their roles. James Caan is her father, and he pops up more than once as the pharmacist.

Allen Hughes – One half of the Hughes brothers (Menace II Society, The Book of Eli) takes Bradley Cooper and Drea de Matteo as a man and woman who evidently had sex, but are going on another date to see how it goes. Their inner thoughts follow them separately as they meet up. Cooper and Matteo make an interesting pair, but this struck me as very realistic, down to Earth, and even erotic as Hughes integrates ephemeral glimpses of their first hookup.

Shekhar Kapur – In what is easily the most gorgeously directed of the stories, and a contender for the most inexplicable, Julie Christie is Isabelle, an aging singer who is waited on in a hotel room by Shia LaBeouf and John Hurt. Many will hate this segment because of its ambiguity, but I adored it. The only problem is LaBeouf and Christie speak in such a low tone that if the volume in the theater is not turned up, you might not hear every word. It is worth noting that Anthony Minghella wrote this, and their is a dedication to him at the closing credits.

Natalie Portman – In her directorial debut, Portman follows a loving father and his daughter, who looks nothing like him. Cesar de Leon plays the father, and I found this to be a very touching example of how our society judges books by their covers. Portman’s direction can hardly be praised as masterful, but she shows natural abilities that could be put to good use in the future. Cesar de Leon also gives a quiet and subtle performance.

Fatih Akin – The director behind The Edge of Heaven gives us this tale of a painter that is obsessed with a Chinese herbalist. This could have been much more moving than it was had the actors, Ugur Yucel and Qui Shu, been given more lines. Burt Young does make a nice cameo as a landlord though.

Joshua Marston – This is reminiscent of Stanley Tucci’s recent remake Blind Date, but the dialogue is so terrific with Chris Cooper and Robin Wright Penn as the leads, that the familiarity of the premise means nothing. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Marston (Maria Full of Grace) catches the area’s aura marvelously, and has a knack for character interaction.

Shortly after the release of Paris, Je T’aime, Emmanuel Benbihy responded to some of the criticisms. The chief complaint from detractors was that the transitions were too abrupt. When one short ended, the other then began. He elected to alter this for New York, I Love You, and as I said then, the change was not necessary. For this series of stories, we might spot a character for a moment in someone else’s segment or a transition, but he/she will return later for his or her full short. They also attempt to link the stories in small ways to elicit a smooth flowing narrative. These stories should not have been edited in such a manner. It is not a flaw necessarily, but it was trivial. In the end, the viewer is also privy to a playback of clips, so as not to forget some of the shorts. Benbihy and company are trying too hard to please us, and his set up was fine before.

I’m not sure why they chose to delete the titles. Perhaps they felt this too gave the audience a bumpy segue way feeling. If this was so bothersome to people, they chose to see the wrong film. For New York, I Love You, the directors and cast list are only displayed at the final credits, complete with pictures to jog our memory. This was was ok, but I still appreciated the titles. It was suitable to begin a new story with a new vision, and by highlighting the directors name beforehand, it offered the viewer the chance to acknowledge the filmmakers. It’s almost as if they are trying to hide the fact that this is an anthology film.

Since I reviewed Paris, Je T’aime, I have seen a lot of anthology films, some good and some bad, but I have always enjoyed the smorgasbord effect. It is amazing to me that upon perusing so many articles from mainstream critics, that they all stick with the same argument for this type of movie. “It is only as good as the sum of it’s parts.” I agree with this to a point, but many critics have the attitude that because of this, the entire picture is doomed to fail, thus they seem to dismiss it before every giving the proper chance. They have the belief that unless each of the segments are equally as fulfilling, the effort is poor. This is not only ignorant, but arrogant and unfair.

Constantly reading the same carping that 10 minutes is not enough to make a connection with the characters gets old. What do they expect? The segments are not meant to be compared to full-length features. It is inevitable that one will like some shorts more than others. The point is whether or not the experience as a whole leaves a satisfying impression. Having what seems like pre-packaged complaints without affording an open mind is somewhat conceited. I will say that New York, I Love You suffers from having a segment that did not work at all in Mira Nair’s.

