Go Back   Orlando Love > The Graphics Gallery > In Celebration - Featured Artists of Orlando Love

Old March 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Andnolewen's (Tonny) Top 10

I feel flattered and honored to be the next artist "in Celebration"
(I've always wanted to say that) but seriously;I feel very honored Nuit has asked me.

Ten she said, choose a Top Ten......
It was a tough job, almost impossible, but whenever asked “what is your favorite”, there are a few drawings that just stand out.

-Of course there are the ones Orlando signed. That simply is the greatest reward for all the hard work.

-And then there are Viggo, Andy Serkis, Billy Boyd, John Rhys Davies, Ioan Gruffudd and Lee Mead;
all have been so gracious and kind to honor my work with their comments and signatures.
(That Viggo one -of Alatriste- has a special story: sent by me by mail to my friend in Italy who went to see him in Rome. On her way there her luggage got stolen and my drawing along with it. The police found her bag back the day after in a different city where she had to go and pick it up. The drawing was slightly damaged but my friend returned just in time to Rome and had it signed eventually by Viggo, earning hugs and kisses from him. It is now safely on my wall).

-There’s all the Orlando characters which I have done, all except Blackburn.

-There’s short hair, long hair and tied back hair.

-Then there are the drawings appreciated by readers of my thread here on O-love, where ‘V-man Orlando’ was one of the biggest hits.

-My Deviant Art page where the ‘Captain of the Flying Dutchman’ was the most favored drawing of my entire collection.

-There is recognition on my Star-Portraits page where a ‘Will AWE’ painting got 9600(!) hits –amazing, even though I think it isn’t my best.-, another ‘Will DMC’ painting was portrait of the day on August 10, 2006.

-And the most popular drawing on the internet I ever made was the Viggo/Orlando hug.

I could all post those here and be up to 25 already! Let alone all the other actors I did and my commissions of Orlando and of “real” people.

So I thought hard about which ones and brought them down to a few highlights –mostly Orlando because he is my muse- and
various mediums to show diversity of what I have done so far. I hope you enjoy them.

1. He’s a Pirate.

It was summer of 2003, I picked up my pencils again. I have been drawing on and off my entire life but LOTR inspired me so much, I needed to do something with it. I had tried some Leggy’s and elves in 2002, but I really got started when I saw ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ and THAT hat. I HAD to draw it. I think it’s still one of my best.
The phrase “Big gay hat –as I sub named it- has led a life of it’s own since *gg*

2. Legolas Greenleaf.

The credits of ROTK are so beautiful and Legolas is the ultimate inspiration for me. I admire Alan Lee and John Howe greatly.
This is one of my favorite Leggy’s, though it doesn’t hold a candle to that gorgeous black and white picture.
I’m still trying to draw the ultimate Legolas. He’s just too perfect.

3. The hands.

These hands brought me and Neldorwen closer. I had done a hand/arms drawing for a friend and posted it in my thread here at O-love.
Nel saw it and challenged me to do Orlando’s hands. So we exchanged pictures and after long hours of adding shades and outlining veins, the hands were forged and along with it our bond of friendship. The hands also feature on my visiting card. (made by Nel)
Interesting detail: The picture from which I drew them, was actually mirrored *g*

4. ‘Heaven’ as I call it.

This might very well be my favorite drawing. First, because it came out good and second, because that drawing and I have been through a lot!
It was difficult to draw because of the angle of his head, but I was determined to finish it because I was totally in love with that picture of him looking up. And it was meant to come with me to the KOH premiere in London in 2005 which was uncertain for a while whether I could go and whether Orlando would attend. After final confirmation, I brushed up the drawing a little bit more and off we went.

Nearly 11 hours of protecting it from smudging, crushing and folding (and guarding it with my life sort of), in the maddening crowd,
Orlando was before me and I managed to reach it out above heads and arms into his direction, catching his eye and his smile not sure where it would lead.
I will never forget that moment when I pulled it back and saw he actually had signed it.

5. Passion.

During that same year (KOH fever) I did a series of Balian’s back and the koh love scene called the ‘Passion series’ *g* I had found a new kind
of lovely pencils, water soluble and experimented a lot with them. Out of that series comes this one.
The only one I actually dared to include in Orlando’s folder. And a drawing I really like because of ....erm.. the way I was able to depict
a scene and bring those feelings across. (honestly!! *ggg*)

6. Captain Turner.

In 2006 I worked very hard and did a lot of drawings and paintings. More experimenting with water color paint this time and bigger sizes.
This is actually one of my favorite watercolor paintings, made during the DMC madness

7. Sidi.

What can I say about this one that most of you do not know already.
It was the summer of 2007, and Orlando was on stage in Londonand I was going there. A lot.
Having done a big banner the year before at DMC premiere which Orlando loved, and having already given another stack of drawings,
I had a hard time figuring out what to do next and give to him that would be special. I had given him binders with copies so far and kept the originals. This time I was going to make him one and actually give it to him if I had the chance.

So I tried my hands on the dog. *gg* I was actually amazed that it came out this good as I never drew animals before.
I remember my mom saying when I finished it: “He’s going to love that so much.” And she was right.

