Go Back   Orlando Love > Middle-earth and Beyond > Other Movies and TV shows

Old June 30th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Imagination Rules!

I...am...not....going....to....say....a...word...

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:10 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

I can explain, somewhat. I was getting around to posting other bits he said in the Karl Urban gushing thread, since it wasn't relevant to ST (as far as my sis could remember anyway). Hopefully I'll have a chance to do it by tonight. Llyn's gonna love it I think
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
On a Yellow Slide

*Llyneth's computer*: Llyneth can't come out and play right now. She's ded.

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Ah, that's no good! Wonder if it would be any help sending Dr Greenleaf or Dr McCoy
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
at world´s end and beyond

DVD and BLUE RAY big announcements! I want a blue ray player !! >.<

Quote:
Star Trek to Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before
Source: Paramount Home Entertainment
July 17, 2009

Paramount Home Entertainment's Star Trek will hit home video as a One-Disc DVD, a Two-Disc DVD and Three-Disc Blu-ray on November 17. Here is the official press release with all the specs:

This year audiences thrilled at the triumphant voyage of the Starship Enterprise and her young and vibrant crew in movie theaters across the planet--and on November 17, 2009, the world will go where no one has gone before when STAR TREK debuts as a three-disc Blu-ray with digital copy, two-disc DVD with digital copy and a single-disc DVD from Paramount Home Entertainment. Bursting with "spectacular action" (Hollywood Reporter) and "pure filmmaking exhilaration" (Rolling Stone) director J.J. Abrams' sensational reinvention of the "Star Trek" franchise was hailed by critics and embraced by long-time and new fans alike, earning over $375 million at the worldwide box office. Starring a hot young cast including Chris Pine (Carriers), Zachary Quinto ("Heroes"), Zoe Saldana (Avatar), Karl Urban (The Bourne Supremacy), John Cho (Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle), Anton Yelchin (Terminator Salvation) and Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), the global smash hit also features seasoned actors such as Eric Bana (Munich), Bruce Greenwood (National Treasure: Book of Secrets), Winona Ryder (Girl, Interrupted) and the original Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy.

"I cannot wait for fans of Star Trek to check out the home entertainment release of the film. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD -- and especially the Blu-ray -- give a wonderful look at the crazy hard work and incredible fun that went into making this movie," said J.J. Abrams. "The cast and crew were truly extraordinary to work with -- watching these special features, you'll see why. And for people who didn't catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent."

The STAR TREK DVD and Blu-ray will boast out-of-this-world special features to take viewers even further into the new universe of the rousing space adventure. The two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray include in-depth explorations of the reimagining of the franchise, the phenomenal cast, the spectacularly real action sequences, the powerful score and the captivating aliens, commentary by J.J. Abrams, the writers and producers, a gag reel and a digital copy of the film. Additionally, the discs feature compelling deleted scenes that reveal a side story involving Nero with a first-ever look at Abrams' version of the infamous warrior Klingons.

The STAR TREK Blu-ray boldly ventures beyond the final frontier with over three hours of sensational bonus footage including branching pods that allow for enhanced exploration, more fascinating features on the starships, planets, props, costumes and sound of STAR TREK, as well as a Starfleet Vessel Simulator and access to the latest NASA news about real-life space exploration via BD-Live.

The two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray will also offer a home entertainment first: groundbreaking augmented reality technology. Using a webcam, a Star Trek visual cue will morph into a 3D holographic tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise on the screen, providing a unique immersive and interactive experience.

DVD:

The STAR TREK two-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. Special features are as follows:

Disc 1:

* Commentary--By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
* A New Vision-- J.J. Abrams' vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger, more action-packed spectacle, but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of production--from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks--was guided by this overall objective.
* Gag Reel--Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.

