Go Back   Orlando Love > Movies and Stage > The Good Doctor
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Passionately Enthralled

New review from the Dublin Film Festival:
http://them0vieblog.com/2012/02/24/n...e-good-doctor/
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks for the review, but it is harsh on Orlando. I don't think it is a habit on critics part and all that he does is overcriticized. Don't know. I don't even know whether I would be able to watch the movie in my country or not, but I am a bit fed up with all those reviews that can't never see anything good in him. I wonder why he dropped out of Albert KNobb, it would have been a good chance for him.

Wonderful siggie and icon designed by my sweet, loved, loved NENYA. you are always in my heart. Talented artist!
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Totally Gob Smacked

Critiques, in the main, have been good for this film and Orlando's work in it. What are the credentials of this particular critic? Why should we be dismayed by his opinion? One swallow does not a summer make!

Indies all seem to have trouble in attracting Distributors, but I live in hope of seeing this one.

This beautiful Set gifted by the talented erendira. Thanks ever Lola!
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Critics.. it is just a matter of opinions isn't it?.
And sometimes these opinions are opposite from one critic to another reviewer.

Even with the big movies.
There were loads of critics who thought Orlando was not fit for KOH.
That didn't stop us :)

(And he obviously he dropped out of Albert Nobbs because it coincided with the birth of their first child)

"What man is a man that does not make the world better"

*Click here to see my art gallery*

Last edited by Andnolewen : February 25th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Most critics have gotten into the habit of reviewing movies unfairly expecting oscar worthy material in every movie they see. I saw a couple of movies this and last week and still don't understand how some of them have been panned the way they have. But it is just one review. Believe it or not there are people who think LOTR is a bad movie or whatever amazing movie you can think of.

siggie by shenanyginz
Visit my fashion blog dres♥scapades!
And my tumblr iDresscapades
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Photo Fanatic

I believe Orlando said in some interview that he dropped out of Albert Nobbs because he wanted to be with Miranda at their baby's birth.
And I've rarely agreed with any critic's opinion, with or without Orlando. See the movie and judge for yourself!

Keeper of Legolas' Lothlorien Bow & White Knives
Old February 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Madly, Truly, Deeply in Love

Yeah, They were filming Albert Nobbs in Ireland when Miranda ready to deliver at any moment in LA.
If he had not pulled out of the film, he would have missed the birth of his first child. No way he could let that happen.

As for the review, I wouldn't worry about anything. Other critics have given him very good marks for this film. I just hope that we get a chance to see it soon!
Old February 25th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Totally Gob Smacked

Definitely see the movie yourself whenever it becomes available. Best bet until the DVD comes out, if ever, is to keep an eye on the film festivals near you.

I DID see The Good Doctor last year and I have to agree with this reviewer on several points. I'm still going to buy a DVD when the times comes.

I don't always agree with the critics either. (I still think Malick's Tree of Life is a piece of cr@p and can't believe there are 'experts' bemoaning the fact that it isn't a frontrunner in the Oscar race).
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Alive...and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
I wonder why he dropped out of Albert KNobb, it would have been a good chance for him.
Ah Helen you perfectly know why he did,everybody knows...the shooting was scheduled for several months earlier,but they had problems and dalayed it,no chance for his wife to delay the delivery of their son,and of course,if you're a decent person, FAMILY is more important that work....by other hand,did you see the reviews of that movie?I don't think he has lost the opportunity of his life,it was just a supporting role.
But this is all a bit OT,this is TGD thread,let's talk about it...
My two cents: haven't seen the movie myself,I can't agree or desagree with this reviewer,but I understand that he's complaining mainly about the script and the development of the main character,more than about Orlando's performance in fact.Anyway a review is just an opinion,everyone can have its own....and I like to think on my own,so I'll wait untill I see the movie.

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks for cheering me up a little. I didn't remember he dropped out that role for the birth of Flynn. I think he is a great, talented actor, and as you said, it happened the same with KOH and he was absolutely great. I feel sorry for him in case he knows about the reviews. Hope to see the movie. I am sure you understand I would like he was acclaimed as the great actor he is. They are some actor who are obviously less talented than Orlando and they get better reviews. Suppose money has to do with that too.
Let's hope we can see the movie in our country. I really miss him in the theatres!!

Wonderful siggie and icon designed by my sweet, loved, loved NENYA. you are always in my heart. Talented artist!
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Lost in Kelly Country

I like to decide for myself too; people's tastes can be very different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete View Post
I don't always agree with the critics either. (I still think Malick's Tree of Life is a piece of cr@p and can't believe there are 'experts' bemoaning the fact that it isn't a frontrunner in the Oscar race).
I wholeheartedly agree with you Japete, the only reason I didn't walk out of the cinema after the first 20 minutes was because I kept thinking surely it must get better... And it never did.

My beautiful avi and sig by the lovely Lola, thank you!
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Passionately Enthralled

that was exactly I was referring to... Why are some booooring films and more than mediocre perfomances, and though they are exolted. Some names are linked to good reviews no matter the kind of films it is, the boring the script is or if there is no script at all. And another names are usually mauled. I was referring to that.

