Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > Other Movies and TV shows

Old August 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I sat there reading it and no body could pull me away from it, it was quite funny really! Loved the whole thing from start to finish!

And some exciting news, don't know how many of you have heard this but apparently the movie release date has been moved to November after Harry Potter was moved back to summer next year! How awesome is that!

Pirate-x-Girls
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
HisGreenCountry

I heard from many sources that the release date has been moved to November 12!!!! which is so cool!!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Legolas, meleth uired-nin

Location: In a secure, undisclosed location with a certain Mirkwood Prince
Well, with all the talk about this book and the movie I had to go and pick up a copy of the book. It's next on my reading list as soon as I finish "The Historian". November should give me plenty of time to read it.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Isabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieKat View Post
Well, with all the talk about this book and the movie I had to go and pick up a copy of the book. It's next on my reading list as soon as I finish "The Historian". November should give me plenty of time to read it.

This is next on my reading list too, can't wait to enjoy!
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Passionate about the Elf

I finally got 'sucked' into this fandom. *sigh* Like I have time for just one more... any way, went out and bought the 4 books and read them all this past week. I'm getting excited for the movie this November, but I'm not sure RP is the right Edward. I just pictured something totally different when I was reading.

As far as discussing the movies, this is the place for it. As far as discussing the books, though, there is a thread HERE for discussing books we've read. I saw that one before I saw this one. I'm new to all this, so if anyone wants to fill me in on some of their thoughts about all 4 books, head on over to the 'books' thread

Mirk
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
kissing will turner !

i can't wait to see this movie ! (it comes out the 7th of january in france)
i thinik rob pat is perfict as edward

sig set by Nenya thanks darling
i love you William Turner!
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Imagination Rules!

Neither can I Lola, Dec 12 release (my son's birthday) in Oz I believe - amazed Mirk hasn't seen it yet (or has she???) - am awaiting her comments with interest!

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Passionate about the Elf

Nope, still have to get out there and see it. Will probably get out there this weekend, after the Thanksgiving holiday is done and over with. I'll let you know after I see it. I have my reservations about the movie because I loved the books so much and that usually doesn't bode well for film versions, but I'll try to keep an open mind.
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Alas in the UK we do not get Twilight until December 19th. But there is a whole great crowd of us all going to see it on the 20th. Stevenage cinema will be over run! My friend's birthday was the 21st, the release date in the US, and she was in Washington the week before. So she was rather narked that it wasn't a week later! I'm really looking forward to the movie now, but I'm not going to get too excited in case I am disappointed !

Pirate-x-Girls
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

I saw it on opening night. My bff and I waited 2.25 hrs to get into the theater with very loud teenage girls. When Edward came onto the screen for the first time you couldn't hear anything but screaming, lol. I have to say the first time I saw it I enjoyed it, but it's always so hard for me the first time seeing one of my favorite books on screen. I wasn't really sure what I thought. I went back a few days later and saw it again with my mom (who hasn't read the books). I LOVED and it and so did she! I could forget about what would be in or left out form the movie and really get into it. I am going to see it again hopefully tomorrow. One thing I loved is that Rob played Edward more from Midnight Sun than Twilight. I loved that. For those that haven't read the first 12 chapters on Stephenies website, go do so. I love Edward so much more (and who knew that was possible, lol).

Spoiler
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
hugging Nygel and Logan

Going against all my Vampphobia, I went to see this with my best friend without having read the books and ejoyed it enough to see it 2 more times. Of course, I'm a bit biased because Robert PAttinson's in it and I love him, along with Peter C from the Fastlane show. (Short lived, but incredibly funny)

After I watched the film, I read books 2,3,4 in a 2 week period. I absolutely LOVE Jacob (mostly because he talks a lot like me) but can appreciate Edward's POV on Bella. I was disappointed in Book 4 with (I call it) The Last Stand, but I've always been a blood and guts kind of lass.

Anyone heard when New Moon will be out? I'm planning a trip with some friends to see the premiere.
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellas View Post
Going against all my Vampphobia, I went to see this with my best friend without having read the books and ejoyed it enough to see it 2 more times. Of course, I'm a bit biased because Robert PAttinson's in it and I love him, along with Peter C from the Fastlane show. (Short lived, but incredibly funny)

After I watched the film, I read books 2,3,4 in a 2 week period. I absolutely LOVE Jacob (mostly because he talks a lot like me) but can appreciate Edward's POV on Bella. I was disappointed in Book 4 with (I call it) The Last Stand, but I've always been a blood and guts kind of lass.

Anyone heard when New Moon will be out? I'm planning a trip with some friends to see the premiere.
You read books 2,3, and 4? Why didn't you read Twilight? You should, there is soooooo much missing (and changed) from the movie. The book is much better. Also, read Midnight Sun on Steph's website if you can. It ROCKS!

New Moon is supposed to be released November 20, 2009. Filming starts in March with a different director, Chris Weitz. And possibly a different Jacob!

I love that the movie is bringing in so many new fans to the books. I have seen the movie a few more times. I can't wait for the DVD and extras!

Off topic, but did anybody hear the rumour about Robert Pattinson being cast in Pirates 4 as Jack's brother?
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
hugging Nygel and Logan

I tried reading Twilight, but after seeing the movie, Bella's whining annoyed me. So, I gave up.
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Imagination Rules!

Saw it today, finally! Loved it. You can't beat the books, but seeing up on the screen was just wonderful and it was worthwhile. Nicely done and ohh, that kiss.

