Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Kingdom of Heaven

Old May 15th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Lemmewinks10

I guess I will be patient and buy the EE DVD so I won't buy both of them . Hmmm okay I lie I can't be patient I am just ganna buy both versions

Last edited by Lemmewinks10; May 15th, 2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM
In Valinor

I'm buying both because I have no restraint.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Rhiannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf Lady
I'm buying both because I have no restraint.
Ditto. Of course, you realize if I buy both, my husband will disown me.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Marilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon
Ditto. Of course, you realize if I buy both, my husband will disown me.
I will do the same, and it will happend the same to me, my friend will be disaproved, but there's nothing for me, if I have enjoy to seeing a great film.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Pumpkin Spice

I happen to know someone (OK, it's ME) who has 2 Fellowships and 3 TTTs and ROTKs! (Gotta have full-screen, wide-screen and extended, don't ya know).
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:41 PM
dejaorlando22

i'm cheap so i am buying the EE
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Rhiannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Spice
I happen to know someone (OK, it's ME) who has 2 Fellowships and 3 TTTs and ROTKs! (Gotta have full-screen, wide-screen and extended, don't ya know).
Really? My husband complains that I have 2 of each (theatrical and EE).

So...erm...to keep this on topic (so I won't get the BMS )...are you gonna buy 3 versions of KoH, too, PS? Are you looking forward to those cut scenes as much as I am?
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Pumpkin Spice

That's one of the benefits of being a single gal I guess ... I can do whatever I want with my money. No hubby to give me a hard time!

With KOH, since I was a little disappointed with what was left out, I'm going to TRY to wait for the EE. Of course, we'll see how long I can stand it, knowing that The Pretty is out there for the buying!!
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Sibelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Spice
That's one of the benefits of being a single gal I guess ... I can do whatever I want with my money. No hubby to give me a hard time!
Yup, same here ! Im spending way too much money on DVDs and other Orlando stuff, but who cares? I dont .
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:57 AM
luv4ever

at first i was gonna be inpatient, and buy the theatrical one. but im a cheapo, and gonna wait and get the EE one. i will just rent the theatrical one until the EE one comes out, which i hope doesnt come out more than 1 month or pushing it 2 months apart.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:36 AM
lazybone

According to my friend who is quite familiar with the releasing date of DVD, the DVD of KOH will come out on October 11th.

As far as he knows, there's no detailed information if the DVD is theatrical version or extended one.
There will be another KOH's DVD released next year, so it's probably only theatrical version.

I think there will be at least 3 different versions of DVD, and unfortunately I might buy them all.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Sazi

3 different versions of DVD? Gosh, I'm going to be so broke!
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I will definitely get the DVD, but I will wait for the extended version. I'll probably do what some of the others have said, and rent the theatrical version when it becomes available, to tide me over...

After all, I've got all of Orlando's films on DVD (except for Wilde), so have to complete the collection, don't I?

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Just Another Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNin
At this particular place in time, though, I am feeling a bit used ... and also that Orlando has been, to a degree. Right now, I'm rather pi**ed at FOX. They tapped Orlando's current popularity and hired him, then tied the darn film so closely to Gladiator, Russell Crowe and Scott with all their advertising that comparisons would be inevitable. Critics trashed him because he wasn't Russell and the film because it wasn't Gladiator ... when they never were intended to be in the first place! I thought Orlando did a masterful job in the role, but false expectations were ramped up by the studio marketing. Now he'll be blamed for "not being leading man quality" if the film isn't a hit, but it's really because it was a chopped version of what seems to have been a great story and could have been a fantastic film. Phhffpht!

And putting all those cut scenes into the trailers was a cheap ploy to get butts in the seats ... (Someone said the whole film was a trailer for the director's cut DVD and they have a good point.) ... because it's left most of the audience disappointed and unable to make sense of the disconnected story we were shown. I'll suspect their advertising department shot themselves in the foot this time, if KOH doesn't make money. This seems to be a common trend with the current depressed film market and I hope they will stop this soon ... it doesn't win friends and I think it's hurtful to the actors whose careers get caught up in the marketing games. So many of the fan reviews and comments I've seen have said, "Orlando was wonderful and the film was beautiful, but..." They are looking for the rest of the story and the missing scenes from the trailers and previews.