Disc 2:

* Digital Copy
* Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
o Spock Birth
o Klingons Take Over Narada
o Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
o Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
o Prison Interrogation and Breakout
o Sarek Gets Amanda
o Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
o Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl
o Sarek Sees Spock
* To Boldly Go-- Taking on the world's most beloved science fiction franchise was no small mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and their strategy for success.
* Casting-- The producers knew their greatest task was finding the right cast to reprise these epic roles. The cast, for their part, talk about the experience of trying to capture the essence of these mythic characters. The piece concludes with a moving tribute to Leonard Nimoy.
* Aliens-- Designers Neville Page and Joel Harlow talk about the hurdles they faced creating new alien species, recreating the Romulans and Vulcans, and designing the terrifying creatures on Delta Vega for the new Star Trek.
* Score-- As a fan of the original series, composer Michael Giacchino embraced the challenge of creating new music for Star Trek while preserving the spirit of Alexander Courage's celebrated theme.
* DVD-Rom:
o STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
o Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
o Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation Network

Blu-ray

The STAR TREK three-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Special features are as follows:

Disc 1:

* Commentary--By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
* NASA News-- This BD-Live feature gives viewers access to the latest NASA news about real space exploration. Learn about new mission developments and check out featured imagery from around the universe.

Disc 2:

* To Boldly Go--See description above.
o Branching Pods:
+ The Shatner Conundrum
+ Red Shirt Guy
+ The Green Girl
+ Trekker Alert!
* Casting--See description above.
* A New Vision--See description above.
o Branching Pods:
+ Savage Pressure
* Starships--Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film's starships.
o Branching Pods:
+ Warp Explained
+ Paint Job
+ Bridge Construction Accelerated
+ The Captain's Chair
+ Button Acting 101
+ Shuttle Shuffle
+ Narada Construction Accelerated
* Aliens--See description above.
o Branching Pods:
+ The Alien Paradox
+ Big-Eyed Girl
+ Big Bro Quinto
+ Klingons
+ Drakoulias Anatomy 101
* Planets-- From the frozen landscape of Delta Vega to the desert plains of Vulcan, Scott Chambliss and the art department had a number of radically different planets to create. Abrams' desire to shoot on real locations whenever possible led the production team to a number of strange and surprising locations.
o Branching Pods:
+ Extra Business
+ Confidentiality
* Props and Costumes-- Property master Russell Bobbitt had the unique challenge of designing props that were both true to the original series and pertinent to today's technology. Likewise, costume designer Michael Kaplan talks about how he designed costumes that paid homage to what came before yet were relevant and timeless.
o Branching Pods:
+ Klingon Wardrobe
* Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek-- When famed sound designer Ben Burtt was hired to create sounds for the first Star Wars film, he took his inspiration from the original "Star Trek" series. Burtt jumped at the opportunity to pay tribute to the sounds that sparked his career with the sounds he created for the new Star Trek.
* Score--See description above.
* Gene Roddenberry's Vision-- J.J. Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, previous Star Trek writers and producers, and scientific consultant Carolyn Porco describe and commend the optimistic and enduring vision of Gene Roddenberry.
* Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary--See details above.
* Starfleet Vessel Simulator--Explore extensive data on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the Romulan ship, the Narada. Submerse yourself in breathtaking 360 views and close-ups and review detailed tech information.
* Gag Reel--See description above.

Disc 3:

* Digital Copy
* STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
* Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
* Weblink to the STAR TREK D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation Network

The STAR TREK single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. The single-disc DVD includes the commentary, "A New Vision" and the gag reel.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM
On a Yellow Slide

NOVEMBER!?!? Bloody hell, why do we have to WAIT so long? I want that blooper reel bad. I mean BAD. Thanks Nel!

Old July 18th, 2009, 01:33 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

*has blue ray player*
Hmm, I expect it will cost a fair bit, being so loaded with stuff. *starts saving*
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Mists View Post
*has blue ray player*
Hmm, I expect it will cost a fair bit, being so loaded with stuff. *starts saving*
* 1-disk DVD — $29.99
* 2-disk DVD — $39.99
* 3-disk Blu-ray — $39.99

that´s in US dollars, you make the change, Avs Then you take screencaps of the blu ray special features for me
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Oh well, might not be as bad as I thought.

Heh, hopefully by then I'll have worked out if and how to take caps on the PS3, and transfer them to the computer!
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

I am total heaven here at Orlando Love. Not only am I among devoted Orlando fans, I am among Star-Trek fans too!

I think I am the last person on planet Earth to have seen this movie on the big screen. Long story, but I finally did! I cried in the first 4 minutes when James T. Kirk came into the world, and it got better and better. I loved how they did the story, the characters were awesome, and who knew that Uhura and Spock had a thing going?

I only read pages 23 to here...I didn't see this thread and had to be directed to it.
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Nan View Post
I am total heaven here at Orlando Love. Not only am I among devoted Orlando fans, I am among Star-Trek fans too!

