Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > In Celebration

Old July 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Utterly Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyjane View Post
I read a few fan reviews that were negative, complete opposite of what I read so far. I don't know if I can post the review here. I'll link to the journal since it's public, the mods can remove if not allowed. [link removed, sorry] I hope the critics don't feel the same as these people, if so he's going to get slaughtered
I've read it ! I hope the critics don't think like that too !
I'm a bit afraid !

Thank you Nimue for my beautiful siggie and avi !

Last edited by Llyneth; July 10th, 2007 at 03:54 AM.
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyjane View Post
I read a few fan reviews that were negative, complete opposite of what I read so far. I don't know if I can post the review here. I'll link to the journal since it's public, the mods can remove if not allowed. [link removed, sorry] I hope the critics don't feel the same as these people, if so he's going to get slaughtered
Woah, that doesn't sound too good, and the poster is even a fan of Orlando
Maybe her opinion was a bit biased because she also didn't like the play in general? But she said the other actors were doing fine, just Orlondo not so much - so there seems to be some genuine argument.

Well at least we have the first critical review and not only acceptance without any criticism as in other reviews - they were making me slightly sick already

Don't get me wrong, I really wish the best for our man, but I really hate it if people react like he's a god walking the earth and can do no wrong

And I hope it's just her opinion and the critics will see it different

Last edited by Llyneth; July 10th, 2007 at 03:54 AM.
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Eowadia

I couldn't even finish reading that, Babyjane! I couldn't bare it! But I guess everyone has their say right? I hope the critics see Orlando's acting as stunning!

The Orlando Bloom Files' Message Board has a few pics and fan reviews as well

Link: http://www.theorlandobloomfiles.com/...1&postcount=23

Last edited by Eowadia; July 10th, 2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Lilith

thanks for the link!!!!
i'm looking forward to go...i can't resist until august!!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by livdh View Post
I've read it ! I hope the critics don't think like that too !
I'm a bit afraid !
Well there had to be one....

Though how she could describe him as wooden - in particular considering the emotional content of the play - is beyond me.

I loved the play and thought it was moving and very funny.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Catz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post

Well at least we have the first critical review and not only acceptance without any criticism as in other reviews - they were making me slightly sick already

Don't get me wrong, I really wish the best for our man, but I really hate it if people react like he's a god walking the earth and can do no wrong
Hi Honey,
If I thought Orlando sucked I would have said. I may have been gentle in the telling of it but I am not afraid of expressing an opinion that would put me in opposition to the majority.
I've seen Peter O'Toole on stage and thought he was dreadful and I adore that man. I've also seen the acclaimed Steppenwolf theatre company's version of "the Grapes of Wrath" and left at the interval because I was bored rigid.

This play is difficult in that nothing gets resolved, Steven is the "silent" brother not the showier role of Andrew or the more likeable one of Colin, so that can have a bearing on people's perceptions. In my opinion as a punter, Orlando gave a great performance, as did most of the cast. There were a couple of fluffed lines (not from the boys) but at no time did I ever get jolted out of the world that was created on stage by a dodgy accent or crap delivery.

Yes Orlando is very pretty but that alone would not hold my interest without any talent to make him intersting and yes it is possible to read stuff on various boards from people who think he walks on water.

I just wanted to clarify that are some of us about who
a) recognise his mortality
b) are under no illusion that one day he'll see the light and end up in our beds
c) have been to the theatre once or twice before
d)really did enjoy his performance

Cheers
xxx
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
wallace

I agree the play is emotional, but we all know Orlando can handle emotional scenes. We all know too that he was not happy with hsi accent, i.e., the comment about him calling his coach.

But, geez, how many performances has he done? Not alot to criticize him like that!

