Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > Other Movies and TV shows

Old December 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Alive...and kicking

Australia

ˇHey you,aussies sisters!I´ve just seen this:

http://www.australiamovie.net

It´s sounds pretty interesting,I love Baz Lurhman...(I´ve seen Mouline Rouge a hundreed times...)and Hugh Jackman.... ,and of course Nicole....
But there´s a strange thing...when I saw the trailer,it was a mix of images from another movies(Ned kelley,Moulin Rouge,Cold Mountain....)don´t know why...

Old January 31st, 2008, 12:07 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I haven't seen the trailer yet Erendira, so can't comment on that but I'm really looking forward to this film, not least because I love Hugh Jackman (hi Llyn!) and it sounds like a great story. I bet it will have some stunning landscapes!

~Gem~

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Alive...and kicking

Oh...I forgot about this thread,´cause no one answered... but now I know it was my mistake,there´s not a trailer available yet,so they put that "image collage" for ilustrate the article.
Anyway it could be a great movie,so I´ll be on the alert for any news....

Old November 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I saw Australia today and I absolutely loved it. If you like Hugh Jackman, you have to see this film! Hugh on horseback and kissing in the rain and showing off his torso...

Nicole Kidman irritated me a bit at the beginning where she was really hamming it up but on the whole I didn't mind her too much, although she's not one of my favourite actresses. The young boy who plays Nullah, Brandon Walters, is just beautiful and David Wenham is a wonderful bad guy. And did I mention that Hugh Jackman is absolutely gorgeous?

Parts of the film have a theatrical feel (deliberate I think) but I thought it worked really well. On the whole it really grabbed me by the heartstrings and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried... Would not be surprised to find myself at the cinema watching it again, the three hours went by just like that!

~Gem~

Old November 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Imagination Rules!

Ooooh, I can't wait to see this one (and NOT because Hugh is all naked and oiled up and wet and looking SO sexy and hot and bonkable and...sorry, where was I?) - Twilight and Australia are my next two must see movies - thanks for the 'critique' there Gem!

cheers
Luna

(....and muscley and raw and strong and devilishly handsome and powerful and half nekkid etc. etc.)

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Dreamer

Llyn should be arriving in here any minute now.....

It looked interesting in the bits I have seen about it. Not sure if I will get to the theatre though to see it.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Imagination Rules!

She's probably here already but drooling too much to be coherent...deep breaths Llyn, deep breaths...

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Gone bush!

Sounds purrfect to me Gem!

RIP HEATH
*Beautiful icon animation by Kat-thanks*
*Gorgeous siggy by Nel*
*Thanks to Mata for icon*

*Don't Tell The Elf!*
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Alive...and kicking

Last saturday I went to see "Apaloosa",and saw a huge standee of "Australia",I´m waiting for this movie since I knew they was shooting it....but it won´t be release in Spain till December 26....pitty!it would be niiice to see it for my birthday.... a gift for my eyes....

Old December 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Orlando's Shadow King

I just saw this today! My GOD! That water scene was right at the beginning! I thought I had to grab my popcorn bag and hyperventilate!
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Imagination Rules!

I saw this last night and it's brilliant. Once again, the critics show themselves up for being the complete wankers they are.

This is one of the best films I've seen this year - has everything, humour, adventure, passion, fun, emotion, drama, incredible scenes, brilliant acting, just everything. Go see it, it's different and wonderful.

Luna
xx

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I'm glad to hear we agree on this film, Luna! I've seen it twice now and have already decided to buy the dvd when it comes out. An absolutely beautiful film!

~Gem~

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Imagination Rules!

We overlap sometimes and don't on others and that's called "personality" and makes the world go around, hey babe.

Fab film, and yeah, would love to see it again, certainly worth multiple viewings, if only for that chest...! I am so totally hopeless when it comes to broad, manly, large, did I say broad?, strong, chests....melt.

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Oh jeezus Luna, you are killing me here. You and me both, sister, you and me both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGirl View Post
Llyn should be arriving in here any minute now.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer View Post
She's probably here already but drooling too much to be coherent...deep breaths Llyn, deep breaths...
I think my reputation precedes me...I haven't seen it yet; not a movie I can drag my hubby to so I will either have to sneak off alone, or wait until DVD. Either way I WILL have my wetly muscled Hugh. Just a matter of time. It's too bad the reviews have not been favorable here, despite Oprah's recommendation.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*

Last edited by Llyneth; December 4th, 2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

That's too bad Llyn. My hubby really liked it too - you could always 'sell' it to yours as a western, it would fit into that category and might make it more enticing?