I think I am the last person on planet Earth to have seen this movie on the big screen. Long story, but I finally did! I cried in the first 4 minutes when James T. Kirk came into the world, and it got better and better. I loved how they did the story, the characters were awesome, and who knew that Uhura and Spock had a thing going?

I only read pages 23 to here...I didn't see this thread and had to be directed to it.
welcome aboard you see? this is one huge thread.
I cried with not only the initial scene of the film but with many others!
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Passionate about the Elf

NOVEMBER??Cool... gives me time to save for a Blu Ray machine.
Thanks, Nel

So Lynne... meet up at my house to watch the film when it comes out in November?
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Nan View Post
We are a devoted bunch, too. I cried my brains out at the beginning of the film!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkwoodelfchick View Post
So Lynne... meet up at my house to watch the film when it comes out in November?
On Blu-ray? Sweet. I'll start packing.

Old July 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

This is reason enough to pay a little extra to get a Blu Ray player on the laptop when I buy it.
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:18 PM

Star Trek Movie Blu-ray & DVD Packaging + Best Buy Gift Set Announced

*click*

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/24/star...set-announced/

for those who live in the US , that blue ray gift set looks amazing!

EDIT: the dvd has its own website, and PLEASE, check the clip with the sneak peek at the exclusive features... I am all tears with Leonard! >.<

http://www.startrekmovie.com/comiccon/

Last edited by Neldorwen; July 25th, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:06 AM
On a Yellow Slide

Oh Jesus, Nel, I got a little teary hearing Leonard Nimoy speak too! Can't wait to get my hands on all those extra features. Thanks for the link!

Old October 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM

*bumps*

I bumped the thread to post this funny gag reel from the ST movie nothing better than seeing hot men doing silly things

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=29045
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Mrs. Brian Epkeen

Thanks for posting that!

Gorgeous avatar and signature by erendira!
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
On a Yellow Slide

GOT MY DVD TODAAAAAAAAAAY! WOOT! Anybody watched the extra stuff yet? The gag reel is HI-LAR-IOUS!!!!!!

Old November 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyneth View Post
GOT MY DVD TODAAAAAAAAAAY! WOOT! Anybody watched the extra stuff yet? The gag reel is HI-LAR-IOUS!!!!!!

of course I did, and the gag reel is the best. Loved the interviews, the entire crew, JJ is a freak! and Eric had some very interesting cut scenes (klingons included)

Edit: here are pics from the ST DVD release party

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/11...release-party/

Last edited by Neldorwen; November 18th, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I loved that shot of Eric shirtless at the prison colony!!!! How could they have cut that out?

Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Once bitten, twice shy

I just watched it a couple of nights ago. Though I'm not a treckie, I really enjoyed it. It's different to see a good action movie that I can let my boys watch too.
And I never thought a vulcan could be so hot!
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM

a hot vulcan... hot humans... hot romulan

I&#180;ve just read what should have been Bill Shatner&#180;s Kirk part on this movie, and I must said I should have cried MORE than I did . Here it is (source)

Quote:
The Star Trek 2009 Scene Written For William Shatner

*this is at the end, both Spocks are at the hangar*

ALTERNATE SCENE B

SPOCK PRIME
Then I ask that you do yourself a
favor… put away logic, and do what
feels right. The world you’ve inherited
lives in the shadow of incalculable
devastation… but there’s no reason you
must face it alone.

And from around his neck, he removes the PENDANT that
until now, we’ve only caught glimpses of. Places it on
the table beside his younger self. The feeling in his
eyes is profound…

SPOCK PRIME (CONT’D)
This was a gift to me. Representing…
a dream. One we were unable to fulfill.
(softly)
The way you can now.

And moves to the door. Stops. Offers the VULCAN SALUTE:

SPOCK PRIME (CONT’D)
As my customary farewell would appear
oddly self serving, I will simply say…
good luck.

