Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > In Celebration

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:34 AM
Idrillia

Q&A Report - 7/30/07

I went to the Q&A last night and have put together a report type thing! Iíve cross-posted this at ClickOrlando too as I've just joined there and they wondered if I'd post a Q&A report there. I hope thatís okay but I don't mind if this is deleted if it's not. This is also a bit long and again, delete if that's appropriate for a post of this length!

The cast went off after their curtain call and there was a fifteen minute gap or so. When the curtain came back up there were chairs and the sofa across the front of the stage. Orlando sat right over on stage right. He had on a white t-shirt, grey sweatshirt, The Jeans and suedey type boots. Heíd mussed his hair up so it wasnít trapped in brylcreme stasis, which was very considerate and kind of him for those of us who love his curls. He had what looked to me like lime soda/water and sipped at it throughout the session.

My shorthand wasnít good enough to get everyoneís responses so apologies for the focus on Orlandoís input. Anything in square brackets is my comment or note. Shorthand, in the dark, when trying to listen and not fall into chocolate brown eyes is tricky. This is just a combination of my notes and my recollections... please donít take this as a verbatim record! Except for when he said "hoover lips". He definitely said that. There's no way I could ever forget it.

~~~~

Moderator: Most of the cast here are long established stage actors but Orlando of course youíre fairly new to this.

Orlando: Mmm.

Mod: What was behind your decision? [paraphrased]

Orlando: Erm. It was long overdue really. I trained I think it was eight, nine years ago and I was beginning to feel a little bit thin as an actor and in the films. Not that I wasnít enjoying the films [Ö] but I wanted to do some theatre and I met Anne, the director, [Ö] it was originally another play they had in mind which was also a very good play but erm I wasnít really sure about and then this play she said was [Ö] but so I read it and it quite obviously was and so we got into rehearsals [Ö]

~~~~

[There was a brief discussion of rehearsal time. They had 4 weeks. At the National youíd have 6-8 weeks.]

Lynda joked: 6-8 months!

Orlando: Could have done with that actually.

~~~~

Mod: [This theatre also saw a production of another Storey play ]The Changing Room where the entire cast had to appear naked. Unfortunately they didnít tonight.

Orlando: ďI did ask but they said no.Ē [Much, much laughter.]

~~~~

Audience Member: International heart throb, star of the West End [Ö] Tim.. how are you coping with the female attention.

Mod: A question to Orlando Ė how does he cope with all the female attention.

Different Audience Member: No, it was a question to Tim.

Mod: To Tim!

Tim: Yes, it is extraordinary. Whatís been wonderful about this is the fact that Orlando is a huge heart throb and thereís all these young girls come in to see him. And what weíve done is brought in a new audience to watch something that they would never normally come and see. I remember the first couple of nights that we were on the audience was gobsmacked with this play, it was not what they expected to see, so itís been brilliant that weíve done this sort of play with Orlando because itís given a whole generation of young.. girls in particular.. men as well but {laughter} There were two in last night. But itís given them the chance to see something completely new like a kitchen sink drama like this.

Lynda: And theyíve been marvellous audiences.

Tim: Absolutely.

~~~~

Audience Member: I was overwhelmed by the claustrophobia of the whole piece and I just wondered if it was intense on stage as it was as a member of the audience.

[All nodded and agreed, including Orlando. Tim started the answer off, then Lynda offered that it made them cry in rehearsals.]

Moderator: Orlando.. youíve got one of the most difficult roles because itís quiet.

Orlando: I thought that was going to be easy actually. Erm yeah, itís been quite a challenge [Ö] Thereís a whole load of emotion there and there has to be some release which can be a quite painful process [Ö] and itís just all the way through, the emotion is.. palpable you know. Thankfully Iíve got a great cast with me to work with and thereís a lot of support there..

~~~~

Audience Member: It was just two things really.. First of all I just wanted to say whoever made the decision to put the cheap tickets on for under 26ís Ė thank you. Itís so hard encouraging teenagers to read plays and so having that ability to come here and afford it .. thank you very much.

