Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > Ned Kelly

View Poll Results: Is Ned Kelly Hard to Watch?
Yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Is Ned Kelly Hard to Watch?

I only saw Ned Kelly for the first time after Heath died and then again. Now that I'm 17, I own the movie thanks very much to a friend. However, I can't bring myself to watch it as often as I would KOH or any Orlando movies. I get so sad at the end because Ned died and so did Heath. Orlando distracts me for a while, but it's not the same. Does anyone else find it hard to watch this movie?
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Imagination Rules!

Every one of us for sure. It's raw and hard to live through each time, but doing so honours who they were and what they stood for and what they gave their lives up for trying to achieve. Keeping that in mind makes it bearable, even as the tears slide down your cheeks.

And Heath and Orlando do them well proud.

cheers
Luna

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Awaiting a warrior prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer View Post
Every one of us for sure. It's raw and hard to live through each time, but doing so honours who they were and what they stood for and what they gave their lives up for trying to achieve. Keeping that in mind makes it bearable, even as the tears slide down your cheeks.

And Heath and Orlando do them well proud.

cheers
Luna
Well said Luna. I went back today and saw The Dark Knight (in IMAX) just to see Heath's performance again. It was so good but such a bittersweet thing. But as for Ned Kelly, I prefer to think of Heath sitting with them in Heaven talking about what they did right and what they did wrong in the film. I personally feel that the best way to honor his life is to honor his work. But that is just me.
Snoey
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
besotted with buttons

Absolutely agree with you Luna and Snoey. I can't count how many times I have watched it, different circumstances and company, different moods and purpose, but it always is hard to watch some bits. However I agree, in so doing it does feel like bearing witness in some emotional way, and keeping the flame alive, refusing to let it go. When I was in Benalla standing next to that door where Joe's body was hung it felt like that too. Just shoulder to shoulder.

Of course now there are also parts of the film that I associate with bits of writing that have..errr embellished the story some, there are parts that I think could have been done better, there are parts that make me whimper, and parts that make me giggle. So yeah it is far from endurance test, but along side that it does remain powerfully challenging.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction

Last edited by nuit; August 10th, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Dreamer

I agree with those before me. It is hard to watch and the last time I watched it only a couple of weeks ago I found it very difficult. Maybe because I know and understand more of them and then the loss of Heath just makes it more raw. But it is about keeping the story alive and feeling the emotion that is attached to it so whilst painful and causing many tears it is one of those experiences that uplifts and cofirms as well...

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Gone bush!

As much as I love Heath & Orlando, I havn't watched this film over & over-it's like I didn't have to because the first time I saw it, it was stuck with me. Now when I do see it I always cry a bit more because, for me- Heath is Ned & Ned is Heath...yes bittersweet for sure but I will always watch Heath's movies, no matter how difficult I find it.

RIP HEATH
*Beautiful icon animation by Kat-thanks*
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*
*Thanks to Mata for icon*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
In Love

I look at it this way, by watching the movie and telling others about it (or any movie of any actor who has passed) it is kind of like keeping their work alive. I look at it as one of Heath Ledger's best works and why not share that with everybody? He really captured the role of Ned in my opinion and the fact they both had a similar fate is tragic and kind of in a way ironic to me. I love the movie and it has always been bitter sweet to me, because I always feel this sadness when Steve and Dan die. They knew they had no way out and it was the only way to get peace. The only part for me that is hard to watch, is just after the fire and you see the snake going around the gorund, I am terrified of snakes...yes, that is the only part hard for me to watch. It used to be hard to watch the part where they eat Ned's horse, being a lifelong horse nut, but it was a matter of survival and I know the horse didn't really die ;-)