~Gem~

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
NinJa

Thanks for giving this movie the thumbs up, ladies!

I've been offered tickets to go see 'Australia' at a pre-release here in Denmark, but was really in doubt after reading all the bad reviews. I have been looking forward to it for ages, so it was quite a shock to see all those low rates around in magazines, etc.
But I am 110% going to see it now!
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Imagination Rules!

Great Ninja, go in expecting nothing and just let it take you away - and come back and tell us what you think. Enjoy!!

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Unhappy

I saw "Australia" last weekend and loved it! The audience was very receptive, laughing and clapping in all the "right" places. The cast were uniformly excellent, although it really pained me to see David Wenham (Faramir in LOTR) play such a beast. There is something for everybone in this movie---go see it!
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Imagination Rules!

Saw the sad smilie and thought "oh NO..." but glad to hear you enjoyed it - is good isn't it? And yes, kudos to Daisy for doing such a good job of making us loathe him, in his quiet "hmmmm, yeahhhh" kinda way.

Old December 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Orlando's Shadow King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakidd View Post
I saw "Australia" last weekend and loved it! The audience was very receptive, laughing and clapping in all the "right" places. The cast were uniformly excellent, although it really pained me to see David Wenham (Faramir in LOTR) play such a beast. There is something for everybone in this movie---go see it!
Just remember he's a sexy beast and it won't be so bad
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Utterly Obsessed

I saw Australia the other day and I really liked it. I wish the critics would lighten up sometimes. The movie was meant to be an old-fashioned romantic epic and on that level it suceeded.

I thought Nicole Kidman was fine, although she could have been better. She was a bit hammy in the beginning scenes and since living in the rugged frontier, would it kill her to have a little dirt on her face and a few strands of hair out of place? Brandon Walters was a great find as Nullah. And David Wenham was very good as the bad guy(although between this and The Proposition, he is making a career of playing a villian in Australian westerns. )

But I think this was Hugh's movie. While I like Hugh, I never was a big fan of his(I could never get into X-Men/Van Helsing movies). This is definately his sexiest role yet. The cowboy-like clothes, the smoldering looks, that chest. And it was a great acting job too. I wanted to hug poor Drover after the last bar scene.

If I were to gripe about something, I did think the movie was a tad long and could have been shortened by 15-20 minutes without really hurting the film. And the mystical aspects of the movie don't always work:

Spoiler

Overall, I thought this was an entertaining movie and a good one to see around the holidays. And I just found out Hugh was going to host the Oscars. So even if Australia isn't nominated for anything(which would be a shame) at least we'll have Hugh.

Wonderful Siggie made by the late great Leggybelle! I love you Mom and I miss you.

Beautiful Legolas icon made by Nel. Thank you so much!
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Passionately Enthralled

I read reviews of that film over here (It will start at December 25) and I already thought about going to the cinema again after 1 1/2 years absence (PotC AWE was the last film I watched at the cinema. Really! *lol*)

There was that one review saying, "If you don't want to emigrate to Australia after that movie you have never had real wanderlust in your whole life." Oh dear... I guess this will only make my yearning to go to those places worse... But wtf... I adore Nicole Kidman. Not so sure about Hugh Jackman though... not my type of guy. Way too manly for my taste. *dodges tomatoes* But as I read, it would be a great movie. And if there are great landscapes to marvel at... I'm in.
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
Way too manly for my taste. *dodges tomatoes*
Is there such a thing?

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Imagination Rules!

Quote:
Way too manly for my taste. *dodges tomatoes*

Is there such a thing?

I know, I'm still struggling with that one myself! I mean, I could mentally (hell, physically) dine on that body for the rest of my life! I think it's quite obvious why Balian is the character of Orli's I'm most drawn too (oooh, those pecs, those arms...that gorgeous HUNK) sorry, having a wee moment. Where was I ?

Oh yeah....Hugh's chesty chest chest - LOVE me a manly man - I hear ya Llyn (sista!)

Old December 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

*shakes head in disbelief*

We are looking forward to your comments after you have seen the film, Beriawen. Although of course it's a good thing that we have different tastes, would be pretty boring otherwise! But yeah, I too like my men to look like men...

~Gem~