The task of evoking a sense of the neighborhood is not easy, but it was accomplished with adeptness considering the allocated time. The key word is “sense.” New York, I Love You and Paris, Je T’aime present tastes of the areas in their city, not the full helping. With such a small amount of time, the emphasis needs to be on characters and emotion, otherwise, this would be borderline a documentary, or a postcard, which is dull. The magnificent transition shots from Randall Balsmeyer give us fleeting tours of the city, and showcase the various landmarks with single shots, and that is all we really need to see of certain monuments. An important theme is that personalities and culture are just as crucial to the atmosphere of a city as the tourist attractions and reputation, and this provided a graceful outlook of New York City as a melting pot.

When the film was screened at the Toronto Film Festival, it apparently included two more segments. One was the directorial debut of Scarlett Johansson, which featured Kevin Bacon, and the other by Andrei Zvyganistev, which featured Carla Gugino. I can only assume these were cut to improve the final cut. After the success and positive buzz of Paris, Je T’aime made its rounds, a trilogy was envisioned. Now, at least three more installments are on the horizon in Shanghai, Jerusalem, and Rio. I say bring ‘em on. On a side note, I have read that some people were wondering why recognized New Yorkers like Woody Allen or Martin Scorsese did not participate. Well, they tried an anthology film once (New York Stories), and it did not turn out well.

With an awkward structural change, and a couple missteps in the segments, New York, I Love You is far from perfect, but enchanting all the same. With all the by-the-numbers romantic comedies raking in the cash these days, I would take another installment of this series anyday. It is breezy entertainment, but occasionally profound, and always fairly inventive. Love works in weird ways, and one never knows how they will find or lose it, but people have unusual encounters and exchanges in every city. That is what makes New York, I Love You such a tender and delightful treat. It conveys just how big this world is, and how many mesmerizing stories there are to tell…one city at a time.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Adoring

Colour me the third Canadian to comment who's sad I can't go see this yet...

But, it's made better by hearing all the good reviews for Orlando ^_^
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Witch province ? Pirate Lass is from Ontario and me, from Montréal. If you near, we should make a trip to NY XD Seriously, we should make a club of sad canadian XD

You have right, it's really cool to finally see good review about him. I think he did right. But, I feel more sad because his segment look really great lol
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
Adoring

I would be so up for that! But sadly I'm all the way over in Alberta, haha. I'll just keep telling myself to be patient... I'll see it eventually... but it's not easy...
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

I'm going to see this tomorrow! I was supposed to go today, but there were no more showings!

No matter! I'm going to see my Orlando tomorrow on the big screen after 2 years!

My Orly's back! :smitten

Edit: I just saw the movie and I loved it! Orlando's part was the best! I thought his character was so cute! It literally was the definition of short and sweet. I also liked Natalie Portman's story and Cloris Leachman's and Hayden Christensen's. I recommend this movie! If nothing else, Orlando Bloom's in it!

Last edited by Guin Sparrow; October 25th, 2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: adding
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Krazy for the Elf

*sigh* still waiting.....

I was told that the DVD was going to be released March 2nd here.......Was all ready and had hubby make a special stop along our weekly shopping run........I have to wait until next week....probably until next weekend....
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Passionately Enthralled

oh, no that is sad...

I think the movie is coming up to theatre soon in France...
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Human News Ticker

Another good review for Orlando

Quote:
I was initially sceptical about my final screening of the day, New York, I Love You, the multi-director, starry portmanteau film about finding love in the Big Apple. The problem with anthology movies like this is they can be very hit and miss, but the hits more than outweigh the misses here. Along with Ethan Hawke unconventionally chatting up Maggie Q, we have Bradley Cooper finding something more with a one-night stand, Orlando Bloom giving a genuinely commendable performance as an on-the-edge composer seeking help from the mysterious woman on the end of his phone-line and Eli Wallach bickering with his wife before they silently reminisce about their youth on their anniversary.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Head Over Heels

Yay for good reviews!
Thanks IC.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks! he a is a great actor