Orlando himself will probably just cherish the experience as a wonderful learning opportunity and be grateful for it, bless his heart. I hope he can hold onto his sunny spirit ... in the face of Hollywood games and shenanigans. I'll just be annoyed on his behalf. *g*

Thanks for letting me rant ... back to your regularly scheduled plot-guessing. (Oops, I did it again ... sorry. )
You can't help but feel used after you see the film because you know that some big wig at Fox thought it would be super slick to use cut scenes in the trailers in order to get people to see the movie. But, you have to think that cutting the scenes to make the movie shorter is going to come back to bite them in the *** because people are complaining about how the movie is lacking in character development. Also, how a lot of things just plain don't make sense because there is nothing to put it into context.

Also, I have to throw my lot in with everyone who has said that the marketing for this film was just moronic, really. First off, use a constant reference to Scott being the director of Gladiator as your only angle and people are going to expect Maximus in the crusades. When it isn't anything like that it's only natural that there's going to be some complaining. Secondly, why would they release this film so close to the last installment of Star Wars? I mean, the marketing behind that film is absurd, not to mention the fact that it has an audience almost 30 yrs. in the making.

You know what really pisses me off about the whole thing? (Going off topic here) That the film industry just plain caters to those shallow morons who are satisfied with movies that are, as Nin put it, total crap. They want to watch movies like Triple X, House of Wax. You know, movies that require zero brain power to get through. I see commercials for movies like this and think, why even make a movie? Really, why don't you just go out and tickle the audience individually or hire a dancing monkey. It pisses me off that you could walk into a movie like this and see the whole place filled to the brim, then walk into a movie like KOH and see no one. I mean, you wouldn't want to stumble into a movie that, I don't know, provokes a little thoughtful discussion.(Did that make sense? Damn my schizophrenia. Makes it so hard to keep your thoughts in order. )

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand, I cannot wait to see the Extended Edition. Something tells me that it's going to an entirely different movie if all of the scenes that were filmed are added.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:02 PM
In Valinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela
According to my friend who is quite familiar with the releasing date of DVD, the DVD of KOH will come out on October 11th.

As far as he knows, there's no detailed information if the DVD is theatrical version or extended one.
There will be another KOH's DVD released next year, so it's probably only theatrical version.

I think there will be at least 3 different versions of DVD, and unfortunately I might buy them all.
Thanks for the info Pamela. That would be a treat right before Elizabethtown comes out.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela

According to what Ridley Scott said in the press-conference in Madrid (Spain), the extended version wich includes all of the scenes will be available next year.
The funny thing is that he said those scenes are needed to understand the story.
So the question is obvious, why the f*** did he removed them?
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Sazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by viczgz
According to what Ridley Scott said in the press-conference in Madrid (Spain), the extended version wich includes all of the scenes will be available next year.
The funny thing is that he said those scenes are needed to understand the story.
So the question is obvious, why the f*** did he removed them?
Yep... I think we're all wondering what the answer to that question is, Vic.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:58 AM
DMW3

ok, Had a really nasty cold bug, so not been here or too the cinema . What I would like to do is give a different angle to some of the points raised in this thread (well, what did you expect)

Firstly, the issue of the extended DVD being an excuse to extract money. In the last 5 years something very radical as happened to the way people pay for and how they watch, films. Dvd's have meant that we can watch films with good quality pictures in a format that does't get 'eaten' by the vcr after repeat viewings. So more films are being bought for viewing in the home, rather than the previously more common habit of renting video cassettes. So people no longer watch a popular movie, once or twice but many times in their own homes.

Secondly, something else very radical happened, that I believe has and is changing the face a film and cinema going. You may (sarcasm ) be familiar with a series of films called LOTR, well, the first extended edition, the FOTR EE was initially seen as something for the fans, a little indulgence for Peter Jackson and a way of New Line making a little extra cash and was put together as such. However, what happened was basically, that the extended version, became the better and real version of FOTR. This was enlarged upon by both the TTT ee and the ROTK EE, so that these DVD editions of the films were seen as the genuine article, rather than the cut theatrical release of the movies.