General Cast : Thank you [and much nodding].

Audience Member: And secondly.. I was just wondering.. the brothers. Obviously itís very intense and Iím still pondering kind of how they felt about each other at the beginning but do you think there are any sea changes by the end about how the brothers feel about each other or are they going to slot back into the relationship that was there beforehand. I donít know if thatís something you feel able to talk about that but I was just wondering.

Paul: I canít speak for the other brothers and I donít want to say too much Ďbeyondí the play if you see what I mean because it treads on other peopleís ideas about the play but I do think that Andrew has come to a point of realisation through his brother [gestures to Orlando] about the nature of compassion and has had to deal with his own crisis so heís definitely taken a step forward in the right direction.

Orlando: I think this is a family that hasnít seen each other for maybe four years which is quite some time so all the information is very new and very vital and I think thatís sort of key to helping trigger the different aspects of the play. We all have to be very present in the immediate play and whatís happening because the stakes are high all the time.

Gareth: [Answers to the effect that Colin will probably go back to his life as if it hasnít happened.]

Kate Lonergan (Assistant Director): Thatís whatís so wonderful about this play is that it sends all sorts of questions.

Orlando: It doesnít give you any answers.

Kate: No answers, and it prompts a debate. So when people come out of the theatre and friends who have seen it together come out and say ďSo what do you thinkís going to happenĒ [Ö]

Orlando: [Mmmms in agreement.]]

Kate: Weíre very used these days to things being all tied up [..] in those days asking the very question was enough. Now we say ďOh Iím like this becauseÖĒ and they didnít then. And itís actually quite a brave play in that it allows debate.

Tim: Hopefully itíll make you want to come back and see it again.

~~~~

Audience Member: Whatís been your favourite moment of the experience so far?

Tim: Rehearsal process [abridged]. Itís very hard work but well worth it in the end.

Moderator: Orlando?

Orlando: I was just trying to think what my favourite moment was. ErrrrÖ I was thinking that itísÖ

Lynda: (leans down to look at Orlando). Eating chicken salad.

Orlando: (laughs) Yeah.. hoover lips. [Canít begin to think what this is a reference too *lol*] Erm Ö Getting to know these wonderful people. Right from the word go itís sort of filled every hope and expectation that I had for the experience. I think it could be a very different experience and itís been [Ö] Iíll be able to move forward as an actor, on film or whatever I do, with a new level of confidence.

Moderator: Would you like to do more?

Orlando: Certainly, Iíd love to. Itís a very challenging process to go through though. Part of it is finding the right play and the right director and you know, itís, you know, itís kind of like lightning in a bottle I think.. Which is like what it is to make a film. Getting the right people together in the right place at the right time. Getting everything to be, you know, the stars aligned so that the show gets off the ground. I thought it wouldnít be that difficult in the theatre and itís proved to be much more difficult than I thought. More difficult than film really because, you know, itís findingÖ. Itís a very challenging process.

Moderator: [Makes reference to the difficulty of finding something fresh for every performance, six days a week, twice on Saturdays.]

Orlando: And Tuesdays!

~~~~

Audience Member: Question to Orlando. I was just wondering what you find most personally challenging, theatre or film, and for what reasons. [I think she must have been so nervous about asking her question that she didnít listen to the previous answer]

[General mutterings of ďHeís just answered thatĒ.]

Audience Member: Sorry..

Orlando: No, no, thatís alright. Theatre is definitely, [Ö] a bit of a mountain [Ö] and I have to keep climbing as it were. Itís definitely been the biggest challenge in more ways that I expected perhaps.

And that was the last we heard from Orlando. Throughout the Q&A Orlando often stared at the ceiling, but must have been listening because he always had something appropriate to offer when asked. He also made eye contact with the people in the audience who asked questions, and really talked to them when he answered.

Itís 3.30am now so Iíll leave it there, but if I remember anything else of import I shall post it!
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:41 AM
nahla

thanks a lot for your report

uhm..by the way...I'm working on a digital magazin dedicated to Orlando do u mind if I publish your report, I will give full credit,of course
In love with my Romeo...

