Old April 17th, 2005, 03:02 PM
kingdomofheaven

Yes please! Scan the two pages!!
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
clpm_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomofheaven
Yes please! Scan the two pages!!
As you asked so sweetly I have put the scans up in the magazine section.

Oh and EL I think I numbered the attachments wrong there are only three thats what happens when you get I have no idea how you cope.
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:51 PM
kingdomofheaven

Thank you! youre the best!
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Fantastic article...hopefully it will set aside some of the concerns that have come out over the nature of this movie. I can't wait for this movie, yes of course for the obvious reasons, but I love history and the period of history this movie covers, so while it may not be totally accurate, I think it's going to be a fair interpretation of events. And the movie as a whole, is going to kick a@ss
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Passionate about the Elf

Great article, EL, thanks for posting... I love Ridley's attitude!

Mirk
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Great article....thanks for posting, Interconnector & EL......reading about the movie from Ridley Scott's perspective and then reading the fantastic review for the movie and the actors.....WOW....this looks like the one to win it all for Ridley !!! I hope so.
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:29 PM
kingdomofheaven

Do you guys think this movie will get an academy award?
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
“In the end, I just had to put everything else out of my mind and deliver,” he says. “I have just seen it: the film is fantastic. I always wonder about myself, though. Could it have been better?”
Awww... Don't be insecure my dear. I'm sure you have done your best, and it definitely came out!

Good luck!

What an awesome review.... GREAT GREAT! I am truly happy when there are nice things said about the movie and Orlando... This is great!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
It certainly could not have been any worse than his big girl’s blouse of a performance in Troy.
Hmmmm... about the TROY comment, I still don't know... He gave a good performance, I still believe.

Quote:
And if he is ever worried about bringing the house down, he should have been at the London preview of Alexander and heard the howls of laughter that greeted Colin Farrell’s appearance on screen, with blond barnet and dark caterpillar eyebrows.
HAHAHA! This comment implies that Orlando is way more goodlooking in the film than Colin... and that he is indeed a more believable charater in the film. I just hate Colin, he's such a badass that it is annoying...
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM
In Valinor

Quote:
Do you guys think this movie will get an academy award?
It will no doubt get nominated for and hopefully win tons of tech awards (costume, art direction, cinematography, sound, editing, etc.). But depending on how well the critics receive the film, it may garner Best Supporting for Liam or Jeremy and I would hope Best Director for Ridley Scott (finally!). I would hope for Best Picture but I'm not going to hold my breath. As far as Orlando goes, the fangirl in me would hope for a nomination but I think it his chances are more realistic for a nom for "Elizabethtown".
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I agree with everything you said, EL...... I think that this will be the one that will win Ridley Scott his Best Director Oscar !!! And KOH will certainly be nominated for Best Picture, and has a pretty darn good chance to win too !!!
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
kingdomofheaven

Yeah! Im with you EL, I really hope this one will get a award for best picture!
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Malene

If the movie get a best movie nomination there is a good chance for actor noms,too.
RoTK must be one of the very few best movie winners with no actor noms.

But it's too soon to talk awards.
I have a very good feeling about this movie,though. It looks spectacular and quite deep at the same time.If Gladiator won,this one should have a good chance,too.
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
kingdomofheaven

Did Gladiator get a academy award for best picture?
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Malene

Quote:
Did Gladiator get a academy award for best picture?
Yes,and Russell Crowe got Best actor.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:05 PM
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene
Yes,and Russell Crowe got Best actor.
Gladiator got 12 nominations ruling for 2000 oscar ceremony including Best Picture, Best Actor (Russell Crowe), Best Supporting Actor (Joaquin Phoenix) and Best Director (Scott).

Gladiator also got the oscar for visal effects, costume designe, sound and I think I don't forget any.

Most of the team that made Gladiator repeats now in KoH.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM
kingdomofheaven

thats awesome!
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM
zephyr

Anyway, it's a shame Ridley never won for best director (you know, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louis, Alien... and many many). Maybe now is his time!
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

It is so great to read these amazing reviews!

I'm not sure I can wait.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Rydia

I attended a panel discussion today at my school discussing Kingdom of Heaven and the representation of Muslims and Christians in the movie.

One of the panelists, was a cultural consultant for the movie and he said that he believed that Ridley Scott did a superb job in trying to make the film authentic. "Over and beyond the call of duty" were his exact words.