This has been taken on board by diectors, who are now free from the constraints of having to make movies that conform to a given time length in order to please film distribution companies. This means that scriptwriters and directors are free, within the constraints of their budgets to make the movie they want regardless of the number of butt numbing hours that could be. This of course means that film-making can become a more creative and less restrictive artform.

Now with KOH, what we have is a film that is fairly long in its theatrical version, but substantially longer in its extended DVD version, a version of the film that will be the the film Ridley Scott wanted to make. There is no 'rip-off' involved, we know there are going to be two different versions of this film, in advance so we are free to decide which version or versions we are going to buy.

In the past, fans of films have been deprived of seeing or even knowing about scenes that have been cut from films, due to problems with running time. Take Coppola's Apocalypse Now, a film that has taken over 20 years to be seen in as the director intented, in it's 'Redux' version. It is also worth noting that the first director to release a 'directors cut' was one Ridley Scott, who disliked the changes the studio asked him to make to the original theatrical release of Bladerunner, so he released his own version of the film on Video in the mid 1980s.

AS for the Gladiator marketing of KOH, well, I disagree. Critics seem to have laid into KOH for not being Gladiator and Orlando not being Russell Crowe. Marketing isn't aimed at critics, its aimed at the general public/ I would also point out that critics who complain that KOH is not a Gladiator 'follow-up' need to learn to read!, The title of the film is Kingdom of Heaven, not Gladiator 2, or whatever. I am afraid, in most cases these criticisms, are coming from the same place, as the Paris criticisms came from, a blatant homophobic belief that 'heroes' are all macho musclemen, who have to conform to some grizzled male stereotype of herocism, which is something that Russell Crowe does conform too( not knocking Russell Crowe, but he is as they say 'a mans man'). This is lazy journalism, sorry.

I think what KOH has suffered from is bad timing, not in cinematic terms, but in political terms, its message goes against the current mood or feeling of the time. Perhaps, as other films have done, as the social and political mood changes, critics, may change their minds.

Anyway, as others have rightly said, its made its money, Alexander it definitley isn't. It has also proved, that despite some bad reviews, Orlando does have box office pulling power, afterall, if pople are not going because of glowing reviews, why are they going.....

Star Wars, well, everyone else has avoided May, which means that a later release for KOH would have had it compete with big blockbusters, or wait until the late Autumn. with its onslaught of Oscar type films, and a Christmas in which we are likely to have a new Harry Potter film, The LIon the Witch and the Wardrobe movie, and King Kong.

DIane
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW3

Now with KOH, what we have is a film that is fairly long in its theatrical version, but substantially longer in its extended DVD version, a version of the film that will be the the film Ridley Scott wanted to make. There is no 'rip-off' involved, we know there are going to be two different versions of this film, in advance so we are free to decide which version or versions we are going to buy.

I think what KOH has suffered from is bad timing, not in cinematic terms, but in political terms, its message goes against the current mood or feeling of the time. Perhaps, as other films have done, as the social and political mood changes, critics, may change their minds.

I still don't really get why Ridley Scott doesn't release the film he really wants to make to the theatres.He should be powerful enough to to do that.Or at least stretch the film to 3hrs,if he feels the material he has filmed is important.
But what do I know?

As for the message going against the current mood,that doesn't apply where I'm from.I haven't seen seen critics nor viewers posting comments on message boards take any offense to the message. It has rather been applauded by everyone.It helps make the film a hit here.(Norway)
But then again we're not so involved in the ongoing conflicts in the world..
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
DMW3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene
I still don't really get why Ridley Scott doesn't release the film he really wants to make to the theatres.He should be powerful enough to to do that.Or at least stretch the film to 3hrs,if he feels the material he has filmed is important.
But what do I know?

As for the message going against the current mood,that doesn't apply where I'm from.I haven't seen seen critics nor viewers posting comments on message boards take any offense to the message. It has rather been applauded by everyone.It helps make the film a hit here.(Norway)
But then again we're not so involved in the ongoing conflicts in the world..