Giving Orlando this drawing triggered a series of events I will not bore you with here again, but it was one of the best things
happening to me ever. That amazing look in his eyes when he told me he loved it so much is still so very clear and vivid in my mind.
I will treasure that moment forever!

8. Just Orlando.

I’ve done a lot of Orlando portraits and this is one of the more recent ones.
I like to think that it also shows how much I have developed myself over the past years and how I sometimes actually can capture that specific Orlando look. In this one: the killer smile and the twinkle in his eyes.

9. Balian, defender of Jerusalem.

Time to expand to bigger sheets.. A 50 x 70 cm drawing I made of one of my favorite and most inspiring characters
(you would not guess eh?): Balian.
And I made it just for me.

9A. Young Master Turner.

Nel is going to kill me if I do not include her Birthday present of 2008 in here too:another big one
(the other frequently drawn character):Will!

10. And there is more..

Besides drawing Orlando, I have been doing quite a few commissions the past two years, for people who asked me. Mostly portraits of children. This is one of my latest.
It is special because it features my sister’s adopted son who came to us from Thailand in November 2007 and has since stolen all our hearts.
He is already turning into a Pirates and a Lotr fan and I cannot wait to show him all the movies. He loves Orlando: especially my action figures of Legolas and Will the pirate. Now who’s fault is that eh
I made this for my sister when we celebrated his one year in his new home anniversary

Thanks to everyone who has supported me through the past years here and elswhere!

Last edited by Andnolewen; March 9th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:47 PM
at worldīs end and beyond

"the hands were forged and along with it our bond of friendship" ....

You are not only incredibly talented but also my friend for the rest of my life. With you I spent the most memorable time of my life when I travelled alone and meet you in London.

Keep bringing all your masterpieces for the joy of the world´s eyes! (i don´t know if it makes any sense, but you know what I mean! )

*more hugs*
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Krazy for the Elf

You are an amazing artist Tonny. Thank you for sharing all of these beauties with us. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to choose just 10 to post here. All of your drawings are master pieces! I can see that you put a lot of love and hard work into them.

That one of Orlando's hands, just left me staring.... and the last one of your adopted nephew is something that will be a family treasure.

Kat
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

You know I'm your #1 fan...all of your drawings are my favourite.

Your drawings brought us together, and we have been friends ever since.
You and your drawings are very special

Keep drawing, keep sharing....you are very, very talented
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Dreamer

Tonny they are just beautiful. I am as always in awe of your talent. Thank you so much for the memories and the reminders.

It was the last of your nephew that really made me both choke up and smile and the same time...that is stunning and you can see that love that you have for him reflecting back to you.

Signature and Icon by Erendira
**Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club**
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Alive...and kicking

Dear Tonny,I knew you're gonna be here...you have to be here,cos you really deserve it.You're an artist and your drawings a thing of beauty....what to say about that Balian,Defender of Jerusalem ,as gorgeous as our knight himself..and the portrait of your nephew,what a wonderful present for your sister....and my favourite: those hands are his hands....strong and manly and elegant...sigh
You said that you feel honored for being "invited" to post in this thread...but are we all who are honored for have such a talent among us,we´re really fortunate,thank you so much for sharing yor art with us,keep doing it...

Last edited by erendira; March 9th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Tonny, all your drawings are so wonderful it must have been hard to choose the top ten. But the ones you have chosen are really outstanding. I canīt even say which drawing is my favorite those are all masterpieces. You know your drawings inspired me to draw myself and I cannot thank you enough for all your comments about my drawings.

You are a very talented artist. Thank you so much for sharing your work and I canīt wait to see the next one.

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Passionately Enthralled

*is blown away*

Honestly, Tonny... I've said it before and will say it again: Your drawings are AMAZING!

The hands... I never thought of trying that out, actually. Hands are the most difficult parts to paint/draw...

And, well... your Orlando encounters... *has severe celebric failure remembering the stories* Well, yep... they speak for themselves... *gosh* And to own a self-made drawing signed by him...

And I simply love that portrait of the kid!
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Imagination Rules!

Wow....just wow. Seeing them all there together was a smorgasbord of beautiful creativity and incredible talent and I just kept going "oh wow..." "OH WOW, I remember THAT ONE...oh WOW!" The Balian ones, particularly Defender...(I am SO jealous) are incredible, but you know, your nephew was the one that grabbed me around the heart - just stunning and so very beautiful. My neighbour is 80 and an old Italian who is incredibly gifted, like you, and who has done the most stunning portraits for the kids in the street - the one of my son is so perfect in pastel that everyone who sees it thinks it's a photo. Art like yours and his should be treasured - we treasure having your art here and that you share it with us - thanks Tonny, oh Artiste in Residence!

hugs
Luna
xx

Befriend many, Trust few, Harm none.
Imagination is the Key to all Wonder
** Proud Member of the Special K Breakfast Club **
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Buried Alive by Love

Well, not much more I can add to what everyone else has said,those hands.... Wonderful drawings,amazing talent and yes,so hard for you to choose just 10
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
On a Yellow Slide

Tonny, just fantasic works of art! You are amazingly gifted, and it is very generous of you to share your stuff here with us. My favorites above are Legolas (of course) and the watercolor of Will. Just breathtaking!

