Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly

Old March 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
In Valinor

Ned Kelly reviews

Well, apparently Ebert and Roeper did not like Ned Kelly, here's the link to their page where you can listen to their audio of the review.

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...er/040329.html
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Threthiel

Well :shithapp: on them! Seems like they really didn't like anything they reviewed this time. I haven't seen it and I already like it, so what do they know. ok, fangirl rant over.
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Eowirethien

i think it sucks but im a teenage girl who dosent like all the manly-ness of of the movie lots of gore too but 2 really hot guys and two slightly cute guys!
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Idril_Nenharma

ah orlando and heath look so hot in ned kelly but i hate the beards!
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:22 PM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf Lady
Well, apparently Ebert and Roeper did not like Ned Kelly, here's the link to their page where you can listen to their audio of the review.

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...er/040329.html

Pfhuh! Well pox on them! There is no accounting for taste and clearly they don't have taste. I will admit that at first I thought...nah not going to be that good, but once I watched it, it was fantastic and is fantastic and well...I think we should go hunt some Ebert and Roeper

Angel
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:40 AM
In Valinor

From International Herald Tribune Online:

Quote:
The New York Times
By Zack Snyder (U.S.)

<snip stuff about another movie>
Though the flora, the fauna and the accents may be exotic, "Ned Kelly," the story of the 19th-century Australian outlaw - directed by Gregor Jordan and drawn from the novel "Our Sunshine" by Robert Drewe (rather than on Peter Carey's more recent version) - has the look and feel of a classic Western, as well as some of the genre's limitations.
In Jordan's movie, from a screenplay by John Michael McDonagh, Ned (Heath Ledger) embodies the myth of the honest man driven to criminality by injustice. As a young man he is imprisoned on a false charge of horse stealing, and his hardworking family is subsequently harassed by corrupt law-enforcement officials. By the time he takes up bank robbing with a makeshift gang of loyal confederates, Kelly is like a cross between Pretty Boy Floyd and Spartacus, the bandit as social revolutionary and champion of the oppressed.
Despite an ever-growing bounty on his head and legislation allowing any citizen to shoot him dead with impunity, the hard-bitten Irish ranchers and laborers of Victoria instinctively side with Ned against the territory's hated constables.
The climactic shootout becomes an especially bloody engagement in a continuing class war. The officer charged with bringing Kelly down, a fish-eyed counterinsurgency expert played by Geoffrey Rush, makes this plain when he tells his men that Kelly's survival threatens not only lives and property but the stability of the state.
Jordan's ambition - to turn Kelly's short, violent life into a political parable - is admirable, but "Ned Kelly" falls short of realizing it. The storytelling is choppy and abrupt, and the filmmakers rely heavily on voice-over narration to announce themes that are never brought to dramatic life on screen. Ledger, his heartthrob charisma camouflaged behind a heavy beard (and, at the end, behind a makeshift iron mask), gives a stiff, hesitant performance.
The film, shot in somber faded tones by Oliver Stapleton, revels in period details and in the harsh beauty of the Australian landscape, but the characters threaten to fade into the background.
Rachel Griffiths has a jumpy cameo as a proper lady who wants to be a Kelly gang groupie. Orlando Bloom, as Kelly's loyal sidekick Joe Byrne, upstages Ledger in nearly every scene. Naomi Watts, who plays Ned's aristocratic and clandestine love interest, brings a golden radiance to an underwritten part.
The sentiments undergirding "Ned Kelly" are undeniably noble. There is a potent national epic struggling to find expression here, but this movie is too rushed and fragmented to do it justice.
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Threthiel

I knew that he would upstage Heath. Heck we all knew that and alot of havn't seen the movie yet!

Thanks for posting this EL.
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Angel_of_the_West

Quote:
Orlando Bloom, as Kelly's loyal sidekick Joe Byrne, upstages Ledger in nearly every scene.
That's our boy! *proud *

Angel
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Elements

Oh course he does! Go Orlando!
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Pixie

That's weird because Ebert and Roeper (top critics) taught the movie sucked and gave it two thunbs down .... Everyone has their own opinion, I guess...
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_luva04
ah orlando and heath look so hot in ned kelly but i hate the beards!
They do look hot! But the beards are TERRIBLE!!!!!!! Orlie looks better clean shaven!
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Maximisses

It's interesting to see all the mixed reviews about the movie. I really thought that the story of Ned Kelly was done very well. I don't think it could of been done any better than what it was.

However I have always thought that the movie wouldn't appeal to people outside Australia due to alot of movie-goers not knowing about Ned Kelly or Australian history in general.

So it's hard for me to tell wether reviewers are dishing the movie because they thought it was bad, or because they cannot relate to the movie because of historical content that they may not be familiar with.

Living in Victoria and working a block away from where Ned Kelly was hung, I can tell you we are very, very proud of the film. I might be biased, but Victorians are very, very passionate about Ned Kelly and the influence he has had on the Australian psyche.