I'd rather wait for Nuit and the others who are going.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Babyjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catz View Post
I just wanted to clarify that are some of us about who
a) recognise his mortality
b) are under no illusion that one day he'll see the light and end up in our beds
c) have been to the theatre once or twice before
d)really did enjoy his performance
Cheers
xxx
I am proudly not in that group. Just kidding.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Lilith

you are right Catz..i agree with your "4points" ...they are true and straight..
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
arwen_undomiel

But I think it is totally natural that some people like a play and some don't. And if it is proved with some reasons I guess that is fine. One should take under concideration that it is Orlando's first serious theatre performence but on the other hand it doesn't mean that one must like it. I think that the only stupid reason is "oh he's so stupid, such a bad actor, so boring". If somebody says "I guess he didn't go through the journey of Steven's and the emotional scene wasn't what I was expecting it to be" it is fine for me.
His character is a very hard to play and demands a lot of talent. I do belive Orlando can handle it but I guess I need to wait and see it myself on 28th.

EDIT: Btw, Catz I think very well said.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
jcdeppfan87

I think it speaks volumes for him to leave film to spend time on the stage. Its sad he's not given credit for at least trying to grow and work on his craft. So many today are celebrities. He seems to want to be an actual actor with some real skills. Ones that will last beyond the current phase.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
mandy

That review was rather harsh. One of the things I took issue with is the reviewer questioning why Orlando took this role as opposed to a light, fluffy comedy. Although I agree that he does have perfect comedic timing and would love to see him do something along those lines in the future, I do appreciate and respect the fact that he has taken on a part that would challenge him as an actor.This experience on stage can only help him grow in his craft.I think Orlando has the most difficult character to play in this production. The fact that he has to cry on que every single night is not an easy task, especially when he has to call up certain emotions to get to that space every night.

Last edited by mandy; July 10th, 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Lilith

well said jcdeppfan...totally agree with thee...
he is so proud to act in a play,on stage,he said it a lot of times...why can't we just be happy for that? anyway,everyone's got its own point of view...we are not impartical beacuse we see in him a fabolous actor,persom,lad...those who say he's bad in acting may be jealous or haven't seen his movies..
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Gosh - I just knew I would sound like an idiot when I made that post - so far for being able to express myself in english

Catz, in no way I meant your review or any other here on board - I trust you ladies to be able to see the difference between a good and a poor performance etc. My remarks were obviously thrown around too aimlessly - I was simply reading through a lot of other comments on different boards and THERE I got the impression mentioned below. And I had a b!tch of a day, so please give me a break, will ya?

Thus said, I'm with you concerning your 4 points, esp. point b) sounds interesting and I'm planning to enjoy Orlando the play thoroughly

Cheers likewise
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I wish....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Hmm, well in that case my best advice would be to stick close to the theatre, and see if you can worm your way through the crowd to the front. Against the wall next to the corner is actually the best spot - Orlando started from there, the times I was there - if you can get within two people of there you'll get pretty good view. People are pretty good at passing programmes forward to be signed, too.
Thanks a lot kathryn! I will keep that in mind

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Kate_Sienna_Inw

*Au* That review hurts ! But hey, ya can't please everyone, right?! (goes back to the reviewpage and tries to finish it)

I'm curious about it, I'm sure I can be a objective (is that the right word? sorry ) reviewer. I'll have to wait for another 49 days though. Maybe in that time he's getting in his routine and accent, but I hope I'll feel differently when I leave Dukes that evening!

Edit: Just finished it... *swallows a whole bunch of curses and prays it's just a bad review in the other meaning of that therm*

Last edited by Kate_Sienna_Inw; July 9th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:14 AM
SarcasticCheese

What killed me about that negative review is that everyone who posted (well, except for you jcdeppfan87) took this chick's word at face value and now believe he totally sucked.

One of them I even know IRL. I loved the one that wondered if she could get a refund on tickets.

Seriously, some people just can't form their own opinions.

This is the first negative review I read - everything else has been quite positive. And some of them I even felt were not just gushing fan girls.

The impression I got from reading that review was almost that she was posting it just to see what kind of rise she'd get out of people. She posted an abbreviated review at Oh No They Didn't, so were she gets off screaming at you for coming on to her PRIVATE journal, jcdeppfan87, is beyond me.