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Passionately Enthralled

Quote:
Orlando Bloom produces and stars in a dark, disturbingly funny psychological thriller “The Good Doctor”
At the 36th annual Cleveland International Film Festival Lance Daly’s The Good Doctor (2011) was highlighted as one of the top must-sees. Dr. Martin Ploeck (Orlando Bloom) is a self-indulgent resident doctor who has convinced himself practicing medicine has all to do with society’s due respect and the adoring women (which we figured those perks were at least a tiny part of it). His odd behavior and narcissistic tendencies are harmless in the beginning, and are even taken as somewhat humorous, but things take a dramatic turn as he grows closer to one of his patients Diane Nixon (Riley Keough).The 18 year-old is suffering a rare kidney infection and is being forced a bed-ridden extended stay, allowing time for her and Dr. Martin’s relationship to become somewhat intimate. As Diane’s sickness winds down and the time comes for her to leave, Dr. Martin takes unexpected extremes to ensure he will see Diane again, resulting in him putting people’s lives on the line and driving himself into a sick obsession.

The Good Doctor features an exceptional performance by Orlando Bloom and shows just how much people can be suckered into a person’s ascribed status, in this case, Dr. Martin’s title as a residential doctor. That no matter how guilty someone is, their front will have people fully convinced that their delusions of reality are in fact the truth; they will even talk themselves into believing these “truths,” too.
http://loopedblog.com/2012/03/25/orl...e-good-doctor/
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Alive...and kicking

Nice review...sure she enjoyed his performance thank you May..

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks for sharing this. Suppose it is great for him

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Great review! Thanks for posting, May!

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Another good review:

Quote:
The Good Doctor was a engaging film about a young doctor doing his residency at a Los Angeles hospital. Concerned that he is being overshadowed by the other residents, Dr. Blake (Orlando Bloom) goes to great lengths to create an interesting case to gain the attention of his superiors. He resorts to Münchausen by Proxy Syndrome on an attractive, young female patient (Riley Keough). To muddle the psychology, he appears to be sexually attracted to his patient as well.

Eventually, his malpractice is discovered by a hospital orderly (the alawys dependable Michael Peña) and Dr. Blake is blackmailed into providing oxycontin. However, you underestimate the good doctor at your own risk...

Part thriller, part psychological drama, The Good Doctor's centerpiece is Orlando Bloom's outstanding performance. Nuanced and never obvious, his Dr. Blake is seriously flawed before the stress of medical residency and extortion push him over the edge. Rob Morrow as the attending physician also eye catching. He makes great use out of a pair eyeglasses that detach in the nose bridge.

I remember seeing an interview with Jimmy Stewart where the conversation turned to noted character actor Strother Martin. Martin wanted a few innocuous sounding props for his scene. I think a piece of string was one of them. Stewart objected as he knew Martin's movements and gesticulations with the string would fascinate the audience to the detriment of his screen presence. That's what I feel like with Rob Morrow in The Good Doctor. When he unsnaps those glasses in the middle, I couldn't help but think how great those eyeglasses. Morrow does it multiple times throughout the film such that I was anticipating the movement.

That digression shouldn't lower one's opinion of The Good Doctor. The film is taut and completely engrossing notwithstanding Morrow's eyewear.
http://hannibalchew.blogspot.de/2012...st-part-4.html

Icon and sig by me. Thanks Kat and Lola for the tuts
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Passionately Enthralled

thanks for the review. great to know he has a reason to be happy today.

Old April 6th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Passionately Enthralled

Thanks Nenya! I can't wait to see it!

siggie by shenanyginz
Visit my fashion blog dres♥scapades!
And my tumblr iDresscapades
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Alive...and kicking

Thanks Nenya...always a pleasure to read such things about his work.Hope I can do my own review soon...

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Passionately Enthralled

A review from the RiverRun International Film Festival in Winston Salem N.C.

"The Good Doctor" Narrative feature. Special screening. Rated PG-13. 93 minutes. Showing at 6:30 p.m. April 15 at UNCSA Main.

Orlando Bloom stars in this disturbing film about a young doctor with a desperate need for respect and attention. He grows fond of a young patient with a kidney infection … an attachment bordering on obsession. He begins tinkering with her medication to keep her sick enough to remain with him in the hospital, a decision that leads to complications he didn't foresee. As unsettling as it is, the film is engaging and Bloom gives a strong performance. You'll cringe, but you'll keep watching. — Susan Gilmor

http://www2.relishnow.com/entertainm...ws-ar-2152162/

Last edited by Ginger : April 15th, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Alive...and kicking

Nice to know...thank you Ginger.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

The Good Doctor in the Sun *snort*

but this is the good news for UK : The movie hits UK screens on July 27

Last edited by Andnolewen : May 24th, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
In Love

I'm still waiting to see if it will come to the main theatre where I am! I may invite a family friend, who is also a fangirl, to come watch it with me. If it makes it to where we are, that is!
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Orliperve Extraordinaire

Let's hope so!

Quote:
If it makes it to where we are, that is
Where exactly are you?