Thank you so much!!!
Searching for the Elf...

thanks too!
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble Idrillia, it's very much appreciated.

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Thank you for your very detailed report, very interesting to read!
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM
besotted with buttons

thanks Idrilla! Good to read.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Thank you Idrilla. great that you took notes and enjoyed the experience. Lucky You. Thanks so much for writing it for us here. Much appreciated.

sig by Nenya Thanks so much....
Leaf-You are everything to me
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Alive...and kicking

Idrillia,thanks a ton sweetheart,you really are our eyes and ears....much apreciated,hon.

Old July 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
wallace

Idrilla - thanks for the great report. Its always special when we read stuff from folks here who have been.

Nahla - would love to see your digital magazine when its done. Would be great to sell it and donate some of the proceeds to global green.
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:53 PM
nahla

when I finish it I will send a copy to anyone who want it :) and maybe someday we can sell it and as u say donate the money to global green,or global cool ^^ that sound really cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post

Nahla - would love to see your digital magazine when its done. Would be great to sell it and donate some of the proceeds to global green.
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Great report, Idrillia !!!
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
NinJa

Thank you so much for that
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Catz

Thanks sweetie for the time and trouble to bring us this.
Very interesting and I am so glad he mussed his hair up for you to enjoy.

Hoover Lips -A mate of mine is a slinky hipped skinny lad but can hoover up an enormous plate of food in the time it takes me to get my knife and fork in the right hands.
xxx
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
wallace

Nahla,
Count me in, and I'd be happy to pay for a copy.
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Shana

Aww thank you so much Idrillia
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:28 AM
nycgal

Idrillia, thanks once again for putting in the effort to keep us informed.

I am always fascinated by the insight of the people who participate in the creative process. Directors and actors don't just read lines; they put in their own spin on things. Oftentimes how they interpret a line is no less important than how the playwright intends it.

I really like what the Assistant Director said about asking questions v. providing answers. In my mind, there is no question as to which is a superior arm form.

From what Orlando said, I get the sense his medium (to long) term focus is still films. Is that the impression you got as well, being there live and hearing everything he had to say? (What does everyone else think?)
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM
wallace

I think now that he has tasted what it is like to be in a play and the schedule, he will go back to the films, but if a good opportunity comes along for another play, I think he'll do that too. He seems to have learned alot from this experience. I can hardly wait to see him in his next film because whatever he learned here, he'll take it to his next role whether its a film or play.

Given all he has done he truly is a Man of all seasons. He's going to be like a good bottle of wine. The older he gets, the better he'll taste - be I mean. Really!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:40 AM
nycgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
I think now that he has tasted what it is like to be in a play and the schedule, he will go back to the films, but if a good opportunity comes along for another play, I think he'll do that too. He seems to have learned alot from this experience. I can hardly wait to see him in his next film because whatever he learned here, he'll take it to his next role whether its a film or play.

Given all he has done he truly is a Man of all seasons. He's going to be like a good bottle of wine. The older he gets, the better he'll taste - be I mean. Really!
I think you do mean "taste"

Guess there goes my hope of seeing him as Hamlet on stage. I was kinds hoping he'd work towards that in theatre. *sigh*
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
wallace

Yeah, I guess I did mean taste. Here I sit with a bad tooth, sipping some wine - and thinking of him.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Eowadia

thank you! that was a nice read!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Idrillia

Just wanted to say you're welcome for the report, and I'm really pleased you enjoyed reading it!

nycgirl: I think it's hard to say what his focus will be from what he said on that night. He seemed to be really enjoying doing the play, but also that it was a difficult process. Kind of ambivalent. He certainly referred to film quite a bit, and that is of course what he's most familiar with... It will definitely be interesting to see what he does next, that's for sure!

Catz: That must be what they were referring to. The ability to hoover up large quantities of food in a very short time. Yes. That's what I thought of immediately