Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > Other Movies and TV shows

Old June 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM
In love with....

The Dark Knight

With Christian Bale and Heath Ledger (RIP).

Old July 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Lost in Kelly Country

Thank you for posting those pics, Bry.

I saw the film today and wow - what a performance by Heath Ledger! He makes Jack Nicholson look like a clown, his Joker is truly chilling and scary. Apart from some problems understanding parts of the dialogue - there seemed to be something wrong with the sound or maybe it was just me - I have no complaints. Aaron Eckhart surprised me (positively) with his performance and I loved Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman. Some breathtaking cityscapes of Hong Kong and absolutely fabulous action sequences. Dark yes, but edge-of-the-seat stuff! You have never seen Heath like this before...

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Can't wait to see this film Friday. Taking the day off to do just that. Thank you so much for posting the pictures Brylyn - they're awesome.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Imagination Rules!

Can't wait....

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Talking

THanks for the pics Brylyn79 and the review Gem! I m looking forward to seeing the movie although these sort of movies are not my type. I guess my main interest is Heath Ledger. They are saying he will definately win an Oscar for his performance. I hope he does. May he rest in peace
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM
mcamp81

....Amazing visual effects. Little story line.

Heath Ledger's Joker will haunt me from this point out. I honestly compare the creepiness of his Joker to the creepiness of Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector. "Let's put a smile on that face." Ew.

Overall, good flick... NOT a kids movie. And it is going to make a KILLING at the B.O. this weekend.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Fantastic movie - I was not disappointed at all. The story line was very frenetic, all over the place like the Joker himself, but it just meant that you never know what is coming next. There were a few slow spots but totally forgivable in my eyes. I agree with mcamp - Heath's Joker is haunting and brilliant.

Spoiler

Definately a two thumbs up for me! Will probably go see this again before the weekend is over.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Gone bush!

I am not going to read the spoiler as I haven't seen TDK yet but here's a pic of Heath as the Joker with the scars, but without the makeup.

RIP HEATH
*Beautiful icon animation by Kat-thanks*
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*
*Thanks to Mata for icon*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:35 AM
X-Ray Boxer Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaU View Post
Spoiler
I saw it today and that was definetly a sad part for me too. Overall it was a great movie, one of the best -if not the best- I've seen this year. To me Heath owned that movie, everytime he wasn't on screen I asked myself "Where's the Joker?". His perfomance will be remembered as the best villain in movie history, at least in my opinion; he was terrifying and funny all at the same time. Some people say his perfomance is getting all these great reviews because of his death, but once you see this movie that thought vanishes; even if he were alive he would have still received awesome critics.

In other wordS- GO SEE IT!!
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Awaiting a warrior prince

I saw this today and I just didn't like the story-line. It seemed all over the place. I love Heath's joker. That psycho laugh was totally creepy! Christian Bale I just didn't enjoy. Batman with a lisp?
I guess I just grew up reading the Dark Knight comics and this just wasn't up to what it should have been for me. Two face was just a distraction and a wasted addition to the storyline.
I loved Heath's interpretation of the Joker. He was excellent in the part bringing out the darkside of him. "Let's put a smile on that face!" *shudder*
Snoey
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
NinJa

Brilliant, brilliant movie Even though Batmans voice annoyed me

Loved every minute of the scenes with Heath as the Joker. He sure scared me a few times, but what a great role that was for him. I'm so glad he got to finish this.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

The Dark Knight

I'm desperately trying to go see that again! I thought I'd be crying over the Joker but I ended up crying over Gary Oldman! I think Heath did wonderfully and he'll certainly be on those Oscar ballots!

I also found Gary Oldman superb as Comm. James Gordon! It was all brilliant and I hope that judging by the end, they make another!
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM
In Love

I just came back from the movies, and I must say I liked it.
I´m not a big fan of these comic movies ... but this one is really good. Heath ledger is great!
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoewhite View Post
Christian Bale I just didn't enjoy. Batman with a lisp?
I really like Christian Bale, but my friend and I found his Batman lisp hilarious. I mean, we remained serious for most of the movie because we both thought it was really good, but then Batman went and got all agitated and the lisp came out and we were
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
besotted with buttons

Well I eventually got to see this and echo a lot of what has been said above, the plot line was a little convuluted, but the actors shone despite it. Gary Oldman was really fantastic I thought, pleading for his son's life and so on, but throughout with a dignity that really had you believe in him. Morgan Freeman of course brilliant. I didn't care so much for Christian Bale, my daughter remarked that he did a great Bruce Wayne, and that summed it up for me, he wasn't quite convincing to me as a torn up 'hero' a bit too controlled.