Their eyes hold. Spock turns, disappearing into the
corridor. Young Spock stares at the empty doorway a
beat, his mind a jumble of thoughts. Looks to the
pendant… and realizes it’s a HOLO-EMITTER. After
considering a beat, he hits an activation button and a
MOVING HOLOGRAPHIC MESSAGE materializes before him:

CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK. WILLIAM SHATNER. As always,
brash, wry, confident — and SINGING:

KIRK/ SHATNER
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to
you…
(stops, grins)
I know I know, it’s illogical to
celebrate something you had nothing to do
with, but I haven’t had the chance to
congratulate you on your appointment to
the ambassadorship so I thought I’d seize
the occasion… Bravo, Spock — they tell
me your first mission may take you away
for awhile, so I’ll be the first to wish
you luck… and to say…
(beat, emotional)
I miss you, old friend.

… and we’re PUSHING IN on Young Spock, taking in the
image of Kirk’s future self, the message, but above all —
the clear, unquestionable friendship these two men had…

INT. CORRIDOR – CONTINUOUS

As Spock Prime walks off down the corridor, he passes
right by a man conferring with a nurse — the man pauses,
turns… it’s SAREK. Suddenly overcome by a feeling that
the stranger who’s just passed him is… oddly familiar.

KIRK/SHATNER (V.O.)
I suppose I’d always imagined us…
outgrowing Starfleet together. Watching
life swing us into our Emeritus years…

INT. STARBASE ONE – HANGAR – ETERNAL NIGHT

MUSIC BUILDING — glass walls reveal THE ENTERPRISE at
dock, UTILITY CRAFTS floating around it, repairing.
Standing at attention in rows, THE ENTERPRISE CREW —
over four hundred of them wearing DRESS UNIFORMS — TRACK
DOWN the faces, all proud:

KIRK/SHATNER (V.O.)
I look around at the new cadets now and
can’t help thinking… has it really been
so long? Wasn’t it only yesterday we
stepped onto the Enterprise as boys?
That I had to prove to the crew I
deserved command… and their respect?

And we STOP ON YOUNG KIRK. Composed, focused, proud. A
man. And to every fan’s delight, finally wearing his
YELLOW SHIRT. The FEDERATION COMMANDANT stands at a
podium:

COMMANDANT
This assembly calls Captain James
Tiberius Kirk…

Kirk breaks from formation, pivots, marches down the
hangar — past UHURA… SULU… CHEKOV… SCOTTY. All
Beaming. Notably absent, is Spock. Kirk ascends the
stairs, snaps to attention:

COMMANDANT (CONT’D)
Your inspirational valor and supreme
dedication to your comrades are in
keeping with the highest traditions of
service and reflect utmost credit to
yourself, your crew, and the Federation.
By Starfleet Order 28455, you are hereby
directed to report to Commanding Officer,
USS Enterprise, for duty as his relief.

Kirk turns. Walks to… PIKE. In a wheelchair now,
wearing an ADMIRAL’S UNIFORM. Overnight, his hair’s
turned totally grey — but despite his trauma, his
pride’s overwhelming. They SALUTE each other:

KIRK
I relieve you, Sir.

PIKE
… I am relieved.

He opens a BOX in his lap — glorious in repose, a MEDAL:

PIKE (CONT’D)
And as Fleet Admiral, for your… unique
solution to the Kobayashi Maru, it’s my
honor to award you with a commendation
for original thinking.

Pike containing a smirk, pins the medal to Kirk’s
chest…

PIKE (CONT’D)
(a touch choked)
Congratulations, Captain.

KIRK
Thank you, Sir.

Kirk turns to the crowd. Eyes shining. WILD APPLAUSE.
OUR MUSIC SOARS. Bones leans in to Sulu, rolling his
eyes:

BONES
… Same ship, different day.

As Kirk rejoins his crew for hugs and congratulations, we
go to the BACK of the hangar… SPOCK PRIME. Watching.
Moved beyond words. He turns and leaves them to it… as
he goes…

KIRK/SHATNER (V.O.)
I know what you’d say — ‘It’s their turn
now, Jim…’ And of course you’re
right… but it got me thinking:

INT. STARFLEET HOSPITAL – EARTH – DAY

Our montage comes full circle as we END on Kirk’s
transmission:

KIRK/SHATNER
Who’s to say we can’t go one more round?
By the last tally, only twenty five
percent of the galaxy’s been chartered…
I’d call that negligent. Criminal even —
an invitation. You once said being a
starship captain was my first, best
destiny… if that’s true, then yours is
to be by my side. If there’s any true
logic to the universe… we’ll end up on
that bridge again someday.

Stops, grins. Because this is the part he needs to say
most…

KIRK/SHATNER