I'm seeing it in 5 weeks. Whirlwind trip across the pond and back. I have third row seats and with each review I read, I get more excited.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Lady Femme

Goodness I haven't read that review, sounds nasty. Not everyone will be happy
I suppose.

Here's my review. I have posted my encounter with Orlando as well, mods
please feel free to move it if I have not posted in the proper place.

I attended the play Thursday evening. I was lucky enough to have tickets in the third row. Orlando did a wonderful job!

He is the first actor out on stage. He did have quite a few lines. I think he was a bit nervous in the first few minutes but seemed fine after that.

The first part of the play is light hearted while the second part is much more intense. There is one part when the whole cast breaks into song, you have to listen closely to hear him singing.

Orlando played every emotion very well. The audience seemed to enjoy themselves, and the cast came out twice to rounds of applause after the show. Well done!

It was difficult to try to obtain an autograph after the show. He wasn't out for long, but was very humble and kind to the people who did manage to be in front and thanked everyone for coming out and hoped we enjoyed the play.

I also want to add that toward the end of the play, he says "aye" quite a bit. I found that rather amusing.

His facial expressions really are incredible. The crying scene is very intense and heartbreaking to watch.

He does walk around the stage a lot. For those who plan to attend, I recommend sitting to the left side of the stage to be the closest.

One of my friends who came with me is not a fan, but she did say she was very impressed and enjoyed the play very much. I have no doubt Orlando will win over ever the snobbiest of critics.

My encounter.

I did attend the play Thursday but could not even get close. I thought for my last night here, I would
give it another try. A good friend of mine, bless her, put me in touch with another friend who was sweet
enough to take the train with me and get some pics!

We arrived about 2 hours early. The front of the theater was empty with the exception of the security
guards. Had a coffee, walked around a bit, and returned closer to ten. There were about a dozen people
there. We all chatted a bit, very nice people. After the play let out, the crowd grew rather quickly.

My heart was pounding, there was only one person in front of me and we were quite close to where
he comes out. Al, such a trooper, stood behind me camera at the ready. After what seemed like a lifetime,
Orlando finally came out! shock.gif yahoo.gif

He was very sweet, just the nicest person as I knew he would be. He signed for the ladies in front of me,
and I passed my program through. He thanked me for coming and I told him I was from America. He
seemed genuinly touched by this and said "Aww how sweet of you" and asked me if I had seem the play.
I said yes and he asked how I liked it. I said I enjoyed it very much. He said it's a bit different isn't it,
and I said yes but it was great (or something close to that my mind is blurry at the moment), and he
thanked me again.

As others have said before, he really really talks to you, he had his eyes right on me, only for a few moments but even with all the screaming, it still feels as if you are the only two people there. Even when
he stepped aside to sign for others, the fact that he still looked up and kept speaking with me was just
wonderful.

I have to get on a plane in a few hours to go home, I don't think my feet will touch the ground.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM
On a Yellow Slide

I'm sorry everyone, I had to remove the links to the LJ review. Some LJ posters don't like to be linked to without knowing about it, even public posts, so unless it is your own journal or you have specific permission, we don't link to private LJs. Thanks!

Lady Femme, thanks for your review as well! I'm glad you got to speak to him for a moment.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*

Last edited by Llyneth; July 10th, 2007 at 04:02 AM.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
In Love

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but personally, I'm more inclined to listen reviews that are actually critical rather than the ones that seem like they're just worshipping Orlando because he's Orlando Bloom. That LJ review (which I read and commented on) was a nice change to all the praise he's been getting (mostly from those who appear to be fangirls). There's nothing wrong with a fan being critical of his acting skills, because I certainly am. I'm not holding my breath for pleasant Critic reviews though.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:43 AM
jcdeppfan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticCheese View Post
What killed me about that negative review is that everyone who posted (well, except for you jcdeppfan87) took this chick's word at face value and now believe he totally sucked.

