Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > Other Movies and TV shows

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
NinJa

Oh... my... God!

I finally got to see this movie... It was AMAZING. I do not care what the critics said, this was just pure greatness!! If you get a chance, go see it. Was worth the money and time for sure. I did not feel like 3 hours at all, it was that exciting!

And Hugh Jackman... with that whip! I had trouble sitting still!
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Alive...and kicking

Australia premiered in Spain last December 25,but I felt too bad(damn flu...!) to go and see it.But today I´ve seen it...super-huge screen and high quality digital version....did I like it?Yes... has it been what I was expecting?not really...I´m slightly desapointed...
The worst:The screenplay is a bit predictable and there´re a lot of "clichés".
The best:Amazing landscapes,that beautiful,beautiful boy...and THAT BODY!!

Old January 4th, 2009, 03:24 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erendira View Post
...and THAT BODY!!
*moans quietly* I really really need to see that body this soon. Hold on a bit longer, hormones!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Imagination Rules!

I know, I'm not over it yet either Lola - just ... guh... and amazing. Oh to enjoy a little of that...steady Llyn, breathe...

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
NinJa

I am sitting patiently now, waiting for screencaps from various Drover moments.. The looks he gave lady Ashley during the movie. Hot damn!
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Once bitten, twice shy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJa View Post
And Hugh Jackman... with that whip...
As if I didn't already want to see it. Now I HAVE to see it!
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Blackpearl77

I can't wait to see this!
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
NinJa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leowen View Post
As if I didn't already want to see it. Now I HAVE to see it!
Trust me. Hugh Jackman is worth every cent and minute!
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Imagination Rules!

I totally second that sentiment!

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Went to see this with my daughter when she was here over Christmas. She loved it. She has spent some time in Australia and the landscapes and accents brought back good memories. She didn't think it was too long either BUT I didn't enjoy it, for me it was far too long and also boring. Like Erendira I thought the plots were predictable, the story full of cliches and the romance between Jackman and Kidman was identical to a typically bad Mills and Boon novel though it's cheesy similarity to one did make me smile sarcastically occassionally. Also Hugh Jackman is not my type at all, so no thrills there. I might have been interested in the plight of the half aborigine children but have seen "Rabbit Proof Fence" twice which is excellent/unsurpassable on this subject.

Sorry to post a dampener on others enthusiastic response to the film. It wasn't awful (just not great) and the scenery is great of course. Just my opinion and I am probably a jaded old woman

sig by Nenya Thanks so much....
Leaf-You are everything to me
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Once bitten, twice shy

Corinna, I don't think you could improve on "Rabbit Proof Fence". That was really a phenomenal film.

I just love a grand sweeping love story! I can't wait to see it. I have no idea if it has even come here yet. Since there's only one theater on island, sometimes movies play for only a few days midweek and I miss it. I may have to wait for the dvd.
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Imagination Rules!

Rabbit Proof Fence, although I haven't seen it and probably won't, it would upset me too much, is based on the awful, truth and history of what it was really like back then, appalling and I believe, a stark look at the reality with no holds barred.

Australia is a fairytale romance drama humorous war feel good adventure that is fantastic to see on the big screen for the vista and majesty of the land (and that chest) and is not trying to do anything but take you away and entertain you.

I go in with no expectations of any film I see, too many and it ruins it. Hope you get to see it Leo, it's definitely worth a look despite the flaws! Not that I was looking for any, I just wanted to be entertained, and they did that in spades for me.

Luna

Old January 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
NinJa

Corrinna, I dont blame you for not really liking it. My friend I went with didn't particularly enjoy it either. I think it just depends on your taste in different things... there were a lot of cliches and anyone could pretty much predict the storyline, I totally agree

I think I liked it so much for some of the same reasons as your daughter. I lived in Australia for a year and seeing this film brought back some really great memories and a special mood for me. Ned Kelly had the same effect on me. Other than that, I thought Hugh Jackman was stunning and I am a sucker for romantic cliches. So this was a great mix for me

Rabbit Proof Fence was absolutely amazing. A very sad story too but it was worth watching. I've tried to find it on DVD here, but I might have better luck trying the internet!
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Once bitten, twice shy

Watched it last night. LOVED IT. I thought it was hugely entertaining. Nicole Kidman was wonderful. Especially in the beginning, she was hysterical. And Hugh was...*sigh*...so amazing! That little boy had me wrapped around his finger by the end, he was adorable. I loved the cinematography, sort of the 'glory days of Hollywood' style. I don't care that it was predictable, by the end I was just about sitting on the edge of the sofa, practically willing for the ending to be what it was. (Whew! Almost gave it away there.) Anyway, I loved it.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, Leowen. I think 'glory days of Hollywood' is a very apt description. I'm looking forward to the dvd!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Inspired by him

I just watched it on DVD and loved it.
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Imagination Rules!

Isn't it just fantastic? So glad you liked it Fran! (Hey, are you going to join us in the Round Robin??? Would love you to join in!!)

Old September 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Inspired by him

Hehe, Luna, Hugh was just to die for, although I must say he looks much better with facial hair and dirty than in a suit.

(Would love to join in the Round Robin, but I have five assignments due in less than two weeks . Maybe next time.)
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
On a Yellow Slide

I finally managed to watch this myself last night, and I enjoyed it very much. I will say I agree with those who said it could have used a much firmer editing hand...at two hours through I rather thought it should have been cut down by at least a half hour! Visually stunning though, and I don't just mean Hugh's chest. OK, I do mean Hugh's chest. I swear my panties tied themselves into a twist when he poured that water all over himself. My God! So anyway, aside from the Hugh lust, I thought it was a very sad and poignant tale, well worthy of the silver screen. Hugh, Nicole and Daisy were all wonderful, and that boy certainly tugged at my heartstrings. Australia is a gorgeous country. Makes me want to visit Oz all the more.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Imagination Rules!

Yeah, doubt I will ever recover from that chest - man that was hot! Slid off my seat right there in the cinema...

Pity you can't join us Fran, but good luck with all those assignments! Definitely next time then...

Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
In Love

I don't like Nicole Kidman, but I loved this movie! Oh goodness, I saw it on tv over Christmas and bought it the other day. I admit David Wenham as the bad guy was awesome. Is it just me or is the Drover one of the greatest romantic action hereos? Of course I had one problem with this movie, Drover talks about breeding an English Thoroughbred with a Bush Brumby and the horse nut in me kept going...damn it I want to see that horse LOL.