He couldn't tell us much more on the specifics of the film since he was under a universal gag order, but from the tidbits he gave us, I think it was pretty clear that he enjoyed the movie.

We got to watch clips from the movie on a HUGE screen, and I was squeeing the whole time. It's not often I get so excited doing extra credit assignments.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM
At First Sight

Lucky girl
School assignments were never THAT interesting when I was there...er ..a long time ago !!
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Ancalime

Quote:
"I always wonder about myself, though. Could it have been better?”
If my memory serves me correctly, he felt the same way about his performance as Legolas.
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:29 PM
In Valinor

Wow! I'll bet no one fell asleep during that lecture! Thanks for sharing that Rydia.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Crazy in Love

Quote:
Jahr: 2004
Länge: 145 min
Genre: Action / Drama
Land: Hollywood
Cast: Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons, Eva Green, Marton Csokas, David Thewlis, Edward Norton, Brendan Gleeson, Ghassan Massoud, Alexander Siddig, Michael Sheen, Michael Fitzgerald, Nathalie Cox, Eriq Ebouaney, Jon Finch, Velibor Topic, Kevin McKidd

'Seid ohne Furcht im Angesicht Eurer Feinde. Seid tapfer und aufrecht. Sprecht die Wahrheit, auch wenn
dies Euren eigenen Tod bedeutet. Beschützt die Wehrlosen und tut kein Unrecht. Das ist Euer Eid ...'

Balian (Orlando Bloom), ein einfacher Schmied, hat Frau und Kind verloren und darüber beinahe auch seinen Glauben. Der Religions-Krieg, der im fernen Heiligen Land brennt, scheint ihm weit entfernt. Dennoch wird er in die Ereignisse dieses immensen Dramas hineingezogen. Inmitten des Prunks und der Intrigen des mittelalterlichen Jerusalems verliebt er sich, wächst zu einem Führer heran und setzt am Ende all seinen Mut und seine Fähigkeiten ein, um die Stadt in aussichtsloser Lage zu verteidigen. Das Schicksal ereilt Balian in Form des legendären Godfrey von Ibelin (Liam Neeson), einem Kreuzritter, der kurz von seinen Kämpfen im Osten nach Frankreich heimgekehrt ist. Er enthüllt dem erstaunten Balian, dass er sein leiblicher Vater ist und nimmt ihn mit auf eine Reise durch die Kontinente in die sagenumwobene Heilige Stadt.

In Jerusalem herrscht zu der Zeit – zwischen dem Zweiten und Dritten Kreuzzug – ein zerbrechlicher Frieden, der nur den Bemühungen des weisen Christen-Königs Baldwin IV, unterstützt von seinem Berater Tiberias (Jeremy Irons), und der militärischen Zurückhaltung des Sagen umwobenen Muslim-Führers Saladin (Ghassan Massoud) zu verdanken ist. Aber Baldwins Tage sind gezählt, und Anfälle von Fanatismus, Gier und Eifersucht unter den Kreuzfahrern gefährden den Waffenstillstand. Die Friedens-Vision von König Baldwin – ein KÖNIGREICH DER HIMMEL – wird geteilt von einer Handvoll Ritter, darunter Godfrey von Ibelin, die schwören, die Idee mit ihrem Leben und ihrer Ehre zu verteidigen. Als Godfrey das Schwert an seinen Sohn weiterreicht, überträgt er damit auch den Heiligen Eid auf ihn:
Die Hilflosen zu beschützen, den Frieden zu wahren und sich für die Harmonie zwischen den Religionen und Kulturen einzusetzen, so dass ein Königreich der Himmel auf Erden errichtet werden kann. Balian ergreift das Schwert und geht in die Geschichte ein ...

'Königreich der Himmel' ('Kingdom Of Heaven') ist ein sehr bildgewaltiger Film. Seien es die wunderschönen Landschaften Frankreichs oder vor allem die Wüstenlandschaften um Jerusalem herum: es wird stets eine Augenweide für den Zuschauer dargeboten. Hinzu kommen auch die sehr schönen Kameraeinstellungen und -fahrten durch die Stadt Jerusalem oder inmitten der Schlachten. Die Stadt Jerusalem selbst sieht auch wunderbar aus und wurde perfekt animiert. All das hebt Königreich der Himmel deutlich aus der Masse hervor. Der Verdienst dessen gebührt natürlich Director Ridley Scott, seine Handschrift ist deutlich wiederzuerkennen. Schon mit Gladiator hat er bewiesen wie ein Film auszusehen hat, der selbst auch ein optisches Meisterwerk gewesen ist. All das erzeugt insgesamt einen sehr schönen Stil, nahezu jede Einstellung für sich ist mehr als hübsch anzusehen, andere Schlachtenfilme wie zB. Troja ziehen hierbei im Vergleich ganz klar den Kürzeren.