This is the first negative review I read - everything else has been quite positive. And some of them I even felt were not just gushing fan girls.

The impression I got from reading that review was almost that she was posting it just to see what kind of rise she'd get out of people. She posted an abbreviated review at Oh No They Didn't, so were she gets off screaming at you for coming on to her PRIVATE journal, jcdeppfan87, is beyond me.
Thanks for the support. I had decided not respond and you did so exactly how I would have handled it. I wasnt even going to bring up the Autism issue. That's an invalid point now.

Anyway, I'm in Texas, so I wont ever get a chance to see it. But I will say again, good for him for trying. If he sucks (whatever that ends up meaning), then I'm sure he's grown up enough to still learn from it.

I will say, I have a bad feel the reviews will be negative just because. Does that makes sense? I dont know why I get that feeling, but I feel the good ones will be overshadowed by the ones going in looking for anything he does wrong.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:01 AM
wallace

I read most of the comments here tonight, and agree and disagree with everyone.

True, everyone has their own opinion, and right to express them. Some may see the play, not like it, and think they wish he did a comedy. I agree his timing in comedy is great.

But, I think too that him taking on a serious role was very important to him, to prove to himself, and to those critics who have tagged him as another heart throb, or an actor who can only act if he has a sword or bow and arrow in his hand. Some folks hated Elizabethtown, and the first time I seen it, I thought it bit the big one, but I have seen it a few more times, and watching the emotion on his face, his body language, I think the film is very good.

I think what bothers me is that this is his first time on the stage since he was in drama school. How many performances has he given four - five? Some of the best actors who appeared on stage, either forgot their lines in the beginning of the play, missed their cue (probably the same thing), or just had an off-night.

If after awhile folks don't like him in the play, or don't like the play, fine. Live and let live, but geez, give the guy a chance.

I can understand what IscarusMalfoy is saying - there are hero worshipers that no matter what he does, they will say he's great, and constructive criticism never hurts, but this just seems to me to be unfair criticism without giving Orlando a chance to get into the groove of the role, and spread his wings.

I read part of the review, and half way threw it out. It just annoyed me simply because I just felt that a.) she doesn't like him, and b.) if he walked on water, she still wouldn't give him a fair shake.

My hat is off to the mods here - you guys do a great job, and trying to keep on posts that are off topic, off limits and such may be a hard call sometimes, but you guys are fair, and run the best forum I've seen for him.

Gotta go cool off before I really lose it.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:05 AM
In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
I can understand what IscarusMalfoy is saying - there are hero worshipers that no matter what he does, they will say he's great, and constructive criticism never hurts, but this just seems to me to be unfair criticism without giving Orlando a chance to get into the groove of the role, and spread his wings.
Just to follow on from that, there are also going to be the people who rip into him and review him poorly no matter what he does and how well he does; they'll just see a pretty face and not look at his other merits. I hope this does go well for him and that the reviews aren't too harsh, but the critics have never been overly fond of him for movies, so theatre critics are probably not much different.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:15 AM
wallace

IcarusMalfoy -

I agree. Some people don't like him, and some adore him. It is like when I hear someone tell me that they don't understand why I think he is a good actor, or praise how well he did in KOH (especially the director's cut), or say I find him to be very handsome. When I'm told he is ugly, I think they need to get their eyes checked. I don't go ga ga over all he does, and think the moustache may be a bit long on the sides, but I stop myself and remember he is doing a role from a few decades back when that style was in.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Catz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
Gosh - I just knew I would sound like an idiot when I made that post - so far for being able to express myself in english

Catz, And I had a b!tch of a day, so please give me a break, will ya?

Thus said, I'm with you concerning your 4 points, esp. point b) sounds interesting and I'm planning to enjoy Orlando the play thoroughly

Cheers likewise
Honey,
I had a bummer of a day too and I apologise if my response was too prickly.
I do know what you mean and you expressed yourself well.

As to point b) I'd probably break him anyway

Enjoy the play and again.

C
xxx