Ok to your first point: Distribution companies make cuts to films to give them a shorter running time, which enables a film to be shown say 3 times on a cinema screen in one evening, as opposed to two times. The shorter the film, the better chance it has got of making more money, precisley because it can be shown more often. We do, when we see a film, pay the same entry fee regardless of whether a film is 2 hours or 3 1/2 hours long. Directors often have to compromise with the distribution companies over film length and ratings, so extended DVD's actually free them from that.

Ridley Scott DID make the film he wanted to (that is why we have the extended version), but the distribution company didn't want us to see that film in theatres as it would have limited the number of screenings KOH had, and therefore its box office. I would aslo point out that in the past, directors have found that distribution companies have cut their films, without even telling them, which is why directors do cut scenes from their own films, otherwise Joe from accounts could be doing it!

Although having said that, there is the butt numbing and bladder control problem of seeing a 3 hours plus film in the cinema, because unlike at home, we can't press the pause button and do what we have to do Modern cinemas dont have to change reels, there are no more intervals, so 3/ 1/2 hours is a long time to sit and watch a film and have it disturbed by bathroom breaks that you or others take etc etc.

As for the mood, well Norway may be an exception, but its not just about the message of the film, but about capturing a social/political mood. That is, do audiences want escapism, or realism, in times of economic decline for instance, escapist films are popular, 1977 and Star Wars being a point. Sometimes, as cultural commentators and even political theorists have said, words in a film can sum up events more effectively, than journalists or politicians, a recent and cited case being the opening words of FOTR 'the world has changed, I feel it in the water...' gained an emotional resonance, suming up a social mood, just 3 months after 9/11, in a way that no politician or journalist did at the time.

I just think that perhaps, with all the news surrounding Iraq and terrorism, etc etc, that people and critics don't want to be reminded of all that stuff when they go and see a film. Films stay the same but the social mood changes. In the case of KOH it may just be that people, don't want to be reminded that the problems of the middle east, are over a 1000 years old. The film may have something to say or not, but sometimes people are not in the mood to listen.

Diane

P.s. whilst there are references to politcial events in this post they are examples only, and are not intended to spark a political debate of any kind.
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Pervy Picture Handler

You made a good point, DMW3. KOH is just not the movie for escapism. That's one of at least two reasons why I love it. - and maybe one reason why it doesn't work so well as some people thought it would.
But - we need to have films like this one, even more and especially in times like these.
Quote:
P.s. whilst there are references to politcial events in this post they are examples only, and are not intended to spark a political debate of any kind.
Oh come on! - don't be 'shy'. You know, there's this other thread (KOH - political implications) in this forum where we love to hear your opinion.

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW3
Although having said that, there is the butt numbing and bladder control problem of seeing a 3 hours plus film in the cinema, because unlike at home, we can't press the pause button and do what we have to do Modern cinemas dont have to change reels, there are no more intervals, so 3/ 1/2 hours is a long time to sit and watch a film and have it disturbed by bathroom breaks that you or others take etc etc.
I think it's kind of sad that people don't have the patience (or bladder) to sit through a film anymore. For me personally, the main reason for seeing all the films I can at the cinema and not on DVD, is exactly the 'sitting through without interruptions' factor. That way I can really concentrate on the film and appreciate it the way it was meant to be appreciated.

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGirl
I think it's kind of sad that people don't have the patience (or bladder) to sit through a film anymore. For me personally, the main reason for seeing all the films I can at the cinema and not on DVD, is exactly the 'sitting through without interruptions' factor. That way I can really concentrate on the film and appreciate it the way it was meant to be appreciated.

~Gem~
I agree,Gemini girl.

Diane,you reponded to my post exactly how I thought you would.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:28 AM
monalisa

Exclamation KOH on DVD

Does anyone knows when KoH will be on dvd?? I have already heard from people who claim to already have the movie on dvd.....

I don't know if I am even allowed to start a thread about this right here but I had to ask anyway....
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:05 AM
In Valinor

I believe the DVD will be out on October 11th, according to a friend of Pamela's who is familiar with the release of DVD's.

If people already have the movie on DVD, it is a bootleg and no discussion of how to obtain it is allowed on this board.

Moving thread to the KOH forum