Die Darsteller leisten auch einen sehr guten Beitrag im Film. Allen voran Liam Neeson, der aus den Kreuzzügen nach Frankreich zurückkehrt um seinen Sohn Balian, den er nie zuvor gesehen hat und der aus einer Affäre entstand, mitzunehmen. Schauspielerisch hat Neeson weit die Nase vorn, schade nur dass seine Rolle zeitlich knapp bemessen war. Auch Jeremy Irons leistet eine gute schauspielerische Leistung ab als militärischer Berater des Königs Baldwin, der stets versucht, einen Krieg zu verhindern und daran verzweifelt. Orlando Bloom in der Hauptrolle des Balian und Eva Green ('Die Träumer') als Prinzessin geben eine solide und ordentliche Leistung ab, allerdings auch nichts Aussergewöhnliches. Was dem Zuschauer wahrscheinlich nicht bewusst sein wird: Auch Edward Norton ist dabei in der Rolle des Königs Baldwin. Allerdings erkennt man diesen nicht, da er eine Maske trägt um sein Gesicht zu verstecken, dass durch seine Lepra-Erkrankung entstellt ist.

Bei der Inszenierung der Geschichte um die Kreuzzüge stand Ridley Scott vor einem ganz besonderem Problem. Beide Seiten, sowohl die Christen als auch die Moslems, sollten als gleichwertig dargestellt werden, keine der beiden Seiten sollte als das Böse hingestellt werden. Dies ist Ridley Scott auch wunderbar gelungen. Man erlebt die Geschichte vorwiegend aus dem Blickwinkel von Balian, der der christlichen Seite angehört, allerdings sind die angreifenden Moslems nicht wirklich die Bösen. So wird der Muslim-Führer Saladin (Ghassan Massoud) in erster Linie als Staatsmann dargestellt, dann erst als Soldat. Er sucht vor allem die Verständigung mit dem Feind, er ist ein charismatischer Führer, mit sehr menschlichen Zügen und einem guten Kern, der an den Dialog mit dem Feind glaubt.

Für die sehr gelungene Musik des Films wurde Harry Gregson-Williams (Mann unter Feuer, Shrek 2) engagiert. Am Anfang des Filmes gibt es noch einen kühlen Sound eines Violinen-Ensembles für die trostlose, kalte Atmosphäre in Frankreich. Sobald Bailan nach Jerusalem kommt wird die Musik exotischer und in den Schlachten gewinnt sie stark an Dynamik und untermalt somit jede Stimmung des Films wunderbar.

Äusserst gelungen sind vor allem auch die Schlachten. Dazu zählen zum einen die Schlachten auf offenem Feld. Diese sind schön und spannend inszeniert, nicht so verwackelt wie man es vielleicht aus Troja kennt, wo kaum etwas zu erkennen war. Auch hat man sich bei der Gewaltdarstellung nicht zurückgehalten. Diese wird dem Zuschauer schonungslos vor Augen geführt, allerdings kommt dies dem Realismus zugute und ist ein Mittel zum Zweck.

Der Angriff der Moslems auf das belagerte Jerusalem dagegen ist die Krönung des Ganzen. Truppen von tausenden Soldaten, die mit Belagerungstürmen auf die Stadtmauern zugehen, Rammböcke gegen das Stadttor verwenden und mit Katapulten die Stadt unter Beschuss nehmen: Das ganze erinnert sehr stark an den 'Herrn der Ringe 3' und die Schlacht um Minas Tirith. Ridley Scott hat diese Schlachten aber gekonnt in Szene geworfen, sie sehen optisch einfach fabelhaft aus, die Spezial Effekte sind sehr gut gelungen und die musikalische Untermalung sorgt für viel Spannung dabei.