I thought Health Ledger did a brilliant job (The producers wanted Russell Crowe first, but he was unavailable!) as Ned.

However I do agree with most reviewers who claim that Orlando stole the show. He is just so charasmatic.....

I hope alot of people will go and see it if they can. It really is Orlando's best work so far.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:35 AM
besotted with buttons

i think it is fantastic too, and not just because of orlando. The story is just so poignant and dramatic-the fact that it is a true story just makes the film sizzle even more. You lot are right to be proud of him
i think you are right that many people may not identify at first because they haven't heard of ned Kelly, but it stands up there with the best. the film also has those amazing shots of the landscape and nature which give a timless and more arty feel- i know some people think that the character development is not quite up to scratch in the film, and whilst i think that maybe true, the inclusion of the landscape and nature just gives the whole lot a permanence and stability that would have been missing otherwise
i am on a one woman mission to make as many people as possible borrow my DVD- just have to have it back quickly

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:23 PM
SherinaSue

I have the movie on DVD, (even though it really isn't out here yet,) and I do like it- I get the feeling that Joe did what he felt he had to do, even though it was so hard for him! I didn't know much about Ned Kelly before, but I live near the home of another famous outlaw, so I know the deal about local legends. (Jesse JAmes is from very near here, my Father is a tour guide for his estate.)

P.S.- When I went to the store to buy a real copy, they aksed if I meant the one with MIck Jagger- aparently he did a Ned Kelly film in the early '70s. Anyone seen it?
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:19 AM
GREENLEAFS LADY GALIEN

*Holds ears* NOT LISTENING< NOT LISTENING!
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Rozzan

You are right to be proud of it. I think Ned Kelly is a brilliant film. I didnt much like it on first viewing, possibly because ofthe violence and i had to get used to those soft irish accents and had to strain my ears... but now I have watched it at least 14 times and it is awesome. I get more out of it each time i see it. I love the way it is shot in those beautiful soft colours and i love the nature and landscape. I think all the actors did a great job. loved Heath as Ned but agree that Orlando as Joe Byrne is perfect. I think this is his best role so far too. It is an incredible, subtle and beautiful performance.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:46 AM
daydreamer58

Killer Movies Film Review

From KillerMovies.com, dated March 16, 2005:

Quote:
Ned Kelly Review
by Dragan Antulov (dragan DOT antulov AT st DOT tel DOT hr)
March 16th, 2005
A Film Review
Copyright Dragan Antulov 2005

Australia appears to have relatively short and uneventful history compared with other parts of the world. Yet Australians share one trait with all other nations – tendency to transform certain historical figures – deservedly or undeservedly – into mythical large-than-life figures. One of those men is a subject of NED KELLY, 2004 Australian historic drama directed by Gregor Jordan.

The plot of the film, based on the novel OUR SUNSHINE by Robert Drewe, begins in 1870s Victoria, British colony where many Irish immigrants tried to find the new life and escape the poverty of their old country. But, just as their countrymen in Ireland, they were subjected to the brutal British rule, embodied in thuggish police force. Ned Kelly (played by Heath Ledger) is son of one such family. Years of feud with police erupt during the incident that would lead to his mother being arrested and Kelly himself being falsely accused for shooting at police officer. Kelly and couple of his friends escape to the bush and become outlaws, kill policemen sent after them and later start impressive career of bank robbers. Their exploits, which include burning of bank mortgage documents, capture imagination of the impoverished masses and Kelly becomes a folk hero. With British rule in Australia threatened, authorities send experienced police official Francis Hare (played by Geoffrey Rush) to lead massive manhunt.

Life of Ned Kelly was short, violent and, despite some historians trying to describe his life of crime as some sort of anti-British revolution, it didn’t affect Australian history much. But Ned Kelly’s impact to the culture of young nation turned out to be enormous. More than a century later, Ned Kelly continues to be one of Australia’s most recognisable icons. Therefore, it isn’t surprising that life of Ned Kelly used to be popular subject among Australian filmmakers from the very beginnings of Australian film industry. 2003 film by Gregor Jordan is most likely not to be the last one made about that larger-than-life figure.

The reasons why another generation of Australian filmmakers will try to make their own version are in the more than apparent flaws of Jordan’s film. While John M. McDonagh’s script should be forgiven for taking the one-sided and simplistic portrayal of Ned Kelly, director Jordan fails to deliver a film worthy of such mythical figure. Despite relatively high budget (for Australian standards) NED KELLY looks like glorified TV movie. The cast, despite being impressive on paper, leaves much to be desired. While Heath Ledger is passable as Kelly, presence of Orlando Bloom in the role of Kelly’s friend Joe Byrne is annoying – an obvious attempt to increase film’s box office chances by attracting Bloom’s female fans. Talents of Naomi Watts in the standard and completely unnecessary role of Kelly’s romantic interest are wasted – the actress fails to produce any on-screen chemistry with Ledger, despite two of them being a real-life couple. Rachel Griffiths is also wasted in the small but embarrassing role of sex-starved English middle-class wife. Even more disappointing is Geoffrey Rush in the role of the film’s nominal chief villain.