However Heath Ledger was absolutely stunning, I agree with Gem, kicked Jack Nicholson's into cartoon touch. This was a real man who was without morals nor goodness. What sort of made it for me was that you could see his skin, the freckles on his arms, he kept licking his lips- had mannerisms that made you absolutely aware that he was human and yet capable of such evil acts. And that was why he was so disturbing. I wanted to see him on screen more. Definately one to see again

Thanks for the caps Brylyn and the picture TC X.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Gone bush!

Yes have finally seen this & have to agree with what has already been said. I'm not one for these comic movies either & this is the first Batman type film I have seen...& Batman just annoyed the **** out of me...couldn't hear hardly a word he was saying! The rest of the cast did a great job (love Gary Oldman & Morgan Freeman) & maybe it's just me but Maggie Gyllenhaal seemed totally wrong..mmm.

I thought Heath was amazing, I loved it when the Joker was onscreen, turning up when you least expected it & in the nurse's uniform was just too funny!
Disturbing yes, but definately worth seeing!

RIP HEATH
*Beautiful icon animation by Kat-thanks*
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*
*Thanks to Mata for icon*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

When is the DVD coming out? December?
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

Sorry for the double post. I don't know whether to be sad today or happy. I loved the Dark Knight, but I'm sad because Heath isn't here to know what accolades he has gotten. But then again I love Gary Oldman who plays James Gordon.
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
X-Ray Boxer Vision

The DVD came out yesterday!! I can't wait to buy it!!
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Inspired by him

I just got the Dark Knight DVD. The back cover is hilarious.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Twilight~Eyes

OOohhhh! I loved this movie! I saw it 4 times in the theater and I pre ordered my DVD! Thanks for the pix!
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Passionate about the Elf

I finally got a chance to see TDK. I agree, NinJa... Batman's voice bugged the crap out of me. Since when did he talk in that deep raspy voice? Sounded like he had a sore throat the whole movie

What can you say about Heath Ledger's Joker?
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Curiously Alive

He was fabulous and the Golden Globes got it right, let's hope the Oscars do too. (Batman's voice was awful and some scenes were way too dark, i mean the lighting not the subject matter).

Last edited by gmolster; December 14th, 2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: finish my thought
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Passionately Enthralled

So with the oscar buzz surrounding Heath's performance and what not, not to mention the praise the movie got, I was getting to think it maybe too good to be true, especially since the batman movies never interested me. I was afraid I'd watch it and realize that Heath only got the praise he got because he died and not because his talent shone through. But I finally decided to go ahead and watch it since we had the blu-ray sitting around since before christmas. Boy was I wrong. The movie as a whole kept me on the edge of my seat, really there was no chance for me to take a breather. At one point, I wanted to leave (because I was tired) but couldn't. I had to watch. Lets talk about the performances:
Christian Bale. Amazing. Can't really say I've seen him in a film and not only was he a sexy beast but absolutely fun to watch. Though I do agree that when he was in his batman costume, his voice was pretty annoying and his lisp very noticable.
Morgan Freeman. Always a favorite.
Michael Caine. Great.
Maggie Gyllenhaal. Feh.
Aaron Eckhart. Favorite character. Loved his humor, his charm... his smile By the end, I was excited to see what was next for his character. i really hope he sticks around for the next film which (if you've seen the movie and know how the story goes) he'll probably do.

Now.
Heath Ledger. But first, I have a confession and you'll all be disappointed. I was devastated when Heath died. I couldn't believe it and even after a year, I still can't but.... i've never watched a heath ledger film... no not even Ned Kelly (the only orlando film beside Love and Other Disasters that I have not seen But let me first justify myself. I was waiting for something... Just like Will Smith (whom I a big fan of, now) I was waiting for that one movie that would grab my attention. With Will, it was I, Robot or Hitch whichever came first and after that, I was a committed Will Smith fan. For Heath it'd have to be The Dark Knight (as well as for Bale) I guess I was hoping he'd continue with his career following this movie... But sadly, he did not (I guess I have some work to do)

Now back to TDK. Heath really put his all into this role. He always struck me as the quiet, timid type and to see him in this role (the first role I'd seen him in) was very exciting. I can't say I loved his character. To be honest, I was very scared he'd pop up unexpected. But I'd never been so afraid of a villain in a movie and well... if that's what the job of the joker requires, Heath certainly delivered and delivered again 10 times over. He scared me, made me laugh (numerous times), confused me and made me SOOO MAD! His talent certainly exceeded his years and my expectations of him

The movie in my opinion was flawless. I can't think of anything in the film that bothered me EXCEPT for how pretty Nestor Carbonell's eye/eye lashes are (that always annoys me, even in LOST), but I read somewhere that he definitely doesn't wear eyeliner lol
And even though I wasn't really feeling MG, can't imagine anyone else in the role (but I haven't seen Katie so... )

Will see it like 1000 more times
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
In love with....