Shameless Middle Earth Hussy #1 *addictive avi by the lovely (and evil) Serein*
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
It's in his eyes...

Tonny I've lost count how many times I said I love your work! But I can't say it enough, you are an amazing artist!
If I have to pick a favorite drawing from those above then it would be the Balian you made for yourself and the boy is cute, no wonder he stole your heart!
But of course the drawing I love the most is the one you made for me, I stare at it everyday and it still leaves me speechless thank you Tonny!
And thank you for sharing your talent here with us and keep drawing.

Siggy and avi made by Mirk! Icon made by Mata!
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
besotted with buttons

Congratulations Tonny- you deserve all the praise and wonder! It is wonderful to see all these on one place and to hear your explanations and background. I had never seen the passion one and have been staring open mouthed for a while- and not just about the subject matter! Love the heavier, appropriately so, pencil lines- it is brilliant. The pictures of Balian really shine, it is easy to see your passion for him. Love the water colour too!

I hope you are rightly proud of your talent and Orlando has a very dedicated fan!

It is hard to pic a favourite, so I am not going to, but just to say that your portrait of your nephew is simply beautiful and so full of life. Just lovely.

Sig and avatar by Erendira Larrikin Mary- Joe Byrne Fan Fiction
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Tonny, those are truly beautiful - congratulation!
I couldn't pick a favourite, but the watercolour painting is stunning - you're a marvellous artist
I wish I had only 10% of your talent
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Pervy Picture Handler

Tonny, your work and your talent are simply amazing. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
How many times have I been rendered speechless when admiring a new drawing by you.
I can't easily choose a favourite either, but if I had to, the drawing of Orlando's hands would be amongst the top of the list.

~ Naz ~

Orlando's Queen of Pixels. - Naz's Gallery - LJ
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Congratulations Tonny your work is stunning and I feel honoured to have seen it. The Balian portrait made me gasp.

sig by erendira :)
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Passionately Enthralled

You're an artist of incredible talent....thanks for sharing your masterpieces with us!
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Piperbelle

Wow!! They are all beautiful and amazing!! Thanks for sharing your artwork!!
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

w o w.

What a wonderful talent you have. I am blown away looking at all of these... and from what I gather, it is just a small sample of the marvelous work you do. You have the ability to capture the essence of Orlando, or his characters, with such depth and spirit... it just emanates out of your drawings.

I'm looking forward to finding others as I poke my way around this wonderful forum. Thank you so much for sharing these with us. I'm sure your gift must be appreciated by your family as well.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Oh girls you are making me blush! *hides* I cannot tell you how wonderful it feels to read all your messages and comments. This means a great deal to me, I can hardly tell you! Thank you all so much!!!

A few extra words ( I promise I will keep it short *gg*)

Thank you so much for inviting me Nuit
It was great to do and the feedback is heart-warming. I'm glad you loved those "other ones" I sent you as well and yes what Joe is for you, might well be Balian for me- but very very closely followed by the rest. -I can never ever decide- But when I was chosing, most of the choices were Will's and Balian's

Nel, my fellow ghost and partner in crime :I love you!

Kat, Ki, Lola , thanks so much for all your kind words on my nephew's drawing especially. It makes me even more proud *is touched too* you girls are the best!

ElinePI'm so glad we met through here; I have gained a true friend. and again I have him to thank for it

Naz It is my pleasure to share and thank you for your support!
Nenya I am so glad I talked you into drawing again and I know that one day you will be here on this list with your top ten, because I think you are so good!! Llyneth I'm so glad you love that watercolour so much. I promise that I will try to do some more this year!

KayDee I'm so glad you still love your drawing so much and it was my pleasure to do it for you! (yes Balian good choice)

Michaela, Beriawen, Jaw, Piperbelle, Twiglet, Mayfrayn, LakeMorwen thanks so much girls for your words and Beri that makes three signed ones by him already *freaks out*

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Passionately Enthralled

^ Three... gosh, girl... you know what? Next time there will be a premiere in London to which you will surely go on a pilgrimage... I make sure I had passed one of my drawings over to you... for taking it with you and let it be signed by him. I will also pay the costs for sending it back to me. Eh... you wonder why I wouldn't go myself? Answer: Too shy... I would drown in the asphalt that will have melted there below my feet, I tell you!
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beriawen View Post
^... I would drown in the asphalt that will have melted there below my feet, I tell you!
If I survived, so can you!
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
CrazyArthurianElvishCelt

Truly a stunning collection of pieces here, with so many others that could have made an appearance as well! The drawing of your nephew is fantastic too.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:46 AM
At First Sight

Tonny -Congratulations and well deserved hon
It's a pity to have to pick only some of your awesome work to unleash on us but I can see why you chose this favourites
Legolas [ just perfection!] and that Hands drawing... those are the absolute killers for me
Dont stop amazing us with your wonderful talent, Tonny dear
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Thank you both so very much Avs and Jenny for your kind words!
It is much appreciated