Although, NED KELLY is a film that definitely won’t share the immortality with its protagonist.

RATING: 3/10 (+)

Dragan Antulov a.k.a. Drax
http://film.purger.com
Film Reviews in Croatian/Filmske recenzije na hrvatskom
http://draxreview.blogspot.com
Draxblog Movie Reviews
http://www.ofcs.org
Online Film Critics Society

More on 'Ned Kelly'...
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Passionate about the Elf

Ouch! Thanks, Daydreamer.

Mirk
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Just Another Freak

Aw what? That is my favorite Orlando movie by far. I think that he did a great job playing Joe Bryne. (Plus, his speaking Cantonese was just hot.)

Well, I'm a member of the Killer Movies Forums and I'll tell you one thing, there are a lot of Orlando haters there. So, I wouldn't read too much into this.
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:59 AM
frogglez

I'm Australian and very familiar with the story of Ned Kelly, and while I enjoyed the movie, I was disappointed with how disjointed it was and the feel of it. I thought Orlando did a good job with Joe Byrne. Especially when Joe has just shot Aaron, and is trying to deal with the aftermath. That scene almost had me in tears.

This line makes me laugh, though - "presence of Orlando Bloom in the role of Kelly’s friend Joe Byrne is annoying – an obvious attempt to increase film’s box office chances by attracting Bloom’s female fans".

Ned Kelly was made very early on in Orlando's career. Most people still don't know who he is, and back when Ned Kelly was made and released, people were only just beginning to recognise him. He had the blonde wig in LOTR, and had a small role in BHD, and that was it.

How could Orlando's inclusion be to entice his female fans? This was well before POTC, when his popularity really escalated.

Maybe the reviewer's girlfriend is an Orlando fan? Might explain his attitude.

Frogglez
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Sazi

I agree Frogglez... when they shot Ned Kelly, most of the fans didn't even know Orlando yet. Was FOTR even showing then? Anyway... I sincerely doubt the director thought about Orlando's female fans while shooting Ned Kelly, it's not even that kind of movie!
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Malene

That reviewer is an idiot.Period.
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:28 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogglez
I'm Australian and very familiar with the story of Ned Kelly, and while I enjoyed the movie, I was disappointed with how disjointed it was and the feel of it. I thought Orlando did a good job with Joe Byrne.
I agree with you, Frogglez. When I first saw the film, the only thing I liked in it was Orlando, and I really only became a fan of his after seeing it (though I already loved Legolas). Heath Ledger's lip-chewing drove me crazy, Naomi Watts seemed really out of place in the story, and I thought it was a very dark film - those scenes of burnt down forest, poisoned water and drinking the horse's blood.

I have seen it again several times since (I have the DVD, of course ), and it has grown on me. But no prizes for guessing what my favourite scenes are!

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Bewitched

I think Ned Kelly is a film that has to grow on you. It's very stylistic, something that many of these website "critics and reviewers" can't understand.

My opinion of it hasn't changed over the months since I first saw it, but I have always thought that Orlando did a marvelous job in the role ... second billing to the widely famous Heath, not just stuck in to draw his fans (which were many fewer then in early 2002 when LOTR was just beginning to be appreciated and O.B. was barely known). I actually thought all the parts were well done except Heath's and Naomi's ... if you ask me, it was her role as the love interest that seemed artificial in the film, although it served as a plot device.

Anyway ... this post is largely to say that Ned Kelly is currently playing on Comcast cable's On Demand feature - which is free to HBO subscribers and available to watch whenever you want. So if any of you have this service and by some strange reason you don't own the DVD ... you can watch it for free on cable any time through 4/17 (I think that was the end date). I did last night ... and enjoyed Joe Byrne once again. Good job.

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Malene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNin
I think Ned Kelly is a film that has to grow on you. It's very stylistic, something that many of these website "critics and reviewers" can't understand.
Interesting.Do you think website reviewers are less knowledgeable or educated than reviewers that work for magazines and newspapers? Do websites take these things less seriously and hire people to write reviewes based only on their interest in movies in general?
Perhaps these questions make me seem ignorant,but I've seen a lot of reviewes where the critic obviously doesn't "get" the movie or even the genre of the movie in question at all.
It's just very annoying that people like that can "decide" for people what to like and not to like,that's all.
But Ned Kelly is a movie you need to concentrate to understand and like,I think.It's very true to style and they haven't made shortcuts except for the Naomi Watts part.That is why it gets better after second and third (And more! ) viewings,IMO.
If one takes the time to really watch it,it is a very captivating film.