Orlando Love

Orlando Love (http://orlandolove.net/orlandolove/index.php)
-   The Three Musketeers (http://orlandolove.net/orlandolove/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   The Three Musketeers, Film discussion (http://orlandolove.net/orlandolove/showthread.php?t=15261)

Andnolewen September 8th, 2011 10:01 PM

The Three Musketeers, Film discussion

Post all your thoughts on the movie here!

dustfinger September 17th, 2011 02:43 PM

This is the place to post about oneīs thoughts about the movie, isnīt it? Iīve seen it twice now, although the second time wasnīt exactly planned... Anyway, I didnīt have high expectations and probably wouldnīt have watched it if Orlando wasnīt in it, to be honest. In the end I really enjoyed the movie, more so the second time around. Probably because the audience was better, more receptive and responsive. The movie is supposed to be entertaining and it IS entertaining as well as funny and diverting. You just have to let yourself kind of like falling into it without expecting too much.

The first time I didnīt really like the first 10 to 15 minutes and I still donīt like Orlandoīs first scene in general. A shame really, because he looked so good in it...:wink2: I could have done without some of Millaīs scenes and wasnīt a fan of her or her character in general. I also could have done without the slow motion and some scenes reminded me a bit too much of Pirates of the Caribbean. I also donīt know what to think about the Musketeers, although Iīm not familiar with them to begin with. I quite enjoyed Ray Stevenson as Porthos, Matthew Macfadyen was okay as Athos, but I wasnīt really sold on Luke Evansī Aramis. But probably Aramis just is supposed to be like that. Logan Lerman did a fine job, Christoph Waltz kind of was the same as in most of his movies, Mads Mikkelsen and Juno Temple probably did the best with what they were given. Iīm not sure about the way they portrayed King Louis, but I think Freddie Fox was quite good regardless.

As for Orlando – I loved him as Buckingham. Not only his way of playing/portraying the character, but also the character himself. Okay, heīs not likeable in a traditional meaning, but I still kind of liked him. Heīs not really that evil, heīs just charming, cunning and vain. Oh, and personally I didnīt think of Jack Sparrow at all while watching him... And I donīt care about historical accuracy – I absolutely loved his costumes and his little "fashion war" with King Louis. During all of his scenes you could see that he had fun playing Buckingham. And his last scene is quite promising...:wink2:

I also really enjoyed the soundtrack and the locations. Iīm from Bavaria/Franconia and apart from Herrenchiemsee Iīve been to all the places they used in the movie. It was great but also kind of strange seeing them like that. Especially DīArtagnan riding into Paris across the bridge of Würzburg...:wink2: Oh, and usually I try to avoid 3D because I canīt stand it, but I didnīt mind it here.

I tried to keep it spoiler free, but I just wanted to share my general opinion.

erendira September 17th, 2011 06:08 PM

Thank you very much for your review dustfinger.As you, I wouldn't go to watch it if Orlando wasn't there....but I'm too curious about the duke...I'm glad that I just heard good things about his performance :D...looking forward to see him again in the big screen...at last!.

Neldorwen September 17th, 2011 08:45 PM

great review, Dustfinger. I thikn thereīs a general opinion about how good was Orlando as the Duke. And now I am more excited to know thereīs a promising ending for him .
Canīt wait anymore! is it October yet?? *o*