Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly

Old March 31st, 2005, 04:23 AM
Bewitched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene
Interesting.Do you think website reviewers are less knowledgeable or educated than reviewers that work for magazines and newspapers? Do websites take these things less seriously and hire people to write reviewes based only on their interest in movies in general?
Perhaps these questions make me seem ignorant,but I've seen a lot of reviewes where the critic obviously doesn't "get" the movie or even the genre of the movie in question at all.
It's just very annoying that people like that can "decide" for people what to like and not to like,that's all.
Well, the guy who wrote that NK review lists as his credit that he's a member of the "Online Film Critics Society" (which you can find more about here ). It's an offshoot of rottentomatoes.com. and members aren't "hired" ... from what I can see from their info page, they only have to write a lot of online reviews to get into this group. I don't know anything about this guy in particular, but my comment was elicited because there are so many wannabe film critics out there (a la the college kids who write for AICN after seeing sneak previews) who fancy themselves important, with something of value to say ... and many of them are just fanboys with impressive websites. So I'd say, take online reviews like this with the usual grain of salt. And consider the source.

These guys don't like Orlando ... maybe because they think he's not "manly" (like our little Kiera keeps running around saying to interviewers of late ) ... maybe because their girlfriends (if they have any) think he's "dreamy" and they're jealous ... who knows why they trash him so liberally? Maybe it's because they all idolize actors like Bruce Willis and Steven Seagal and Johnny-Anaconda-Hunter.

Quote:
But Ned Kelly is a movie you need to concentrate to understand and like,I think. It's very true to style and they haven't made shortcuts except for the Naomi Watts part.That is why it gets better after second and third (And more! ) viewings,IMO.
If one takes the time to really watch it,it is a very captivating film
I agree with you ... and this fella's criticism misses the point that this particular film was based on Drewe's "Our Sunshine". It really was!... and closely so. A friend of mine sent me a copy of the book and I was amazed at how much the flavor of Drewe's novel was there on film. The whole narrative was a sort of stream-of-conciousness speech from Ned's POV and it really did come off very much as the mutterings in his head - just like the film. A lot of the dialog was straight from the pages (although they gave some of it to other characters in the film).

This Croatian film critic had read up on his Oz history, but he was apparently looking for some other kind of treatment of the Kelly Gang's story than an adaptation of a specific book. He seemed to think it failed as some sort of mythical rendition of the Aussie icon. I don't know what he wanted it to be, but it was what it was ... a stylized, artsy kind of film based closely on a historical novel. If it had a "relatively high budget", not much of it went to promotion or distribution, that's for sure... especially not here in the States.

I agree with you that a lot of creedence is given to these online guys who "review" and offer opinion of films on the web that shouldn't be given them. Of course they're entitled to their opinion of films and performances, as we all are ... but it does seem that many of them have it in for Orlando and enjoy trashing his films. NK was a small film done in a particular style and it did require a lot from the viewers. Maybe it was too sophisticated for this guy to bother with ... to each his/her own. I've come to enjoy it for what it is.

I think O.B. did a subtle but fine job as Joe Byrne ... I agree Heath was less than stellar as Ned (but to cut him some slack, he was going for a character based on still photos and the look in Ned's eye - or so he said at the time) ... and I'm sorry so many people were disappointed that NK wasn't a blockbuster. I still enjoy my DVD and will still watch it on cable and I reckon many others of you will, as well. I don't care what the pseudo-critics think. And it doesn't seem to have hurt Orlando's career much to have it on his CV, now has it?

Old March 31st, 2005, 09:04 AM
Malene

Thanks for writing such a great reply to my post,Nin! I figured the "deal" with these so called reviewers was like that.And the thing is,it's almost always guys who want to be important and think their opinion matters.It would be more balanced if more women were out there discussing and reviewing movies.And I don't think it's just these guys who "have it in" for Orlando.The downright hysterical response he's getting from women everywhere must on some level get to most men. That's just the way they're made.

And I agree that NK won't hurt his career at all.The only movie that may have hurt him a little is Troy.Not because of his performance,but because it was all in all pretty much ridiculed by a lot of people,and he was also portraying the character in it that was easiest to ridicule.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM
Queenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malene
The only movie that may have hurt him a little is Troy.Not because of his performance,but because it was all in all pretty much ridiculed by a lot of people,and he was also portraying the character in it that was easiest to ridicule.

And because he had such crap lines to say!!
And because Diane Kruger was not that convincing as Helen either.

Hopefully with Kingdom and Elizabethtown coming out, critics will see him for the actor he truly is and then maybe they will be able to go back to Ned Kelly and give him the credit he deserves for it. It was one of his best roles to date.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:22 AM
daydreamer58

For me, I thoroughly enjoyed Ned Kelly from the very start. I didn't need to have it grow on me with multiple viewings. The film, even though it could have been better, is a decent telling of the Kelly Gang story. And Orlando as Joe Byrne was spot on. I didn't see anything "off" or wrong with his performance. I even liked Heath Ledger's performance too. I especially love the music, the soundtrack CD is one of my favorites. As for the "critics" writing in many of these online movie & entertainment sites, I usually do take what they post with the appropriate grain of salt. I agree that most of them, judging by their general poor reviewing skills & peppered with liberal uses of four-lettered words to highlight their points, are just college kids who gained access to these sites and were invited to "critique" movies with little understanding or appreciation of what they're writing about. I hardly pay much attention to these types of so-called "reviews".
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM
OBsessed

So it wasn't just me?

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with reviewer's opinion.

But that doesn't make me love Orlando any less.

Old April 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Luthien

Sky Movies review

The Sky movie site that is running the competition to win a ticket to the UK premier of Kingdom of Heaven is also reviewing Ned Kelly which is showing on Sky. Here is link
http://www.skymovies.com/skymovies/a...320054,00.html
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Mrs. Brian Epkeen

My friend recorded it earlier when it came on cable and we watched it tonight for the first time. I wasn't expecting much from it because of what it was about and mainly wanted to see it just for Orli, but I thought it was a fantastic movie with wonderful acting from all the cast. Ebert and Roeper are obviously tasteless, poo-brained fools!

Gorgeous avatar and signature by erendira!
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Elle_4You

I was really surprised this movie would get even 1 bad review. I loved it and have watched it more times than I can remember. I agree with most of what's already said here, besides people going on about the beard. To be an actor is not about being your most gorgeous, and the way the actors looked in this movie was perfect for the feel of the whole movie and the time in which the story takes place.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM
besotted with buttons

"Rachel Griffiths is also wasted in the small but embarrassing role of sex-starved English middle-class wife."
oh but she wasn't! neither wasted nor english- but then maybe the sex starved bit clouded his judgement

She was scottish in fact, which is relevant to the history of the place, but then this is a film needing some degree of thought, much like KOH

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
besotted with buttons

Guardian (UK) Review

Guardian Review

Found this when i was looking for more articles about the escape of Dan Kelly and Steve Hart fron Glenrowan. Is an old review but well thought out and interesting..

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction

Last edited by nuit; July 3rd, 2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
luv4ever

i just watched ned kelly earlier. thanx nuit. very interesting.
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Just Another Freak

Interesing article. Thanks nuit.
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:34 PM
The Errant Star

This is the only review I mostly agree with.