Bring on the next one!

Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
In love with my Romeo...

I can't wait to see the movie but it won't be shown in Germany before January 15th.

That's not fair!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

I did see Twilight on Saturday and I did LOVE it! Not as good as the books, of course but I wasn't expecting it to be! But a very good adaptation, and I enjoyed it immensly. And I am a little embarressed to admit that I did go and see it in a Twilight t-shirt that had Edward's face on it that was brought back for me by my friend from the states! It is a sexy t-shirt! Was very funny walking through town afterwards with it on!

Anyway, the movie was masterfully directed and the acting amazing! I loved it all, and am wanting to go and see it again! But alas I have no money. Loved it!

Pirate-x-Girls
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Finally got round to seeing the movie this weekend and though I think RP makes a fantastic Edward and that kiss scene was nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggg really good, I don't think the screenplay was very effective. I felt like a lot of the deep bonding between Edward and Bella was lost onscreen, but maybe that's just because the relationship part is my favorite from the books. Still, I liked it enough that of course I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD and gladly pay to see New Moon when it is released.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Imagination Rules!

Yeah, that kiss scene - smoked my boots off!

Old December 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyneth View Post
Finally got round to seeing the movie this weekend and though I think RP makes a fantastic Edward and that kiss scene was nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggg really good, I don't think the screenplay was very effective. I felt like a lot of the deep bonding between Edward and Bella was lost onscreen, but maybe that's just because the relationship part is my favorite from the books. Still, I liked it enough that of course I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD and gladly pay to see New Moon when it is released.
I agree about their relationship. As much as I loved the movie I felt that if you hadn't read the books you wouldn't understand why they were all of a sudden professing their love to one another. I just didn't feel the their intense connection. Although I have to say that from the non readers I have talked to that have seen the movie, there were tons that thought it was an amazing love story and it sparked them to read the books. I was kind of shocked but happy. I do have to say that I felt their biggest bonding/getting to know each other scenes were when they only had music and showed them talking. Like when they were in the trees and in Bella's room. But they could have added a lot more, especially to the car scene on the way home from PA.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Imagination Rules!

Yes, I agree, the car scene was far too short, when it was such a pivotal scene in the book really, the slow dawning realisation - bad editing I thought there, cut off abruptly and way too soon when they could really have milked it a bit. But still, loved the movie!

Old December 29th, 2008, 11:55 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer View Post
Yeah, that kiss scene - smoked my boots off!
Yes ma'am! I think I was leaning in and breathing just as hard as Bella. Edward is just tooooooooo scrumptious. *contemplates yet another addition to the Man Bar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
As much as I loved the movie I felt that if you hadn't read the books you wouldn't understand why they were all of a sudden professing their love to one another.
Yes, exactly! It felt to me like they were just barely starting to date and then all of a sudden you were at the end of the movie. Perhaps the book did spoil me, and if I saw it again I would feel differently.

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
dazzled

I loved the books and went to see the movie last night with my daughter ( also a huge fan of the books ) and .......I was soooooo dissapointed
(ducks to avoid the tomatoes other members are throwing now)
Bella was a good cast , and her father was ok ...but the rest ....
The Cullen family was so covered in make-up it was ridiculous ( please why that dreadful lipstick on Edward) and sorry to say so but there was very bad acting . While the book was subtle , the movie was thicklayered and exagerrated .But ... the landscapes were beautiful !

Ok you can kill me now
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Imagination Rules!

Nah, don't worry, we can't all agree all the time, that would be boring and every opinion is valid, whether you agree or not...Personally I'm still wondering about the whole stunned mullet look that seemed carved into Jasper's face throughout but overall I was happy enough. But you CAN'T beat the books - I think we ALL agree on that!

Is good to hear everyone's take on something like this so don't worry about tomato's, I'm a lousy shot anyway... (watch out for Llyn, though, she has an incredible right hook!)

Luna

Old January 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer View Post
Personally I'm still wondering about the whole stunned mullet look that seemed carved into Jasper's face throughout but overall I was happy enough. But you CAN'T beat the books - I think we ALL agree on that!

Is good to hear everyone's take on something like this so don't worry about tomato's, I'm a lousy shot anyway... (watch out for Llyn, though, she has an incredible right hook!)

Luna
You absolutely cannot beat the books, but then isn't that always the way of it? Movies hardly EVER measure up to par. I think if I saw the movie again I would enjoy it more, without doing all the "is this part going to be in it...wait, they cut that part out" musings. Maybe you would as well, mientje.

I thought Jasper's character was wasted too, Luna...my favorite line of his was NOT in the film! Honestly I don't have any complaints about the cast though, just the writing. OK, except for one part...Edward's initial reaction to Bella in Biology, the whole throwing his hand over his mouth and nose bit I thought was over the top. I'd still sit through that a thousand times to get to the kiss, however. *le sigh*

Anyone else listening to the soundtrack? I simply adore it!

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:41 AM
hugging Nygel and Logan

That's exactly why I don't read the books until after I watch the films. I want to be able to cherish the movie characters, as flat as they could be compared to the book characters. Then, I want the character depth and be able to go as fast or slow through the material as possible. I reread many times to get all the details that I usually miss in the film.

Regardless, I made fun of Jasper during the film, but after I read book 3 I didn't make fun of him any more. I like Jasper, with his big old saucer eyes.

I love the soundtrack, #9 in particular. Jasper looked freaking awesome during that song.