Nach all diesem Positiven gibt es eigentlich kaum etwas zu bemängeln. Was aber vielleiht leicht zu bemängeln wäre sind die Emotionen bzw das Gefühl für die Darsteller, die hierbei etwas fehlen. Man erinnere sich zB. an 'Braveheart' und die Gefühlsstärke, die dieser erzeugte. Man litt und fieberte immer mit Mel Gibsons Figur mit. Auch in 'Gladiator' empfand man Mitgefühl für die Figur von Russel Crowe als Maximus, bangte darum dass dieser seine Rache erfolgreich ausübte. In Königreich der Himmel aber fehlt diese Bindung zu den Charakteren etwas, der Zuschauer fiebert nicht so sehr mit den Figuren und deren Schicksal mit, da wäre eventuell mehr möglich gewesen.
Allerdings ist dies auch nur ein kleiner Aspekt der nicht schwer ins Gewicht fällt, allerdings am Rande erwähnt werden sollte.

Fazit: 'Königreich der Himmel' ist ein sehr guter Film, der sich vor allem optisch klar von der Konkurrenz abhebt. Die Schlachtenszenen waren seit dem 'Herrn der Ringe' nicht mehr so schön zu sehen wie es hierbei der Fall ist und auch die Musik ist gut gelungen. 'Königreich der Himmel' ist in jedem Fall mehr als empfehlenswert.

Für viele weitere Informationen siehe auch das Königreich der Himmel Special zu Begriffen, Personen, historischen Fakten und kulturellem Umfeld der Kreuzritter.
Und für Fotos zu 'Königreich der Himmel' siehe unsere Preview mit vielen Bildern

Kritik geschrieben am 19.04.2005 von Sebastian Stumbek

from MOVIEREPORTER

Can somebody translate this? My god. I don't understand a word.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
In Valinor

Direct translation from babelfish:
Quote:
' are without fear in the face of your enemies. Are courageous and upright. Speak the truth, even if this means your own death. Protect the defenseless ones and do no injustice. That is your oath... '

Balian (Orlando Bloom), a simple schmied (blacksmith?), has woman and child lost and over it almost also its faith. The religions-Krieg (Holy War aka Crusades), which burns in the far holy country, seems to it far. It is pulled in nevertheless into the events of this immense drama. In the midst of the splendor and the plots of the medieval Jerusalems he falls in love, grows up themselves to a leader and uses at the end all his courage and his abilities, in order to defend the city in situation offering no prospects. The fate overtakes Balian in form of the legendary Godfrey of Ibelin (Liam Neeson), a kreuzritter, who is briefly from its fights in the east returned home to France. It reveals the surprised Balian the fact that he is its physical father and carries it forward on a journey by the continents into the sagenumwobene holy city.

In Jerusalem Baldwin IV, supported from its advisor Tiberias (Jeremy Irons) at the time - between the second and third crusade - fragile peace, only to the efforts of the wise Christian king, prevails and which is to be owed military restraint saying of the umwobenen Muslim leader Saladin (Ghassan Massoud). But Baldwins days are counted, and accumulations of Fanatismus, greed and jealousy among the cross drivers endanger the armistice. The peace vision of king Baldwin - a KINGDOM of the SKIES - divided of a handful of knights, under it Godfrey of Ibelin, which swear, to defend the idea with their life and its honour. When Godfrey passes the sword on to its son, he transfers thereby also the holy oath to him: To protect the helpless ones to protect the peace and use themselves for the harmony between the religions and cultures, so that a kingdom of the skies on ground connection can be established. Balian seizes the sword and goes into history...

' kingdom of the skies ' (' Kingdom OF Heaven ') is a very picture-enormous film. The beautiful landscapes of France or above all the desert landscapes are around Jerusalem: an eye pasture for the spectator is always dargeboten. In addition also the very beautiful camera focusing and travels come by the city Jerusalem or in the midst of the battles. The city Jerusalem looks also marvelous and was perfectly animated. All kingdom of the skies emphasizes clearly from the mass. Earnings/services its been entitled naturally Director Ridley Scott, its handwriting are to be recognized clearly. Already with Gladiator it has like a film to look proven has, which was even also an optical masterpiece. All produced altogether a very beautiful style, almost any attitude for itself is to be regarded more than prettily, other battle films like e.g. Troja pull here in the comparison completely clearly the shorter ones. The actors make also a very good contribution in the film.

Everything Liam Neeson, that from the crusades to France Balian around its son, which he saw never before, returns in front and which developed from an affair to carry forward. Schauspielerisch has Neeson far the nose in front, unfortunate only that its role was temporally scarcely limited. Also Jeremy Irons carries out a good schauspielerische achievement starting from as military advisors of the king Baldwin, which always tries, a war to prevent and of it desperately. Orlando Bloom in the main role of the Balian and the EH Green (' the dreamers ') as a princess deliver a solid and tidy achievement, however also nothing unusual. Which will be probably not conscious the spectator: Also Edward Norton is thereby in the role of the king Baldwin. However one does not recognize this, there he a mask carries around its face to hide that is disfigured by its leprosy illness.

With the production of history around the crusades Ridley Scott before a completely special problem stood. As both sides, both the Christians and the Muslims, should as be equivalently represented, none of the two sides should the bad be put. This succeeded to Ridley Scott also marvelously. One predominantly experiences history from the point of view of Balian, which belongs to the Christian side, however is not real the attacking Muslims the bad ones. Thus the Muslim leader Saladin (Ghassan Massoud) is explained primarily as a statesman, then only as a soldier. It looks for above all the communication with the enemy, it is a charismatischer leader, with very human courses and a good core, which believe in the dialogue with the enemy.

For the music of the film very much succeeded Harry Gregson Williams (man under fire, Shrek 2) was engaged. At the beginning of the film there is still another cool sound of a violin ensemble for the hopeless, cold atmosphere in France. As soon as Bailan after Jerusalem comes the music exotic and in the battles wins it strongly at dynamics and under thus each tendency of the film marvelously.

Extremely above all also the battles succeeded. In addition the battles on open field count on the one hand. These are not beautiful and excitingly produced, as blurred as one it perhaps from Troja know, where hardly something was to be recognized. Also one did not hold back oneself during the force representation. This is led the spectator relentlessly before eyes, however this benefits realism and is a means for the purpose.

The attack of the Muslims on the besieged Jerusalem against it is the coronation/culmination of the whole one. Troops of thousands soldiers, who happen with siege towers on the stadtmauern, use ramming supports against town-gate and take with catapults the city under bombardment: The whole reminds very strongly of the ' gentleman of the rings 3 ' and the battle around Minas Tirith. Ridley Scott threw these battles however skillfully in scene, looks optically simply marvelous it, specially the effects very well succeeded and the musical Untermalung provides for much tension thereby.

After all this positives it gives to actually criticize hardly somewhat. Which would be to be criticized however much easily is the emotions and/or the feeling for the actors, who are missing here somewhat. One e.g. remembers ' kind of good marriage ' and the feeling strength, which this produced. One suffered and had a temperature always with Mel Gibsons figure also. Also in ' Gladiator ' one felt sympathy for the figure of Russel Crowe as Maximus, feared for that these its revenge successfully exercised.

In kingdom of the skies however this connection is missing to the characters to something, the spectator has a temperature not so much with the figures and their fate also, there would have been possibly more possible. However this is also only a small aspect not heavily in the weight falls, however at the edge to be mentioned should. Result: ' kingdom of the skies ' is a very good film, which stands out above all optically clearly against the competition. The battle scenes were no longer as beautiful since the ' master of the rings ' to see as it here the case are and also the music succeeded well. ' kingdom of the skies ' is more than recommendable in each case. For much further information see also the kingdom of the skies Special to terms, persons, historical facts and cultural surrounding field of the kreuzritter. And for photos to ' kingdom of the skies ' see our Preview with many pictures
Maybe Naz can clean this up better.
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
sebastian

That babelfish Translation looks really awful and shows my review in a really ridiculous way ^^
It would take too much time to translate it all but i can sum up the most important points:

-Kingdom Of Heaven looks really great! The landscapes are beautyful, Jerusalem is perfectly animated and and the whole cinematography looks awsome. You can see immadiately that Ridley Scott was on board
-The Actors also did a good job. Liam Neeson did the best acting in the movie but he just had a supporting role. Orlando Bloom's acting wasnt outstanding, but he did it well and you orlando-fans will be more than satisfied.
-very good Soundtrack by Harry Gregson-Williams
-very good combat scenes, they remember on Lord Of The Rings, they are really thrilling and well shot with very good special effects
-the only thing i kinda missed in kingdom of heaven was the point that there could have been more emotions like Braveheart or Gladiator had, you didnt care that much for the characters like you did for mel gibson or russel crowe, but thats ok because the rest of kingdom of heaven is great

all in all a great movie, watch it

Last edited by sebastian; April 19th, 2005 at 08:53 PM.